What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some sort of Stern anouncement

Don't think Stern would really care if old Spidey owner installed the new software. It's no loss to them, if anything it's good PR (and God knows they need that with the reputation about code). Shrek owners can download FG etc, which was more of a change.

i would suspect that it wont work and they will be using the cpu that they put in the premium game with the duel ram in
as for the new premises they got more space at less cost thats one of the reasons they moved

Oh man, the callouts sound like utter crap now, no way would I 'update' an original with this!

TBH I do like the artwork. It's timeless now. I'd still rather have a Tron VE, MM remake or a Woz. Would need to play Tron or Woz before I parted with cash though..

Oh man, the callouts sound like utter crap now

Yes, it's a shame. I'm a real fan of Stern but their callouts do seem to be getting brash. At least they sound brash to my Brit ears, I assume the callouts sound good to American ears or Stern would change them - the company puts enough effort into everything else.

But look to the positive: the SMVE callouts make TWD callouts sound excellent.

Last edited:
I would have liked if they made Ghostbusters pin instead, we already have enough Spider-Man pinballs.

Wonder what Hitler thinks :)

I'm pretty sure pinball is the only place the Hilter reacts meme is still alive and kicking. Get's me every time though :thumbs:

"I could go to Heighway and have a blank cabinet with nothing on it" was probably a bit uncalled for though.
www.reactiongifs.us_wp_content_uploads_2013_06_boo_this_man_half_baked.gif

I like it, the overall looks are pretty good, the sounds could be much better nowhere near as good as the original.
The biggest let down is the price and for that reason I'm out. If it would have been priced as per Iron Man VE then it might have had a chance.
So I'm keeping a hold of my original Spidey.

I actually really like the more comic book look of this one, but the price is insane (which is becoming the norm with Stern) They will keep putting their prices up and people will keep buying them.

I'm really hoping that Heighway pinball start to disrupt the pinball market in the next couple of years as you get alot more for your money on Heighways tables.

As others have said, is this not a wierd one to do a VE? I would have said Spiderman would be the easiest Stern game to get hold of as they were super popular back in the day and sold in great numbers. I remember being in the US in 2008 and every bar / arcade / shopping center / petrol station had one

Finally, Spiderman is SAM 1, the VE is surely going to be SAM 2 (as they don't have the USB controller IC's anymore to make SAM 1 boards anymore) so I think that is going to hinder our ability to run the new ROM code in our older machines. SAM 2 has a larger address space, so it's likely the SAM 2 version won't fit in a SAM 1 if they add anymore video/audio in

So do you think you would be able put the old code in the new machine? I like the look of the new one, but prefer the old callouts (not liking the price though).

I like the art work and toys update but the price is a killer so as Duncan would say ,I`m out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i`ll keep mine instead

If they were going for a re-theme and a new feel they should have changed all of the sounds/music, watching the video all illusions that its a new machine are lost as soon as the music starts.

The price is obscene for what it is.
It should have had a colour screen too. The cabinet looks nice but the playfield is too similar to the original.

Gary Stern must be off his tits with regards to the pricing.

The price is obscene for what it is.
It should have had a colour screen too. The cabinet looks nice but the playfield is too similar to the original.

Gary Stern must be off his tits with regards to the pricing.

The problem is, no matter what Stern charge, no matter how many features he removes from the pins each year (like switching to plastic aprons on £7K LE games!) people will keep on paying it, and every year he will see what more he can get away with

Just wait until Stern start using LCD's (coming soon apparently), another excuse for another price rise!

This isn't going to sell well. Stern really have priced at a point where even nutty pinheads who can rationalize all sorts of deals, aren't going to pony up for this in any numbers.

Not sure Stern did the right thing moving to bigger premises if the consumer has to pay for increased overheads.

Stern would have been better off making this another limited run of say 250 to 500 "LE's" with numbered plaque etc. People might have been more up for paying the crazy price then!

The problem is, no matter what Stern charge, no matter how many features he removes from the pins each year (like switching to plastic aprons on £7K LE games!) people will keep on paying it, and every year he will see what more he can get away with
I agree, up to the point where somebody can come along and make games without all the tacky sh1t attached for a reasonable cost. Imagine a game with Fathom's layout and modern coding. No expensive gimmicks or ramps, just sh1t hot rules for a reasonable cost.
Let's hope Heighway Pinball can manage it because if they did, they would be laughing.

Back
Top Bottom