What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robocop / Data East; Help please

Is it possible for me to ascertain if the problem is the PSU by using the dmm test between CN1(2) to CN3(6) or is that too broad ?

Put the boards back in defeat and somehow is working again. I’ve tested bumpers and slingshots over and over and nothing is blowing, melting or burning smells. I’m sure it won’t last

Pinball grrrrrr

He's playing up again 😏 after giving him pinstadiums and all new comet flashers yesterday.

On startup after hearing "Robocop" random sounds are playing, sometimes it's "R ... R ... R... R..." non-stop and the display's flash the credits other times it's the ED209 music playing on a loop.
I've resat all EPROMS on MPU & Soundboard , swapped out the NVRAM, removed ribbon cables, checked all fuses and resat all connectors in the whole game.
Nothing has worked. I ordered Xpin PSU and PPB from @David retro last night so I'll at least be able to rule those boards out when they arrive next week.

Any data east owners experienced this ?

Thanks

The pinstadium has a separate laptop style power supply. The LED flashers would be drawing less than the original incandescent wouldn't they @myPinballs ?

Well it sounds like you have a power issue, specifically a current draw problem, so if these mods aren't drawing current from the original psu board then check your connectors and wiring. an xpin board isn't likely to be any better than the original, probably abit worse in my experience

Ok, I'll have a look at the manual and see where I can measure the current

Ok, I'll have a look at the manual and see where I can measure the current

Start by disconnecting the pinstadium thing and see if the fault goes or stays. The sound board cpu is unhappy about something and sounds like its resetting/crashing

Start by disconnecting the pinstadium thing and see if the fault goes or stays. The sound board cpu is unhappy about something and sounds like its resetting/crashing

Unplugged it, same noise on startup

Ordered new ribbon cables, worth trying this after reading everything on Pinside.

Oddly if I cycle through the Game Adjustment menu, the random sounds stop when I enter AD17 Expand Adjustments Menu to ON. Once I exit the expanded adjustments menu the sounds start again.

New ribbon cables appears to have stopped the ED209 music playing (temporarily most likely)
Noticed one of the speakers wasn't connected properly after all my faffing in the backbox, got it connected back up and the other sound "R ... R ... R ...R"
started again. Which is almost certainly the game or soundboard rebooting over and over.
I reduced the volume with the long stem pot under the playfield and it stopped, game has been normal since.

So there is/was 2 issues, 1 was possibly a knackered ribbon cable the other I guess could be power/amplifier/cap will keep my eye on it :rolleyes:

Check power connectors and headers on cpu board and sound board, plus the condition of the ribbon header pins on both boards to. Any corrosion or loose connectors needs replacing

Check power connectors and headers on cpu board and sound board, plus the condition of the ribbon header pins on both boards to. Any corrosion or loose connectors needs replacing
About to do that now Jim cheers mate, thank you

All the intermittent faults you're experiencing is making me think battery corrosion issues... any chance of posting some close up photos of the on board battery area...?

All connectors checked after I put in the Xpin PSU and PPB, no issues that my eyes can pick out.

All the intermittent faults you're experiencing is making me think battery corrosion issues... any chance of posting some close up photos of the on board battery area...?

They mentioned this on Pinside, however it has NVRAM and has done for a while from when Pete had it. Jim had the MPU to repair last summer and would have spotted anything ropey no doubt.

Played a game, seemed all fine once everything was plugged in then realised the laser kick wasn't working.
Another job for tomorrow, I'll check the transistor and do the other coil checks I'm now used to on this.

He giveth, and then he taketh away

Couldn't wait until tomorrow so had a quick look, the Xpin PPB has 3 fuses that aren't on the original F7 / F8 / F9
F9 had blown.
The board states F9 4 amp, whereas the sticker on the packaging states F9 5 amp. I tried a 5 amp and that blew too,
presumably this F9 has something to do with the 50v to the laser kick ?

https://xpinpinball.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Install_XP-DEPPB.pdf

(*If your game does not call out an F7, load a 3A Slow Blow fuse. For F8 and F9, load 5A Slow Blow fuses. Early games did not have F7, F8 and F9 loads but were using copper traces on the board.)

Something to do with this maybe 😏
https://xpinpinball.net/wp-content/...-and-Reliability-of-Pinball-Driver-Boards.pdf

Last edited:
Check the wiring for the laser kick hasn’t been damaged under playfield and is shorting out .

Ruled out and MPU or shorting issue, plugged original PPB in and laser kick works.

I'll take some readings from the bridge rectifiers I suspect something from there is what the xpin doesn't agree with ??? Maybe

With the xpin plugged back in (no fuse in F9)

BR1 + violet 18.9 vdc
Blue white 14.9 vac
BR1 - black GND 0.0
Blue white 14.5 vac

BR2 + orange 43.1 vdc
White Red 34.9 vac
BR2 - black GND 0.0
White Red 32.4 vac

IMG_20230209_153216~2.jpg

Everything is higher, anything worryingly so ?
Thanks

If I unplug either J7 or J8 with the other still connected the PPB the fuse does not blow, when both J7 & J8 are connected to the board the fuse immediately blows.

unnamed.png

The coil is also correct 23-800

The coil (laser kick) works perfectly fine with the original PPB back in, I assumed that ruled out any shorting or MPU (trans) issues

Original PPB is back in and @David retro will be repairing the Xpin.
Today whilst cleaning the game I inadvertently discovered the area which was causing one of the resetting sound faults (video below). I've now checked everything rigourously around the coin door and apron that may have been in close proximity to create a short.

View attachment VOD_20230215_163422.mp4

Back
Top Bottom