What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Longer Available Stern Pinball Speaker Lights and Inserts

Colywobbles

Banned
Site Supporter
Alias
Billy Big B*llocks
I was asked to make some of these for a couple of forum members for their SM pins and was so impressed at how they looked I chucked a set in my FG & IM pins and that boring wood speaker panel is now not so ugly.
A great addition to anyone’s Sam/Whitestar pin with or without the speaker lights fitted here are a few examples of what I have been playing around with.

The design is nice and simple but really effective and this is how I have done them.

B000986F-5C56-4099-83D7-30EE7360E660.jpeg

451F0DE1-FF34-48F7-867C-A2E993638E2D.jpeg

8D4145C1-730B-4B41-A1AA-DA6C1822AF65.jpeg

I then added some LED strip popped it on my new IM speaker kit and hey presto TaaDaaa!

289F4874-52EB-4316-A647-CFCC22EF47F3.jpeg

B9C84036-94E5-499B-A5F3-641ED57D7B20.jpeg

ok now to try some various options and do the SM inserts I was asked for One in black and one in red

28BD0BF2-B929-49EA-BE90-F14453C89E81.jpeg

F9849CC9-D9E7-4759-BC1F-CFACDE283464.jpeg

84C0BAD1-5D2D-4B84-83B1-6747BF4D5C64.jpeg

26386631-1901-4137-B2E5-E9E8FB1E0C20.jpeg

F7CFCECE-54AA-4381-89D2-E121550D1C51.jpeg

my usual better in the flesh statement hold true as photos really don’t give justice and even without inserts they look cool beans.

2B59462B-5612-4276-8454-87DD6BAB627E.jpeg

The big question is would there be any interest in these before I spend hours designing inserts for various pins that no one wants?

I was thinking of pricing them up the following way.

A Pair of speaker lights in Red, Blue or White £19 delivered

A pair of my Inserts or you think up your own and I’ll design them for you £14 delivered

If ordered together both the above £29 delivered

For those on a budget and would like to make their own speaker lights with Remote RGB Strips /Remote RGB Chase strips you supply the glue and I will Supply the kit in the 1st picture above for a tenner inc P&P as Dickie would say “cheap as chips”

One things for sure I’ll never be a millionaire out of this malarkey and I’m sure some of my hair brained ideas must Get on some of you guys tits so just ignore me im used to it off the wife. :rofl:

Thoughts, ideas and advice greatly appreciated.

Col

Attachments

• A3E89F52-6E39-4918-A6B9-8FEB6508D3E8.jpeg
    A3E89F52-6E39-4918-A6B9-8FEB6508D3E8.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 17
Can I order a set of TWD ones please. The design is out there. Although it’d be amazing if it could be Rick and the gun one side and zombie the other. Although I’m sure that’s much more effort. Come on other TWD owners, you know you wanna.

Col,
Can you make the ones in the first pic as thin as possible for use on Stern Spike machines?? (Limited clearance behind the speaker)....
So in other words, thin enough to _Just_ be able to take the led strip...

Am happy to trial in GB..

These look great and are a great price, they look really professional. When I get my first pin I will definitely be in touch to order some of these! You’ll need to work on a turtles footprint I’d imagine [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I order a set of TWD ones please. The design is out there. Although it’d be amazing if it could be Rick and the gun one side and zombie the other. Although I’m sure that’s much more effort. Come on other TWD owners, you know you wanna.
I'd be interested in a set for TWD too, and maybe my AC/DC Pro Vault. These both have Stern's metal speaker panels with round holes. Does that make a difference?

Where do the LEDs connect to?

We highly recommend Col. At new forest pinball!....we are always bothering him for custom plastic parts.....always delivers just what we require....here’s @Colywobbles inserts on our own spidey.....cool[emoji7]
View attachment 110045

Those spiders look like their living in your speaker. Look awesome [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not the grille, the spacer.

sold to lots on here. wayneJ, bartron, grizz, nickm. LOTS and hey were 5 quid a set. Now I don't mind someone designing their own but a direct reverse engineer is a bit much.
speaker light.png

The whole thing is dodgy ground from a licensing and copyright perspective. Be careful.

My design. Wasn't asked if ok to copy. Nice.

I am pretty sure Colin was not aware you designed these or even produced them I have never seen you offering them on here commercially
Colin has offered a service on here to help people out with clear plastics and other parts probably at little or no profit

not the grille, the spacer.

sold to lots on here. wayneJ, bartron, grizz, nickm. LOTS and hey were 5 quid a set. Now I don't mind someone designing their own but a direct reverse engineer is a bit much.View attachment 110072

whooooah hold on a sec 1st off I didn’t realise you sold these or I wouldn’t have made this post 1st place. I was just giving something to the community for what I considered cheap!

As for reverse engineering something means I saw one of these on a pin going through my hands and just sat down and designed it just by looking at it in situ then I’m guilty. I didn’t strip it down and copy the parts just made a couple of prototypes based on how it looked until it worked.

I apologise if I have tread on your toes I will not sell them on the forum or anywhere else for that matter but if You supply a link I will add it to the top for you and just make inserts or design them should anyone want them.

apologies again Col

If you want to sell then fine. Acknowledge that that aren't your design and maybe donate a portion to charity. Either that or design your own from scratch. The idea of speaker lights is universal pretty much like a pop bumper or shaker motor. What isn't acceptable is taking someone else's hard work designing a workable model and just using that.

FFS guys. Does it not occur to you the irony of taking other people’s logo designs and intellectual properties then packaging that into a pinball mod, then complaining that someone ripped off the bit that you actually designed? Get a grip. The hypocrisy.

FFS guys. Does it not occur to you the irony of taking other people’s logo designs and intellectual properties then packaging that into a pinball mod, then complaining that someone ripped off the bit that you actually designed? Get a grip. The hypocrisy.
What logo. Were talking about the housing not the grilles. This is engineering design not artwork. I suggest you take a back seat you clearly have no idea.

OK guys I did send Sven my personal number to apologise in person but seems he prefers to carry the thread on here! Personally I would prefer not too and just move and Apologise once more.

At no time did I think I was taking someones design and just assumed these were the type sold on eBay from £30-50 and the pin that past through my hands gave me the inspiration to make some for myself.

I Will not be supplying these now I’m afraid as I don’t want to cause any bad will among this awesome community As I really love and appreciate all the help I have been given over the years.

I would appreciate if a administrator could lock the thread or remove whichever they think appropriate.

regards Col

@Colywobbles put £2 on a set, @Sven Normansson choose where you want it to go. Be it in your pocket or to a charity. Then move on. The community clearly want these and these are MUCH cheaper than the other suppliers.

Before this gets locked up, I hope you two can come to an agreement because the community will lose out with these not being available at this price. This is something which at that price I would be putting on a number of games.

Oh and they don't fit metal panels. You need my revised design for that. Shame they weren't available to copy. Hey.

I'm sorry this thread has gone the way it has - @Sven Normansson , I get it that no one likes their design being copied.

However....

@Colywobbles , do you have speaker lights for Stern metal panels with round holes? How are they connected please?

Col. No worries as I said. Simply donate a portion to charity. I'll even provide you with a DXF of the modified version. Would have been pretty evident it was someone's design even if it wasn't mine. It's the preparedness to use someone else's work that grinds my gears, sorry, still annoyed at Highway

From a legal perspective regarding artwork, IP and copyright, you need to make sure your design has a minimum of 5 distinct differences between the design it was based on. This is how we work in the video games industry. So when you look at the cars in GTA5 for instance, a Bentley Continental looks like a Bentley Continental but it has those five distinct differences. It might have a different rear end, wheels, wing mirrors or whatever. If you have those five distinct differences you are fairly safe from being sued.

Back
Top Bottom