What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Node Boards - Reality

How easy are the node boards to swap around? Is it a simple case of disconnecting cables and unscrewing the board? (I assume Stern warranties only extend to the parts and not the labour)

How easy are the node boards to swap around? Is it a simple case of disconnecting cables and unscrewing the board? (I assume Stern warranties only extend to the parts and not the labour)
Don’t forget to change the dips though so the boards ids are correct

The stern service data sheets are not applicable to anything made after the games mentioned. They did the mods in the factory.

It is simply an additional smoothing capacitor that is now on the newer nodes, and the stability thing is a bit of plastic and a cable tie.

Worth doing on Star Wars but you wont have to do it on Stranger things (if you signature of machines you own is up to date).

If you got your game new off Phil Palmer he may still have capacitor kits.

The stern service data sheets are not applicable to anything made after the games mentioned. They did the mods in the factory.

It is simply an additional smoothing capacitor that is now on the newer nodes, and the stability thing is a bit of plastic and a cable tie.

Worth doing on Star Wars but you wont have to do it on Stranger things (if you signature of machines you own is up to date).

If you got your game new off Phil Palmer he may still have capacitor kits.

Thanks, yep just SW and Stranger Things at the minute.

Node Board 9 has already been replaced with the new type (I noticed the cable tie fix 🤔), so it’s just Node Board 8 that needs the fix.

It’s still under warranty, so I will drop Phil a line.

Thanks!

Had several Several Spike2 pins here and only one Spike1 and in that time 1 failure on a GOTG pro as 2nd HUO user after 3-4 games. Unlucky I guess. £220 exchange which Phil helped me to sort.

Hello, this is my first post! I signed up because I was drawn to pinball after coming across the tmnt game. Ive been doing research, and a lot have said that you should only get into pinball if you know how to fix them. I am aware that things go, I do have arcade machines, but the thing that surprises me here is the cost vs reliability. Reading things is sort of putting me off but I did also just send a shop called pinball heaven a question about ordering one , they seem to be the go to place, but at the same time im gathering that is who Phil is, and I wonder how much of a headache all this has brought him. Im wondering if I should switch to a GNR table now given the vids about stern, but i love the tmnt gameplay and ive watched loads of it.... This thread us exactly what i was looking for, some genuine user feedback on these boards.

I dont know what to think, ive seen a lot of people saying software updates are making them more reliable, but 6k to 9k isnt the kind of money youd expect to have to pay to be on edge.

I am really on the fence now, and I had been so excited that in anticipation i bought a full size tmnt banner for the room setup for when i do get it...

Not to hijack the thread, just to say, hello and thanks for the thread. I am closely watching it!

Hello, this is my first post! I signed up because I was drawn to pinball after coming across the tmnt game. Ive been doing research, and a lot have said that you should only get into pinball if you know how to fix them. I am aware that things go, I do have arcade machines, but the thing that surprises me here is the cost vs reliability. Reading things is sort of putting me off but I did also just send a shop called pinball heaven a question about ordering one , they seem to be the go to place, but at the same time im gathering that is who Phil is, and I wonder how much of a headache all this has brought him. Im wondering if I should switch to a GNR table now given the vids about stern, but i love the tmnt gameplay and ive watched loads of it.... This thread us exactly what i was looking for, some genuine user feedback on these boards.

I dont know what to think, ive seen a lot of people saying software updates are making them more reliable, but 6k to 9k isnt the kind of money youd expect to have to pay to be on edge.

I am really on the fence now, and I had been so excited that in anticipation i bought a full size tmnt banner for the room setup for when i do get it...

Not to hijack the thread, just to say, hello and thanks for the thread. I am closely watching it!

Welcome Fresh. I know buying a first pin is daunting, it certainly was for me and that was a 1300 quid Flintstones not a 6-7 grand new in box jobby. That said, buy from Phil, get the good warranty and don't be put off Stern' games by an angry Australian man on YouTube. They make some of the absolute best games and many many people play their Spike games without any issues. Also don't think JJP games don't get issues, or even have issues straight out of the box.

Hey welcome along 👍
Don’t worry too much, modern pinball machines do have issues time to time, most are relatively minor and can be put right by home user.
Your not alone on your feelings, quite a few peeps have been excited to get into pinball then break into a cold sweat cause they think they need a pilots license to fix one 😂
JJP can have issues, Stern can have issues but you have to be unlucky for anything to be major.
Believe it or not, main concerns for pin enthusiasts when buying new is cab and playfield quality not board and mechs as these can be put right easier. If you buy new, you have a 2 year warranty.
Loads of support on here and Pinside.
Word of advice.... if you have your heart set on a theme you love, don’t change your mind, you’ll most likely regret it.
I haven’t played TMNT so cannot offer any viewpoints, maybe others can on its mechs etc.... I know Iain had some issues with a new TMNT node board, not sure if he got resolution.

I have 19 Stern games - 1 JJP. I've had more problems with the JJP than the Stern's combined.

my first pin was a 4 year old stern star trek pro. it had one issue that was fixed under a 12 mth warranty from the retailer i bought it from. since then it has had zero issues in 3.5 years.

Hey, firstly thanks for the warm welcome. Secondly thanks for the reassuring words, sure I assume that 2 year warranty is included in the price? sounds like its a must.

Honestly after seeing this threads replies I was worried but then after my post I realised like any hobby I could have issues but seeing those replies after my post of those who have a number of sterns is reassuring too.

I think stern does so well to tap into emotions with themes, im learning of the people who pick theme vs people who pick play board too, interesting how people approach it differently.

But to stay on topic, I think I conclude that a forum like this is worth being a part of, a member in, for support beyond warranty. That australian video was the one that really got me worried, and i think its sounds like quite an alarmist video more than a constructive one.

The way I see it, id rather stern were still around than not, so I will continue to enquire about getting the tmnt game from pin heaven.

Does anyone know, because i cant get it until i move house later this year, if say, come Q3 2021, they stop making them? How do stern decide to stop making a game and at what point do uk distributors stop getting them in?

Stern usually release 4 or 5 titles a year. They churn them out for a couple of months then move onto the next one.
If there’s demand they usually re release it as “vault edition” or with a different art package a couple of years later.

Stern usually release 4 or 5 titles a year. They churn them out for a couple of months then move onto the next one.
If there’s demand they usually re release it as “vault edition” or with a different art package a couple of years later.
And I suppose the parts continue to be made regardless, given threads like this around reliability? When would you anticipate the tmnt gets the end of manufacturing life? Thanks, good info!

I'd also like to chip in that I love the modern Stern games. They have their issues certainly but there are a load of steel balls being smashed around in a glass and timber cabinet.

I haven't played Turtles but I've played most of the Spike 2's and they're bloody good pieces of kit. I wouldn't hesitate on getting another and will probably do precisely that very soon.

I'd also like to chip in that I love the modern Stern games. They have their issues certainly but there are a load of steel balls being smashed around in a glass and timber cabinet.

I haven't played Turtles but I've played most of the Spike 2's and they're bloody good pieces of kit. I wouldn't hesitate on getting another and will probably do precisely that very soon.
Which one are you thinking about and where are you looking to get it from? So far I found liberty games and pinball heaven. I think liberty offer to take it upstairs which may help me out 🤣

Which one are you thinking about and where are you looking to get it from? So far I found liberty games and pinball heaven. I think liberty offer to take it upstairs which may help me out 🤣

Well Pinball Heaven is a regular on here and I can vouch that he's a good guy.

As for the game 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Probably Deadpool again but I haven't ruled out JP but I need to play Star Wars first just in case. That being said I may wait to see what Stern bring out next.

I’ve bought a few pins now from PH and Phil has helped me both inside and outside of warranty so can highly recommend him

And I suppose the parts continue to be made regardless, given threads like this around reliability? When would you anticipate the tmnt gets the end of manufacturing life? Thanks, good info!
Yes mate. The board sets and mechs are largely generic for many games. Game specific parts will be available too I’m sure.

I'll be honest TMNT is close but its no cigar. the game is super dependant on a really tough shot - the lair shot and then its suffers from the dreaded Borg bottom and even from the Lair shot making one of the most important shots of the game super high risk. You've then got a messy middle of the game which takes flow away from the game - the left and right ramp shots are superb but the rest of it just is a bit meh -

Personally speaking if I was asked to recommend a first game, this would be long long long down the list.

Recent titles that I'd recommend for first game: Stranger Things, Avengers IQ, Deadpool, Guardians of the galaxy

Back
Top Bottom