What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spooky Pinball - Halloween

So a few pointers and some pictures from how I did it. I didn't take pictures as I went along so there are a few steps without them because I cant reverse where I have stuck the new panel down sadly. I have un done as much as I could and took pictures to help out.

Aside from the two bits I linked above you'll also need some double sided sticky foam pads or similar to secure the new panel to inside the metal bracket. You'll want some thickish ones or double them up as the new screen is very thin and needs padding out a little to bring it to the same distance as the old screen.

Here we go then...

Start by removing the right speaker, the threads holding it down are way too long so you'll spend a good 5 mins undoing those suckers. Move the speaker into the back box for safe keeping.

Disconnect the 12v and HDMI cable.

Next undo the four nuts that hold the screen in.

Pull out the LCD, you can leave the Perspex in place.

Now you want to do these next steps on a clean flat surface like a desk or worktop.

Disconnect the LCD screen from the LCD controller PCB. Unplug all the wires and unscrew the four screws to remove the PCB.

You can leave the control PCB in place as its identical to the one supplied with the new LCD controller.

Next undo the tiny four screws that hold the old screen inside the metal bracket. You'll find two either side. I've removed them in this picture but these are where they are.

Take out the screen and put it somewhere safe.

Take the new 30pin EDP cable and plug it into the port on the back of the new IPS panel. Be sure to put it in the right way up, writing side facing up and make sure it clicks in securely.

Next put your sticky pads/tape inside the metal bracket, enough to secure it and evenly spread out in the corners and some in the middle. Take off the backs of the sticky pads so they are ready to have the back of the new screen stuck to them!

Place the new screen in so the bottom edge of the screen is touching the bottom of the bracket and you'll want to ensure its sat perfectly centre with an even gap left and right.
IMPORTANT!!! be sure to have the IPS cable come up and out of the bottom edge so you can bend it over the back of the bracket.

I used some tape to secure the EDP cable to the back of the bracket.

Now if that is all secure, flip it over and install the new LCD controller, I have just screwed mine to one of the existing mounts. If you wanted to you could again use sticky pads or perhaps 3D print a new bracket for it.
Connect the 30 pin EDP cable into the new controller PCB (Blue tap facing up).

Now your ready to go fit it back into the machine which is really just reverse of what you did to take it out.
IMPORTANT!!! Remember to remove the IPS screen protector film that it ships with.

Place it back on top of the Perspex, and line up the fixing holes. Screw the four bolts in place. Fit the speaker. Hook up the 12v and HDMI to the new controller PCB.

Turn on and marvel at how good it looks out of the box :)

FINAL NOTE!!! My Halloween is a later run with the 3.5mm audio lead coming directly from the little PC in the back box straight down to the amplifier. Other spooky games and some of the early Halloween/Ultraman may have the audio extracted through the LCD controller board via HDMI. If unsure chuck up a picture and we can work out how best to solve it.
Thanks and that will help others, well worth doing😎

Last edited:
Just as a quick update on my screen upgrade. I have now removed the factory Perspex from under the screen. It gives off way too much reflection and in a home environment its not a problem. The IPS screen is a nice matt finish so it looks even better now :clap:

Just as a quick update on my screen upgrade. I have now removed the factory Perspex from under the screen. It gives off way too much reflection and in a home environment its not a problem. The IPS screen is a nice matt finish so it looks even better now :clap:
My Perspex screen came with bits of crap on the inside.

Last edited:
My Perspex screen came with bits of crap on the inside so can’t wait to get it off, I have the screen and the board now. Just need to get the right thickness double sided pads or whatever I can find. Stuff I have here is too thin.
Did you stick yours so it’s level with the bracket so then there’s no gap when it bolted down with no Perspex?

Its not quite, probably a few mm off being level with the bracket, looks fine though. I used some heavy duty double sided 3M tape I had laying around and ended up doubling it up to get some depth behind it.

Made a couple of Speaker Grill inserts to replace the ones in the standard edition.
I used the original design from the movie but moved the eyes a little to compensate for them being more uniform as my OCD was going nuts and tbh better placed for the speaker itself.

I’ve done these in black for a member but think they may look funky in orange lit by the speaker lights.

£15 a pair + postage just DM if interested.

IMG_1497.jpeg

The acrylic, scratch resistant screens are a huge improvement on the petg that Spooky do.

This guy was selling them separately, not sure if he is now or not.

Well spent the WE getting pin’s shuffled, tombstones and loaned out to make a spot in my main lineup and pride of place.
Somebody now waiting patiently 😉

View attachment 238657
I remember a wise Col telling me when I bought my first pin off you bm66 was the worst pin you owned 😅 Would you say it is the code that has improved since you bought it when it was released? The LE i had is one of my faves to date

I remember a wise Col telling me when I bought my first pin off you bm66 was the worst pin you owned 😅 Would you say it is the code that has improved since you bought it when it was released? The LE i had is one of my faves to date
At the time I paid a record 10k for my BM66 LE and immediately had buyers regret, Gabe didn’t like it and we both found it very clunky.
Problem is I didn’t give it a chance and didn’t get the rules so quickly moved it on losing 1k in the process.
Roll on a few years and the chance of a CW edt turned up at a good price so I gave it another try.
It was chalk and cheese and not clunky in the slightest and a local Pinfo member and friend @Sutol showed me the ropes to help get the rules down.
Even though Ty also owned a BM66 in LE flavour he finds mine super buttery and feels like a different game to his in many respects all for the better.
So hands up yes I was wrong and I’ve realised since just how much of a genius Lyman really was as you can tell with me owning MET another stellar game made all the better by code.
I’ve also discounted games I’ve owned in the past like BSD and BK2k which I now own and really enjoy for there simplicity.

At the time I paid a record 10k for my BM66 LE and immediately had buyers regret, Gabe didn’t like it and we both found it very clunky.
Problem is I didn’t give it a chance and didn’t get the rules so quickly moved it on losing 1k in the process.
Roll on a few years and the chance of a CW edt turned up at a good price so I gave it another try.
It was chalk and cheese and not clunky in the slightest and a local Pinfo member and friend @Sutol showed me the ropes to help get the rules down.
Even though Ty also owned a BM66 in LE flavour he finds mine super buttery and feels like a different game to his in many respects all for the better.
So hands up yes I was wrong and I’ve realised since just how much of a genius Lyman really was as you can tell with me owning MET another stellar game made all the better by code.
I’ve also discounted games I’ve owned in the past like BSD and BK2k which I now own and really enjoy for there simplicity.
Glad you’ve found fun in such a great game bud. Had some great laughs playing through it. Rule set is fantastic. Like them all once the honeymoon period has passed it loses its edge but just seems to have that extra something that most others don’t. I never managed the gas attack multiball but john who I bought it off was a serious player and I managed to beat his high score so must have done ok, he did say the code improved massively over the years

Back
Top Bottom