What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern node fault

Hi Jim,is there any reliable way of checking that something in the machine did not blow the board before you put the new one in .
The best thing is just to run the latest game code which will also update the boards to the latest firmware.

I've got node not found but with all the board leds on, it just never boots (the yellow LED slowly flashes, never goes fast), the game also reports no 48v even though it's everywhere tested (replaced interlock).

The game does eventually boot and play (minus the non working node). The game was on very early code with a knackered node board, updated it and the 48v reporting issue came up and now the node board is again reporting a fault (same node, different board) and there are no faults on the game. I've swapped the non working Node 10 with Node 9 (and adjusted the dips) and that fault moves with the board. The nodes are apparently all on the latest firmware when checked against another game (same title)

Does anyone have a clue?

Last edited:
I've got node not found but with all the board leds on, it just never boots (the yellow LED slowly flashes, never goes fast), the game also reports no 48v even though it's everyhwere tested. The game does eventually boot and play (minus the non working node). The game was on very early code with a knackered node board, updated it and the 48v reporting issue came up and now the node board is again reporting a fault (same node, different board) and there are no faults on the game.

Does anyone have a clue?
The board is not likely repairable because it is a data fault or processor fault. Unfortunately data faults cannot be easily tracked down without a shot change of many parts. and changing parts guessing is not a great idea, Was this the same board you were mentioning before where someone had a go at sorting it and it had no yellow led, or different?

I've got node not found but with all the board leds on, it just never boots (the yellow LED slowly flashes, never goes fast), the game also reports no 48v even though it's everyhwere tested. The game does eventually boot and play (minus the non working node). The game was on very early code with a knackered node board, updated it and the 48v reporting issue came up and now the node board is again reporting a fault (same node, different board) and there are no faults on the game.

Does anyone have a clue?

Re-reading your message, if you changed the node board for known good one, but the node board is not running still in the same place as the previously broken one, then maybe you need to start with a fresh sd game card first.

Re-reading your message, if you changed the node board for known good one, but the node board is not running still in the same place as the previously broken one, then maybe you need to start with a fresh sd game card first.
I've re-flashed the SD card as well, I can't find my spare SD card but my next step was to get a new SD and flash that

It was a known good one from Electrocoin and now that one has decided to report itself missing (not sure the board from EC was new). The game hasn't been used since it was done as I was trying to solve the 48v issue - it would boot and fully work (and now it will eventually boot after 5 goes looking for the node)

I've got a very similar problem with node 9 pcb where I put a new replacement pcb in, which worked initially and then failed shortly after and then comes up with same node 9 not found message.

Logically, I think something is causing the node pcb to fail, so I'm reluctant to try anorther node pcb until I can get the mahcine looked at.

SO I would be cuatious now doing a replacement swap before investigating further for fear that the new node pcb also gets damaged by the machine.

I've got a very similar problem with node 9 pcb where I put a new replacement pcb in, which worked initially and then failed shortly after and then comes up with same node 9 not found message.

Logically, I think something is causing the node pcb to fail, so I'm reluctant to try anorther node pcb until I can get the mahcine looked at.

SO I would be cuatious now doing a replacement swap before investigating further for fear that the new node pcb also gets damaged by the machine.

Yikes, not good. I found the issue that caused mine pretty quickly, it was a coil that had shorted (it's a bad design for it to kill the node board) and the game has no other issues, it's only been used twice since the node was swapped. Like Jim says, it does seem to be a data issue as it has worked once since the "not found" and I've replaced all the RJ45 connectors to rule that out as well

It was a known good one from Electrocoin and now that one has decided to report itself missing (not sure the board from EC was new). The game hasn't been used since it was done as I was trying to solve the 48v issue - it would boot and fully work (and now it will eventually boot after 5 goes looking for the node)
I have a bench setup test rig that I use for diagnosing and fixing all node boards which is seperate to a game itself so I could test this suspect node board from electrocoin to see if it run here ok it not without the danger of ‘infecting’ any other game. It will also reflash the firmware in a specific way which can help to

I can give it a go if you want? I assume you didn’t try this node board in any other game yet???

Yes you have to make sure there are no playfield issues causing the node board to fail first just like you have to with a wpc game, coil, lamp issues etc that hasn’t changed , but I think nick akready said the game has no playfield issues.

I have a bench setup test rig that I use for diagnosing and fixing all node boards which is seperate to a game itself so I could test this suspect node board from electrocoin to see if it run here ok it not without the danger of ‘infecting’ any other game. It will also reflash the firmware in a specific way which can help to

I can give it a go if you want? I assume you didn’t try this node board in any other game yet???

It's not been put into another game, only swapped about in the same game to verfiy the issue was with the node. Thanks for the offer, I'm waiting to hear back from Electrocoin to see if they will change it seeing as it's been used twice since the board was replaced and there are no faults on the playfield. If they won't swap it, I'll be in touch.

I'm still puzzled by the 48v issue though, again that seems like Data with the game believing the coin door is open, it acts exactly the same as if the coin door was open until it boots (and when all nodes work) it will fully work but with the backbox LEDs dimmed.

Back
Top Bottom