What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some sort of Stern anouncement

Interestingly though, this isn't on the Spike platform apparently. So it does beg the question ... whats to stop people updating the ROM (and playfield if they really wanted to)

I'm going to guess there must be some hardware/ROM protection, but interesting times ahead I think

So what will this do to the price of the original? I was thinking of getting an original one in the near future and don't know if now is a good time or not to be getting one? Will this new one increase interest in the original, or will it push the price down?

Pricing is mental too.

£6595 when GOT is £4995
Crazy price, I'd like to know how they justify it, yes it has a few improvements over the original but still, a lot less work than developing a whole new machine that would sell for 5k. The only hint that its more than a pro is the nice side armour.

So what will this do to the price of the original? I was thinking of getting an original one in the near future and don't know if now is a good time or not to be getting one? Will this new one increase interest in the original, or will it push the price down?

My guess on this one is that it might cause a small price increase on the original (back up to 3k?) but then cause it to drop more. Maybe it will depend on how many of the VE they make.

I wonder how many machines they need to sell to make this viable? Perhaps it's only a couple of hundred as nearly all the development costs are already sunk in the original run.

I still think we'll see a LOTR VE come out.

Don't let this put you off - the original is still a really great game, so good in fact that they used it as the template to build this version eight years later! My original seems to be built like a premium and similar games could be yours for maybe £3k or less.

I'm quite underwhelmed by the VE...

Crazy price, I'd like to know how they justify it, yes it has a few improvements over the original but still, a lot less work than developing a whole new machine that would sell for 5k. The only hint that its more than a pro is the nice side armour.
Even the artwork swap looks formulaic - remove film spiderman face, replace with comic face in same place, change old poor quality slings with new poorly drawn slings. Shame Spidey's not so prominent on the backglass too.

Agreed! i think it looks awesome, but im not ready to spend £6.5k on a single pin any time soon

I think it looks great!
not that i'll ever own one anyway
don't get me wrong - i think it looks good too - definitely an improvement on the original's artistic flaws, just not the 'big change' i was expecting, thus i'm underwhelmed.

Is it worth selling a used £3k original to buy a new £6.5k VE? If money wasn't an object then yes it probably is. Otherwise i don't think there's enough of a reason.

how would you feel now as a black Spiderman owner?
I'm white but I own a SM and the first thing I did was to zoom in on the playfield to see if they added an insert for shot multipliers (as seen on BTDK, Avatar, TRS, probably others) as that's the only thing I'd change about the original. They didn't so I don't see any improvement, just a rebrand to sell more product.

I expect it will sell well as its a great game, one of Stern's best. I agree that the price is high and that it looks nice and am not surprised, as they recently doubled their factory floor space so will need to start selling more to ride the wave of increased public interest in pinball.

I'm most intrigued by what Paul @Wizcat pointed out about it not being on the new software platform 'Spike'. Not because I understand about ROMs and all that, but because ..... well, why not? Is Spike no good then? They used it for WWE and IMVE and GOT and MMR, so why go backward?

Have to admit I was hoping it would be a totally new machine. I've never really been in to superheroes, however I do think this looks pretty cool. No doubt 20 years from now the original Marvel comics will still be considered classic, and a dozen more films will have been released re-telling the same stories! Probably the art direction they should of gone with in the first place.

As for the pricing: I guess its probably because the original come from an era when every pin was a premium, so it probably still has more going on then a modern stripped down pro.

I'm most intrigued by what Paul @Wizcat pointed out about it not being on the new software platform 'Spike'. Not because I understand about ROMs and all that, but because ..... well, why not? Is Spike no good then? They used it for WWE and IMVE and GOT and MMR, so why go backward?

I'm guessing changing to spike would mean changing the wiring harness, and very probably the game software too, certainly a deep redesign of a game that has already been proven in the market place.

I think they've done a good job. It seems to me they've produced a Premium model and priced it thus. Whether the improvements really add up to making it a Premium instead of a Pro is a different discussion.

It's to keep development costs down, I suspect changing the platform would involve major software changes as I'd expect spike to be utilising a different operating system and hardware controls. It's easier to add to what there already is (a code update) than transfer it all over to new code for the new Spike system.

Huh @JWG9999 beat me to it... :rolleyes:

All good points, but for me, one of the greatest games made so all I can say is.....
I Want one
I want one
I want one

My point was more along the lines of.. any existing SM owner can potentially just download this ROM update and get the new sounds/graphics at no extra cost? Or I wonder if they've put something in the hardware to prevent that...

original SM has been good value for some time. I paid 2k for mine and very happy. I quite like the translate on the new one so might get one to swap it in to my original

also as said please can we have a Tron VE as unlike SM the originals for TRON are sparse

My point was more along the lines of.. any existing SM owner can potentially just download this ROM update and get the new sounds/graphics at no extra cost? Or I wonder if they've put something in the hardware to prevent that...
Would something like removing the Green Goblin coil prevent cross ROM swapping?

Would something like removing the Green Goblin coil prevent cross ROM swapping?

I wouldn't think so. I was able to use the Family Guy code in my Shrek when I had it, even though the coil to operate the Meg figure is missing on Shrek.

More likely Stern will do something else to prevent the new code being used on older Spideys.

I wouldn't think so. I was able to use the Family Guy code in my Shrek when I had it, even though the coil to operate the Meg figure is missing on Shrek.

More likely Stern will do something else to prevent the new code being used on older Spideys.

Would this actually make a difference? Production Earthshakers still have the code to raise/lower the building in but the entire mech etc is missing so I assume when the software tells the game to raise/lower the building it still happens, but physically nothing goes on because the part is missing.

Would it not be the same? You would retrofit new roms into an old spidey and the game would work, I just imagine the Goblin would no longer wobble about.

I hope the new code does work in old Spideys, but I'd be surprised if Stern allow it.

I dont see why they wouldn't let it be used (if the infrastructure could suppport it)

I doubt there would be a load of spiderman owners that would buy a new one (while keeping the old one)

I hope you're right.

But I think that some SM owners will buy a new one and sell the old one, I considered it but I was expecting Pro price, not Premium.

New on Stern's Facebook page: Vault Edition comes factory fitted with a shaker motor. They missed that out on their press release.

Back
Top Bottom