What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speaker Lights 2.0 Re-Visited for TWD, GB, GOT ect ect any interest in a kit version?

Colywobbles

Site Supporter
Alias
Billy Big B*llocks
Made these today for my GB and well happy with outcome. A nice simple design of my own that just snaps together looking really neat & tidy when in place.

Best part is they will accept uprated speakers with the sticky out tweeters and bolt directly to the speaker panel through the use of hex bolt extenders keeping the speakers firmly in place
Although I have not put the inserts back in my GB they will easily accept them should I or anyone for that wish to go that way.

I was thinking of Making a simple kit which includes the following:

A pair of Speaker Light housings
8 hex bolt extenders
LED strip in Red, White or Blue to accommodate

what does it require
Some simple soldering skills along with a little wire and a 12v feed from your pin Similar to how a pin2dmd or ColourDMD uses

Please bear in mind these are not made from small waste offcuts but a full sheet of material @ around £3 and the hex extenders cost me almost £4 due to the Bloody stupid USA thread sizes I guess!

So that aside How does £15 + postage or without postage sound.
I’m not out to make a lot here it just keeps my wheels turning over and I quite like the whole process and seeing the fruits of my labours TBH

Thanks for looking Col

Glueless just Snap together and stick the LED strip in place
9AC6B58C-379F-4055-A52A-2D11B6EE0AB3.jpeg

Fasten with extenders
48C5C0C7-6F78-4AFA-923E-7022E1701770.jpeg

Choose your flavour
C07BDA99-1C19-4A56-8BD9-565C2C317D1C.jpeg

Original Stern $1 versions
C1C9546D-1130-4FFE-9F45-D58D2843E791.jpeg

Or a tasty little pair of something like these
F558E033-C6E4-4475-A1BF-16BEB2D88438.jpeg

TaaaDaaaaa........
500E9F90-3DAA-4849-919F-8DA4A44490E7.jpeg

@Colywobbles - it is also better if a speaker is put onto a piece of plastic. It replaces the bass response.

Also I have been doing some speaker lights using addressable LEDs which give you different patters (ie every LED can be turned on and off and whatever colour you want).

The controllers start cheap like these:
or:

You just have to make sure the LEDs you use have a chip per LED as some of them control three LEDs together.

These are ideal:

These ones do seem to take a bit more power - at full brightness on white its about 750mA using these to do speaker lights. I lower the brightness to a sensible level and it takes approx 400-500mA which most games you can get away with! Providing you dont already have a pin2dmd or a colordmd running.

I’ve messed around with flashing, chasing RGB style LEDs in speaker lights but in all honesty I prefer a fixed colour.
This is just my personal opinion as I think it’s just a bit distracting and after the gimmick wears off they usually end up on a fixed colour anyway.
Thanks for the links though they appreciated

I'd be interested in getting these for my LOTR. Is it possible to get the LEDs in more of a gold/orange hue? Also would the ring inserts (e.g. these) fit right in?

I'd like kits for my TWD and AC/DC Vault please. Both metal panels with round holes and both SAM systems.

I'm guessing you can take 12v by putting a splitter on the connector by the power supply?
1594555932976.png

Bargain, shame I just fitted the set from speakerlights or I would have been all over these, just set to red on my TWD.
Sent the wrong hardware and had to order a load of hex extenders, what a PITA that was.

Col, could you do me a set for my Stern Kiss and also can you supply me
the speakers like in the above picture.
Cheers buddy.

I'd be interested in getting these for my LOTR. Is it possible to get the LEDs in more of a gold/orange hue? Also would the ring inserts (e.g. these) fit right in?
I can’t tell you if the ring inserts fit as I never made them but if they fit in the usual bolts of the speaker panel then yes they will.

bear in mind these are for the round metal type like GB, TWD, Kiss ect.
I have made them for the earlier square type like IM, SM, IJ, FG ect. Aswell.

Hope this helps Col

I can’t tell you if the ring inserts fit as I never made them but if they fit in the usual bolts of the speaker panel then yes they will.

bear in mind these are for the round metal type like GB, TWD, Kiss ect.
I have made them for the earlier square type like IM, SM, IJ, FG ect. Aswell.

Hope this helps Col

Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like this run isn't compatible with my machine then.

Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like this run isn't compatible with my machine then.
You will need my previous design but bear with me as I’m making a small amendment to them after I get this glass collection behind me as I’m a bit busy gearing up for it ATM

Bargain, shame I just fitted the set from speakerlights or I would have been all over these, just set to red on my TWD.
Sent the wrong hardware and had to order a load of hex extenders, what a PITA that was.

NIce of you to do a little trash talking about my mistake. Though, you didn't mention that I was going to send you the correct hardware at no additional cost to you, but instead I reimbursed you for the needed hardware that you found yourself.

Not had time to look at will/ball designs yet but will eventually get round to it

Good luck with your work on Twilight Zone....it won't be as easy as just copying what others have already figured out for you. The Bally / Willaims games having one speaker hole larger than the other makes it quite a challenge. If you can get past that hurdle, I have no doubt you could make a small fortune selling them......until folks started copying your work...then you can see what that feels like.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com - Home of the original Pinball Speaker Light Kit)

NIce of you to do a little trash talking about my mistake. Though, you didn't mention that I was going to send you the correct hardware at no additional cost to you, but instead I reimbursed you for the needed hardware that you found yourself.

Good luck with your work on Twilight Zone....it won't be as easy as just copying what others have already figured out for you. The Bally / Willaims games having one speaker hole larger than the other makes it quite a challenge. If you can get past that hurdle, I have no doubt you could make a small fortune selling them......until folks started copying your work...then you can see what that feels like.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com - Home of the original Pinball Speaker Light Kit)
Whoooah dude
WT actual F
I have never copied anyone, you included! Unless you mean you are the only one to put lights underneath the grills? I also don’t do Spike 2 yet But if I do it will be my own design and affordable.

FYI This is my speakerlight designed by myself, moi and I do a kit for £15 which includes the LED colour of choice but also takes RGB whether it’s flashing, strobing or chasing however I will say that Part is Not my design as it’s just a cheap Chinese kit unless of course you designed the LEDs too in which case good luck whinging about those to whoever doesn’t deserve it either.

I make these for fellow pinheads on a budget and it only makes Me a very small profit considering my outlay and materials.

If you can design and supply a kit any cheaper for the community feel free to do so and you are welcome to copy MY design as I have no patents on them or actually care if they are copied TBH

Do you know me? or have actually met me? I am not out to upset anyone or rock any boats so Please chill dude I’m not hitting your market base or intentionally trying too do so.

31227462-BE22-41F3-AE47-CCC0F7350678.jpeg42C391EF-0BF8-40F4-8C1D-542ACAE93FBC.jpeg2B126778-D2EE-43FF-A38E-508170885180.jpeg6BA222DB-F6B3-4722-92F9-7A94668F565F.jpeg0286B811-B384-4BA9-9A96-9AB8EFCA8060.jpeg

NIce of you to do a little trash talking about my mistake. Though, you didn't mention that I was going to send you the correct hardware at no additional cost to you, but instead I reimbursed you for the needed hardware that you found yourself.Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com - Home of the original Pinball Speaker Light Kit)

Such a shame you have taken that the wrong way. You sent me the postage cost back instead of the hardware but I paid over double that to get the hardware from Mouser. So was about £20 out of pocket but have some spare hex bits, but I’m not complaining.

I wasn't completely happy with the product but I didn’t trash talk that either🤷‍♂️

Such a shame you have taken that the wrong way. You sent me the postage cost back instead of the hardware but I paid over double that to get the hardware from Mouser. So was about £20 out of pocket but have some spare hex bits, but I’m not complaining.

I wasn't completely happy with the product but I didn’t trash talk that either🤷‍♂️

You let me know about my mistake with sending you the wrong light kit and took it upon yourself to go out and get the replacement hardware yourself. It sounds like you overpaid. You then said everything was fine and I reimbursed you for what the cost would have been for the replacement hardware and to get it shipped to you. Why would I have paid you more than what the hardware and shipping would have cost me to get them to you? You explained that you were wanting extra hardware anyway and ordered that along with the Speaker Light Kit hardware that you were needing. I thought everything was fine...then I saw your comments here. It just struck me as strange that you had all of the criticisms there, but no mention of how I attempted to correct the issue and how I compensated you for the needed hardware you did buy on your own.

Nice little jab you put in there at the end about not being completely happy with my product.

Sorry you did not like it and the purchase did not work out to your approval.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

@DugFreez - it may be a british thing, perhaps we have it wrong, or perhaps I have it wrong. When a customer complains and the manufacturer bites back in this way, it doesn't come off well. You can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time right.

Not having a dig and as I say, I may have it way off the mark and that is just my opinion.

I love the work you do, I also love what the OP is doing too, the cost to import these products is pretty high, so having the UK options works well for me personally, although I don't have a set as of today.

@DugFreez - it may be a british thing, perhaps we have it wrong, or perhaps I have it wrong. When a customer complains and the manufacturer bites back in this way, it doesn't come off well. You can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time right.

Not having a dig and as I say, I may have it way off the mark and that is just my opinion.

I love the work you do, I also love what the OP is doing too, the cost to import these products is pretty high, so having the UK options works well for me personally, although I don't have a set as of today.
Well said James, venting frustration on threads is counter productive.
Even I was a little sharp off the mark to react and have now sent Doug a pm to address the situation.

Well said James, venting frustration on threads is counter productive.
Even I was a little sharp off the mark to react and have now sent Doug a pm to address the situation.

Well he did accuse you of plagiarism col so you had every right to defend yourself. Full creds for taking the high road though.

Back
Top Bottom