What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Avengers 2020

Not that you should listen to others but watch SDTM latest YouTube stream This or That I found quite an interesting take on elwins pins in there.
true - but they are all over the place when it comes to new pins. I remember they really didn't like star wars initially and it ended up being one of their no.1 pins after they owned it. Plus they are heavily in bed with JJP.
Not that I'm making excuses - I think GNR looks great too but equally I wouldn't dismiss Avengers so quickly.

Not that you should listen to others but watch SDTM latest YouTube stream This or That I found quite an interesting take on elwins pins in there.

Yeah I saw that already Col, good stuff. They way over rate LOTR though! Oh and GB which, and let's be fair to it, is absolute garbage 😂

true - but they are all over the place when it comes to new pins. I remember they really didn't like star wars initially and it ended up being one of their no.1 pins after they owned it. Plus they are heavily in bed with JJP.
Not that I'm making excuses - I think GNR looks great too but equally I wouldn't dismiss Avengers so quickly.

Actually they are not in bed with JJP it’s the total opposite and big Stern fans.
I wasn’t pointing out how they rave on about GnR but more comparing JP to AIQ.
they have JP coming on top almost whenever it crops up

Actually they are not in bed with JJP it’s the total opposite and big Stern fans.
I wasn’t pointing out how they rave on about GnR but more comparing JP to AIQ.
they have JP coming on top almost whenever it crops up
I agree - generally I find them very balanced, but what I meant by 'in bed with JJP' was that they have had WAY more access to JJP over the years (see their recent GNR marketing video as an example) and clearly have a very accessible relationship with the JJP designers. I don't mean it in a bad way but it's clearly there. Far more than they have had (publicly at least) with Stern. At least from what I've seen of their stuff. Just my opinion.

@huggers

I'm holding back on the review until I'm a bit better mate but it's tough. I probably have 1 decent game in 5 which was the same with JP. When I have that one game it's spectacular but it's pinball on steroids without the breaks in play that JP has.

I don't think the game is as good as JP but the shots are better if that makes sense? The sense of satisfaction gained when you nail a combo is brilliant because it all happens so quickly and requires reactions. I have it set up with the bubble which is supposedly at 6.5 but it feels like 10 degrees (magnificent singers btw).

It's addictive, fast, frustrating and the animations and sound are much better than some have suggested.

So in answer to your question, "Has Elwin done it again?". I'm probably not a good enough player to honestly say. Elwin is a world champion player and his games feel like they've been designed for very good players. The 'O' shot & missile shot in JP, the shot between the pop bumpers on Iron Maiden, the loop above the spinning wheel on AIQ are shots for good players. Players of my standard will never see 50% of the game and appreciate the full genius of the design.

I'm happy if I get all of the Avengers together, pinch a crystal and get a multiball but I'll never get all of the crystals even if I cranked it up to a 5 ball game. JP2 was a victory if I got to the second padlock and achieved chaos multiball.

Crap players can have fun on it though and I'm beaming when those combos start whizzing around.

Cheers Gonzo. Interesting stuff. One thing mate. I'm a crap player as people on here who've played with me will attest. I'm at the stage now where I'm regularly making Visitors Centre on JP and opening up more and more of the game. Home advantage of only playing my machine and repetition are helping a lot I think! I'm super keen to try out Avengers to figure out if I need one or not. The dream is Stern have the Back to the Future license or Superman 78 and give it to Elwin for his next game....

Cheers Gonzo. Interesting stuff. One thing mate. I'm a crap player as people on here who've played with me will attest. I'm at the stage now where I'm regularly making Visitors Centre on JP and opening up more and more of the game. Home advantage of only playing my machine and repetition are helping a lot I think! I'm super keen to try out Avengers to figure out if I need one or not. The dream is Stern have the Back to the Future license or Superman 78 and give it to Elwin for his next game....
I'm the same with BTTF, but the eternal dilemma is would you prefer a packed JJP game or a slick Elwin stern BTTF that has less assets? We'll see I guess. Avengers is cool though. If you're in the midlands post lockdown drop by.

I'm the same with BTTF, but the eternal dilemma is would you prefer a packed JJP game or a slick Elwin stern BTTF that has less assets? We'll see I guess. Avengers is cool though. If you're in the midlands post lockdown drop by.
Thanks dude much appreciated. Yeah tough call that, loaded JJP or Elwin's ridiculously good layout. I'd go for the latter. If it's as slick as Maiden and J-Park it'd be an absolute winner for me and as we know, loaded pins don't always make great pins.

Thanks dude much appreciated. Yeah tough call that, loaded JJP or Elwin's ridiculously good layout. I'd go for the latter. If it's as slick as Maiden and J-Park it'd be an absolute winner for me and as we know, loaded pins don't always make great pins.

Obviously I've not played G&R yet but there's been a lot of criticism about the number and ease of multiball. That makes the game more attractive to me because I do love a good multiball.

The Avengers has no toys, it's all shots, ramps and wireforms and a very open playfield with a good view of those long shots.

G&R has two, guitars, drum sticks, amps, concert lights, cymbals and a partridge in a pear tree. I'm surprised they found room for the flippers.

I've no doubt AIQ will be the better shooter ...... I'm also confident I'll love the JJP. One is a Ferrari and the other a Rolls Royce.

They're chalk and cheese but these seem like good times for pinball with so much choice.

Obviously I've not played G&R yet but there's been a lot of criticism about the number and ease of multiball. That makes the game more attractive to me because I do love a good multiball.

The Avengers has no toys, it's all shots, ramps and wireforms and a very open playfield with a good view of those long shots.

G&R has two, guitars, drum sticks, amps, concert lights, cymbals and a partridge in a pear tree. I'm surprised they found room for the flippers.

I've no doubt AIQ will be the better shooter ...... I'm also confident I'll love the JJP. One is a Ferrari and the other a Rolls Royce.

They're chalk and cheese but these seem like good times for pinball with so much choice.

I'll be happy with any of them tbh mate. When I first saw GnR I was like f*ck I'm going to have to get that aren't I. I've calmed myself a little now. I've had a Metallica and an Iron Maiden so maybe can skip this rock pin? It looks mental though I must say and I still might end up getting one depending on what is announced over the coming months or unless I play AIQ and HAVE to have one. And yeah two completely different looking games. I think the Ferrari/Rolls Royce analogy works pretty well!

Anyone who’s not had a few sheets of Sterns HD glass ever come across this?

It’s almost like water/ink like swirls all over the glass, moved the pin out into the conservatory earlier for fireworks etc tonight and under all the light spotted it instantly.

I’ve tried to wipe it with a glass cloth but it doesn’t have any effect either side of the glass. Just curious if anyone else has had this?

Attachments

• 320D2C3D-97A0-4427-954F-0D080F75DBE8.jpeg
    320D2C3D-97A0-4427-954F-0D080F75DBE8.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 34094A14-72A5-468B-BD0D-E8691B5A4042.jpeg
    34094A14-72A5-468B-BD0D-E8691B5A4042.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 9484BFDE-D567-4F3D-801D-2D6D240C5C55.jpeg
    9484BFDE-D567-4F3D-801D-2D6D240C5C55.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 57
Can’t see what you are pointing at on that?

Anyway new code .93!

V0.93.0 - November 5th, 2020
============================
- Subway Mech - balls will immediately begin 'walking' through the subway when Quests are being selected
- Subway Mech - improvements to detecting when two balls are locked in the same window
- Subway VUK - will wait to release a ball if there is a Portal Lock light show underway
- Portal Lock - Portal Lock display effect will now come before Quest Selection Screen if they are stacked at the Portal shot
- Battle Royale - fixed an issue where the mode would not end on the 6th Avenger and could cause very high scores if the mode is completed
- Battle Royale - added sound effect missing from some attacks
- All Wizard Modes - fixed issue with some intros being skipped
- Soul Gem Mode - fixed issue with total screen sometimes being skipped
- Shield Bonus - score balance - base from 750K to 3M, pop value from 15K to 35K
- Shield Bonus - increase display effect now shows if it is doubled
- Space Gem - fixed Space Gem behavior to allow you to add more uses when leveling someone up, now matches what display tells you
- Space Gem - fixed the level 2 trap, if the moved gem lands on someone that is level 2, you'll at least have 1 use
- Tower Ball Saver - only used up if you are in single ball play
- Tower Ball Saver - fixed an issue where single ball Quests would be ended early when Tower Ball Saver was in use
- Super Ball Saver - fixed an issue where single ball Quests would be ended early when Super Ball Saver was in use
- Super Ball Saver - now maintains the current number of balls in play for multiball quests
- Super Ball Saver - added ball save display effect
- Bonus X - display now shows value of current Bonus X
- Combos - score balance - base from 75K to 150K, trophy bump from 15K to 5K, combo jackpot base from 1M to 3M
- Combos - adding a combo sound
- Instant Info - added Captain Marvel shot status
- Instant Info - added Shield Bonus status
- Instant Info - standardized background darkening for all Instant Info pages
- Secret Skill Shot - hooking up 'SECRET SKILLSHOTS' adjustment so it actually turns off all Secret Skill Shots
- Quest Victory Laps - fixed an issue where the ball saver for victory laps starts would not save balls
- High Scores - added Soul Gem Jackpot champion
- Display Effects - improved display effect priority issues
- Light Shows - adding many more light shows
- Speech - adding many more speech calls
- Topper - adding a few more topper light shows

- Adjustment Changes:
- added standard champion adjustments for Soul Gem Jackpot

- System - Updated to V2.61.0
- Updated to nodeboard firmware v0.65.0
- When starting a game ramp the backbox GI from "ATTRACT MODE B.BOX BRIGHTNESS" to
"GAME PLAY B.BOX BRIGHTNESS".
When ending a game ramp the backbox GI from "GAME PLAY B.BOX BRIGHTNESS" to
"ATTRACT MODE B.BOX BRIGHTNESS".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So I think I see what you mean @J85M - I think you need some chemicals -> Windowlene or the stuff I recommend Bohle glass cleaner.

So I think I see what you mean @J85M - I think you need some chemicals -> Windowlene or the stuff I recommend Bohle glass cleaner.
I’ll grab some of that and give it ago, I used a professional glass cleaner I got from a local framing business they use it to clean non reflective glass but couldn’t get the marks to budge, don’t seem to be able to touch the marks as if they are inside the glass itself. Will grab some of that stuff you recommend above and see how that goes. Cheers mate

.93 code is fantastic! Just had 2 of my best games to date and possibly the most fun I’ve had on a pin since Deadpool.

" Avenger disassemble! "

Sorry.

Nice! Almost makes it worth it!
This morning I adapted a cliffy to fit under the antman VUK where they are over tightening a rail, then had a game and the ball jammed under the pops (had heard about this but not had it happen yet), and next game there’s a big clunk and the subway falls apart.
All fixable I know, but still!!

#stern lottery

Another day playing avengers, another sh177y part of the subway breaking off.

Stern are sending out reinforced (maybe that should say better welded) subways a few over on pinside have posted saying their replacement mechs have much better welding on them.

Battle royal is a lot of fun and challenging !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am not a massive fan of Maiden or JP2. I had a go on Kirk's LE at Tilt last week and I thought the shots flowed really nice. I think it is definately the best of the 'King Keith' games.

Thought the glove looked awful.

Subway welding is awful.

Artwork is brilliant.

Can not comment on code as I am a cack player.

Seemed real fun.

I will get my coat now and leave all you 'deep code'' players to it :)

I am not a massive fan of Maiden or JP2. I had a go on Kirk's LE at Tilt last week and I thought the shots flowed really nice. I think it is definately the best of the 'King Keith' games.

Thought the glove looked awful.

Subway welding is awful.

Artwork is brilliant.

Can not comment on code as I am a cack player.

Seemed real fun.

I will get my coat now and leave all you 'deep code'' players to it :)

If it's any consolation I updated the code today and don't have a clue what's changed. 😬

Back
Top Bottom