What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Led Zeppelin

What a fantastic game - I wasn’t sure about this game but figured I’d dump it if it sucked but it’s freaking brilliant. It’s going to be a huge tournament game for sure - so fast and so much flow - the LE side lights I actually rate better than GNR. If you like Steve Richie games (and I do) you will love this plus the rules Tim and Ray have out in this are superb!

The good...

IMG_7867.JPG

... the bad...

IMG_7869.JPG

...and the ugly...

IMG_7876-medium.JPG

That plastic came flying off mid-game... I can hear loose screws somewhere inside when I lift the playfield but can't see how I'd fix that plastic back on anyway where it's located :( And is that half-melted/welded power socket normal on Sterns?

Lights, music and videos/animations are all fantastic... but I don't mind admitting I am struggling with the gameplay to work out what the hell to hit when :hmm:

Definitely the best of the three - just need that side armour :) And you need your led zep sign up on the wall, or something :)

Can you send a pin of where the plastic goes? The screws should simply pass through the posts and screw in? (Of course, you need to retrieve the screws or get replacements).

That welding affair is just odd. What's also odd is that it seems to be an added shroud - mine didn't have that.

Attachments

• IMG_2122.jpg
    IMG_2122.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
So the stuff around the plug is just glue where stern add some protection it will come off no big deal.

The other part I suspect is this near the zeppelin it should be simple enough to reattach it

643ab6c27ebe03e3b09ec55ed24900ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah you're right that is just glue after all, came off quite easily.

Can't see how I'd get that plastic back on though... it's a VUK type backplate at that left eject in front and the orbit side rail to the right, any ideas how you would be able to get access to get the screws in underneath without taking that whole area apart? Am I being stoopid? Photo of the area:

IMG_7877.JPG

yeah you need to take off the top clear part then the three screws and that will give you access. Its only two screws holding that plastic in though:

Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 11.25.07.png

IMG_0862.JPG

so take the two Philips heads out careful not to damage the plastic.

Then the three Philips. There is a lot of stuff under that so hopefully its simple from there but its not easy to see. Not idea but I've tighted mine :D

Neil.

man this game is cooking!

combo combo combo then end the combo on led, Zep, rock or bs, that increases the multiplier on each then go into tour multiball the pf multiplier is the four multiplied by each other!!

Reading this thread, it seems not many are impressed. I am.

Received my LE a couple of weeks ago and I think it's great. I had the spinner issue mentioned on here - and elsewhere - but the Steve Ritchie endorsed simple bend of the supports has fixed it.

I think the gameplay is brilliant and the music is wow. It's definitely replaced my CV as my favourite machine and I didn't think that was going to happen.

I'm gagging to get a few mods but the problem is the cost of importing from the states. I'm due to go out there later in the year, so I might delay purchasing them until then. I'd really like the official out-of-stock topper as I think it has moving spotlights, but my supplier wants just over £1,000 for it. Not sure I can justify that. I have a decent subwoofer kicking around in the loft, so I might see how that sounds.

Brilliant machine.PXL_20210401_085548725.jpgPXL_20210401_083420642.jpg

Then the three Philips. There is a lot of stuff under that so hopefully its simple from there but its not easy to see. Not idea but I've tighted mine :D
Thanks, I'll take a look next time I need to take the glass off... at the moment it's just a cosmetic issue.

Received my LE a couple of weeks ago and I think it's great. I had the spinner issue mentioned on here - and elsewhere - but the Steve Ritchie endorsed simple bend of the supports has fixed it.

I think the gameplay is brilliant and the music is wow. It's definitely replaced my CV as my favourite machine and I didn't think that was going to happen.

I'm gagging to get a few mods but the problem is the cost of importing from the states. I'm due to go out there later in the year, so I might delay purchasing them until then. I'd really like the official out-of-stock topper as I think it has moving spotlights, but my supplier wants just over £1,000 for it. Not sure I can justify that. I have a decent subwoofer kicking around in the loft, so I might see how that sounds.
My spinner and EM have both been fine although I'm still getting airballs in a couple of places that I can't work out when I'm playing... definitely not the EM, it might be the slings or even the LH side targets :hmm:

I love the music and lights... the changing colours on the inserts is also nice. I'm getting the hang of the shots and what to shoot for on each song but struggling to get any half-decent scores and I still can't finish the Top Of The Charts Challenge :mad:

Not a fan of mods personally but the back-right corner is certainly suited to one... Big Ben, Marshall stack and Hermit all look good there.

Yes indeed. Rear right has a hermit with illuminated lantern written all over it. I like the Page+amp too, but I don't really want to give one band member such prominence. I've seen the blimp decorated with "Mothership" in red which looks fantastic, but so does "Led Zeppelin" and the Icarus drawing in black.

As a little trial I 3D printed an "Object" and mounted it. It needs improving, but it's OK you know. Maybe in clear and spotlit might work, or in a different colour. What do you think?

PXL_20210412_145625250.jpg

so take the two Philips heads out careful not to damage the plastic.

I had the glass off this weekend and tried to get in there without luck - the clear plastic comes off easily enough (wow it feels flimsy though!), but those 3 Phillips are only holding in the bulbs. I suspect I'd need to remove the front plastic and the entire zeppelin to get in there and I aint doing that with no guarantee it's the right way in! :sad:

I assume there is a Stern email contact, I will drop them a line to see what they say is the best way to get in there. I also had a good look around underneath and inside the playfield and can't find the screws that should have been used to fix the plastic/legs in place - I wonder if they were completely missed? Another reason I don't want to be taking it all apart when I don't even have any spare screws/washers...

Still nowhere near finishing Top Of The Charts challenge - I've reached the point of hating the final few bars of Good Times Bad Times cos it means I've failed abysmally again!

What a fantastic game - I wasn’t sure about this game but figured I’d dump it if it sucked but it’s freaking brilliant. It’s going to be a huge tournament game for sure - so fast and so much flow - the LE side lights I actually rate better than GNR. If you like Steve Richie games (and I do) you will love this plus the rules Tim and Ray have out in this are superb!
Name checked on Kaneda!!!...true Pinball Infamy.....infamy...infamy...they've all.....

Loads of Mezel stuff (not all unfortunately) arrived today, including some LZ pop bumper covers, lit standups and BIG BEN which is amazing.

Will add details later.

Yah Travis hit the head in the nail for me in that video.

No I like it - it’s a good game but a bit of a chopping wood pin and the MB gets a bit samey. For me LZ is the better game. Shame so many have written it off as it’s fantastic.

Took a trip over to Electric Circus last night, specifically to play LZ - but also R&M, GnR amongst others.

I have never been as disappointed with a new game, EVER. I couldn't find any redeeming features with it at all. Looks horrible, uninspiring shots, sounds awful (although being in an arcade surrounded by other machines means that could be the issue) and unusually for a Stern there was little to no indication as to what to shoot?

I heard a call out which I though said 'Shoot the right ramp to light Tour Multiball' (or something similar) but there was nothing lit at the right ramp indicating as such. When I did hit the right ramp it did indeed light the left scoop, but had I missed that callout nothing would have directed me to shoot there.
The 4 logos/symbols on the playfield also had no indication what they were or why they were changing colours.
Again, no indication what the Icarus target did.
Really don't see the point in the upper right flipper on the Pro, it shoots to just one shot - a shortened version of the Train Wreck from TAF - with no obvious reason to shoot there.

Walked away from it with Credits on.

Looks like AIQ gets to stay for a bit longer. It may well be that I only end up buying Elwin games in the future.

In other news. still not feeling the love for R&M.
Still loved GnR, but definitely best suited for home where you can really crank the sound up.

Took a trip over to Electric Circus last night, specifically to play LZ - but also R&M, GnR amongst others.

I have never been as disappointed with a new game, EVER. I couldn't find any redeeming features with it at all. Looks horrible, uninspiring shots, sounds awful (although being in an arcade surrounded by other machines means that could be the issue) and unusually for a Stern there was little to no indication as to what to shoot?

I heard a call out which I though said 'Shoot the right ramp to light Tour Multiball' (or something similar) but there was nothing lit at the right ramp indicating as such. When I did hit the right ramp it did indeed light the left scoop, but had I missed that callout nothing would have directed me to shoot there.
The 4 logos/symbols on the playfield also had no indication what they were or why they were changing colours.
Again, no indication what the Icarus target did.
Really don't see the point in the upper right flipper on the Pro, it shoots to just one shot - a shortened version of the Train Wreck from TAF - with no obvious reason to shoot there.

Walked away from it with Credits on.

Looks like AIQ gets to stay for a bit longer. It may well be that I only end up buying Elwin games in the future.

In other news. still not feeling the love for R&M.
Still loved GnR, but definitely best suited for home where you can really crank the sound up.
Neil is 5 minutes away from another 'EPIC TOURNAMENT GAME' post 😂

unusually for a Stern there was little to no indication as to what to shoot?
I too found it pretty confusing for a while until I understood the lighting - the shots are marked with different colour lights at different stages depending on what you need to be shooting for (eg. red for jackpots, gold for records, etc). But as you say, shouldn't this be more obvious when playing? I think so... same with the logos and colours there, and indeed the Icarus target... all pretty confusing to follow even after hundreds of games and reading the rules a few times :hmm:

The top flipper is pretty difficult as a shot, I think it's a shame there isn't a bigger single shot-reward for it at stages in the game - certainly getting the timing right for the ramp (Prem/LE) is difficult, I guess the Pro version is easier to hit the target.

Do you know what version of the code it was at? I think callouts and screen info were improved for 1.02 which might help a bit with understanding what/where to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom