What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern node fault

steve brum

Site Supporter
Took delivery of an as new huo star wars pro . Punters love it but last night mid game came up node 8 not found. Tried checking connections but we have not had a node issue before. Any pointers. Going to be a lot of disappointed visitors today!

No yellow leds. Node 9 is working 100%

20200927_105409.jpg

Red led is permanenly on

ADMIN please move to right forum

I’m trying to go off memory here but is there a green led on the board?

Compare it to node 9 if SW has one pretty sure they are the same board across a lot of Spike 2 games.

I lost a node 8 on my Deadpool, had to buy a new one. On mine D9 was short and I was going to replace it as that's just like changing a transistor but then I noticed U9 was blown too with visible burning around it and a small chunk out of it. Replacing the latter was beyond my capabilities so I bought a new one. It would be good if we had someone on here who could repair them at a reasonable cost. Have a close look at U9 to see if it's damaged ( I believe it provides 6V )

20200927_105409.jpg

Knew I had the photos/vid somewhere.

Node board/dead not found on boot up in first pic:771F9915-0F4A-4146-9D66-BA7433881EF8.png

Good node board in this pic, looks like yours doesn’t have the green led showing like mine was above.
0866D597-59AC-4DAA-929B-46F48A3D40C3.png

If a leg has broken off on the diode, you may be able to solder it back on, depending where it has broken. Even if it's right on the edge of the component, you can often solder to it by melting a bit of the plastic enclosure. Might get you going temporarily.

They are interchangeable Steve, there should be 2 of that board on all your newer sterns so you could borrow one off another machine, just make sure you set the dip switches the same as the buggered one.

But it could be repaired........

Has anyone repaired a node board? As far as I know everyone that’s had a dead board has had to replace with a new. Would love to hear someone is repairing them though that would be great for everyone.

they are just a pcb with some surface mounted components. they are most likely repairable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A proficient person has swapped 8 for 9 so it is the node board. Took it away to attempt repair. A pc engineer and pin fan so fingers crossed!

Micro SMD so extremely fiddley and difficult to work with. It's normally the voltage regulator that is blown.

Last edited:
It’s not worth the time and effort repairing them they are not that expensive now anyway
Sw is a bad one because it often takes out the lamp board and trough board too

These sound like a right ball ache, seem to be an issue since they were designed and put in, so noted if i ever decide to purchase said model.

Pretty standard practice for any modern tech these days if any control unit packed up on your car then it’s probably only a pence component but you would have to buy a complete unit

True, stern should fix the design though. I'd love to know how many of these boards are being sold to replace the failed boards. I expect they've outsold replacement Sam boards many, many times over.

At the end of the day, Stern want more money out of you. They are a business. They want and need to make profits.

I have the knowledge to fix these, but I could not be ****d to sit next to hot air station all day doing it.

At the end of the day, Stern want more money out of you. They are a business. They want and need to make profits.

I have the knowledge to fix these, but I could not be ****d to sit next to hot air station all day doing it.
You say that Phil - with the stack of boards that Chris has, you could probably make a killing!!

Back
Top Bottom