What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spider help please…

As advised I’m doing things methodically now, is it all linked or an issue with each mech?
Doc Oc started doing it more, it now does it very rarely since I changed the ‘down’ switch. New Opto boards on their way so I’ll see if I can completely cure Doc Oc then move on to the Sandbank. (Sandman almost never does it)

As advised I’m doing things methodically now, is it all linked or an issue with each mech?
Doc Oc started doing it more, it now does it very rarely since I changed the ‘down’ switch. New Opto boards on their way so I’ll see if I can completely cure Doc Oc then move on to the Sandbank. (Sandman almost never does it)
You tried different code revision? It could be software related.

You tried different code revision? It could be software related.
It’s on the latest code (2.61). Some videos I’ve seen where it happens are pretty old so possibly on an older Code. I’ll stay on the latest though.

It’s on the latest code (2.61). Some videos I’ve seen where it happens are pretty old so possibly on an older Code. I’ll stay on the latest though.
Hmm its just a theory but I'm wondering if older code revisions don't have the bug.

Have you reached out to the owners club on pinside?

Hmm its just a theory but I'm wondering if older code revisions don't have the bug.

Have you reached out to the owners club on pinside?
Yep, someone on Pinside posted the exact same issue, no response yet though.

Update:
New Optos, 2 new Opto boards - still does exactly the same thing.
2 more switches to swap out when they arrive and that’s it?!?
SpiderMan for sale soon I reckon as my OCD can’t deal with this. Literally 20 mins with no issues, think I’ve cracked it then out the blue it starts again - ah it must be heat build up or certain switch hits that causes it! - Turn it on today, does it straight away then behaves for a while?!? 🤬🤬🤬🤬

• Sad
Reactions: Jib
Are the motors that are used similar to those on earlier games like Pin-Bot or Black Knight 2000?. i.e. small dc ac motors with a gear arrangement. In those cases, as they aged they'd occasionally run backwards, despite being meant not to. Leading to timing errors, or up/down switches damaged. The latter example gave itself away by wiping the actuator arm off a microswitch, after which it was unable to calibrate at all.

Last edited:
Are the motors that are used similar to those on earlier games like Pin-Bot or Black Knight 2000?. i.e. dc motors with a gear arrangement. In those cases, as they aged they'd occasionally run backwards, despite being meant not to. Leading to timing errors, or up/down switches damaged. The latter example gave itself away by wiping the actuator arm off a microswitch, after which it was unable to calibrate at all.
All three mechs each have one of these;

EE94DE30-450A-42FC-823C-FAB900BAB443.jpeg

I’ve had glass off & playfield up slightly to see how the relays were behaving and have checked that the motor always goes one way.
I’ve witnessed the motor trigger the down switch but continue on and only stop after an extra rotation, 2nd time it hits the down switch it stops (occasionally takes 3 attempts?!!)

I meant ac, rather than dc, but that is the type I had in mind. Sometimes they'd try to move in reverse, then something inside would catch, and they'd move the right way.

Last couple of switches changed just in case, same issue….. but between feedback from people and YouTube videos I have now found 7 SM pins that act the same way vs 0 SM pins that don’t! I’m putting it down to just ‘one of those things’…. for now 😉

Good thing is through all my obsessive fault finding frustrations I haven’t fallen out of love with the game. I can see why it’s got such a good reputation and so far without a doubt it’s the game with the most flow I’ve ever played.
When you’re making quick decisions on what shot will be most beneficial to make next, and you make that shot - you then repeat that process for the next few shots, you really get into a groove and start building some great combos. Helps that I like the theme but along with the shots, toys, call outs and light show - I love it 👍

(I hate spiders though)

Good thing is through all my obsessive fault finding frustrations I haven’t fallen out of love with the game. I can see why it’s got such a good reputation and so far without a doubt it’s the game with the most flow I’ve ever played.
When you’re making quick decisions on what shot will be most beneficial to make next, and you make that shot - you then repeat that process for the next few shots, you really get into a groove and start building some great combos. Helps that I like the theme but along with the shots, toys, call outs and light show - I love it 👍

(I hate spiders though)

Loading a tripler on the right ramp before a Battle Royale makes me grin ear-to-ear.

Back
Top Bottom