What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starwars trilogy blinking ,not working

Body pop

Registered
Hi guys
I've got a problem with my sega starwars
When I turn it on the dotmatrix shows for a second ( the title starwars trilogy )
It then goes out and the whole Playfield just blinks on and off
Everything was ok before ,but I was working on the flippers yesterday ,just tightening them up .any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 28
Looks like some work done below the battery area on the board? Re seat the ribbon cables make sure ram and rom are seated properly. If it still don't work sell it to me!

Cheers ,il have a look at that
Yes there was a bit of work done on it before it got it ,then Luke repaired it for me a year or so ago and it hadn't missed a beat until now

No luck with re seating stuff
Light in pic is blinking ,ball launch is blinking and everything on Playfield

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 19
Thanks ,is there anything I could do myself to get past this ,or is it likely to be a board repair ?

Other than checking the 5 volts is good and fuses etc are all good. Might be worth re seating all the plugs on the cpu and driver board.

I had the same thing happening on a Stern LOTR a while back.

As @ronnie63 says, try reseating all the connectors on the cpu and driver boards. This cleared the fault on my LOTR.

Still the same after reseating a few times ,iv noticed that the clear square thing ,above left of those two big black caps in photo ,is constantly making a spring type noise ,everytime lights go on and off

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 14
Think that's the gi relay, not sure it will help but try powering it on with the ribbon cable unplugged that goes to the driver board, it might just hang? Not sure, do you have another white star Pinza?

Lol ,I had a white star Pinza for tea :)
That predictive text ,catches us all
Il try that with ribbon cable in morn
Thanks

Sounds like you have a problem on the cpu board but I'm no expert! might be worth contacting Luke or finding another pin to swap boards to narrow it down.

The adjacent chips are the reset chips. You have one on each board. They Monitor the5v and cpu activity by looking at the lamp strobes. So low 5v or logic problem can cause cyclic resets or bad reset chip, or bad ribbon cable between cpu and driver.

Thanks Ronnie and pinball mania for your help .
So best to change the ribbon cable first ? Would you have those in stock pinball mania ?

The third of the 4 red lights is staying out at the min ,18v it looks like it says on board
I read something about the diodes on flippers causing trouble ? Could I of disturbed one of those and caused this ,while working at the flippers ?

Do all the playfield lights flash on and off during the cyclic resets? 18v is the lamp supply. Have you checked the fuses for 18v?

I just checked there and It had blown the 18v fuse
Still blinking away though ,all the lamps on field etc
Occasionally it try's to go a bit further ,ie. the flippers move and the sone of the Playfield things .
But then just flashes again continually

I think your at the stage now where some more involved trouble shooting needs done, as Andy said both boards have monitoring chips checking +5v and other stats of the boards!

Il hold fire until I get the ribbon cable
.is it just opines on the board where you can put the multimeter to test the 5v ?

Thanks for the link sj ,some good reading there
So can I use a multimeter to test the voltages or do I need a logic probe

:) thought as much ,the link showing the probe made me think though
Wheres the test points then

Back
Top Bottom