What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Lyman

Such a huge loss, very sad news.
A huge part of pinball has been lost, may his protégés carry on his amazing work and contribution to pinball.
Sorely missed.
Rip lymans

FB_IMG_1642786811154.jpg

Had the pleasure of playing a few games with him and a chat over a few beers in Belgium.
He was a great guy who introduced the risk/reward thinking with his rules and coding. He could turn an average playfield in to a masterpiece with his vision.

RIP

Such a shame. We were literally talking about him this morning when discussing the nuances of the Batman code.

Ridiculously young by today's standards.

Bowen posted this:
If you have access to a Monster Bash...
- flip both flippers
- left flipper 11 times, then right
- left flipper 5 times, then right
- left flipper 6 times, then right
It'll cost you a credit, but it's worth it.
Lyman will say "Totally!" and the next scoop shot will start a long round where he talks to you the rest of the ball.
Master player, master programmer, even better man. RIP Lyman and much love to all his family.
May we all celebrate his life and all he's left for us to enjoy.

Bowen posted this:
- flip both flippers
Lyman will say "Totally!" and the next scoop shot will start a long round where he talks to you the rest of the ball.
Master player, master programmer, even better man. RIP Lyman and much love to all his family.
Lyman's Lament 🙌

What a legend

So sad, my relationship with Lyman goes back to the early '90s . IIRC I remember a convrsation at The Pinball Show, at the Safari Hotel in Phoenix (1991) when Lyman confided he was fed up coming 2nd at so many major tournaments, if he did not win a tournamnent very soon he would leave pinball . Soon after, he moved from New York where he had given up his job coding missile guidancce systems, for the US military, and moved to illinois devising pinball rules and writing pinball code. Yes, he is to be admired for his coding but above that it was his genius for game rules that should be recognised.

I have fond memories of conversations about coffee, of which he was an officionado, and personal investments when we got together in Chicago.

I can't believe I am writing about him in the past tense.

A legendary Pinball Industry Professional and athe consumate player.

My heart goes out to Penni and all those whose lives will be diminished by his passing.

So sad, my relationship with Lyman goes back to the early '90s . IIRC I remember a convrsation at The Pinball Show, at the Safari Hotel in Phoenix (1991) when Lyman confided he was fed up coming 2nd at so many major tournaments, if he did not win a tournamnent very soon he would leave pinball . Soon after, he moved from New York where he had given up his job coding missile guidancce systems, for the US military, and moved to illinois devising pinball rules and writing pinball code. Yes, he is to be admired for his coding but above that it was his genius for game rules that should be recognised.

I have fond memories of conversations about coffee, of which he was an officionado, and personal investments when we got together in Chicago.

My heart goes out to Penni and all those whose lives will be diminished by his passing.
Wow fantastic insight! To a great man that will be sorely missed, a true genius, my heart goes out to everyone and especially his family at this sad time, may he rest in peace and his life be celebrated

Bowen posted this:
- flip both flippers

thanks for sharing Gary.

Really sad news, and by the sounds of it, completely out of the blue.

Neil mentioned that he was 55. Looking at the game history that Poibug posted, that means he was coding his first game at 26. He worked on 5 more over the next 2 years, before doing Attack from Mars, at 28.

What an unbelievable, incredible talent.

So sad to hear about this - even before I properly got in to the hobby, I had seen a documentary here and there and Lyman stuck out to me as a legend and an intriguing character - his dedication and perfectionism came across instantly. A stone cold killer at the flippers and a hero to many!

Great to read about people's personal interaction with the man and to lean more about him. Condolences to his family and anyone who knew him; he will be sorely missed, but his coding talent will be enjoyed my many for years and years.
Have been really enjoying MET this week and will raise glass in Lyman's honour before I next play.

still can't believe this, had a great chat with George and Lyman about Batman '66 and the recording of Adam West's call outs and how Adam would over extenuate the call out and make the crew laugh so they'd have to record it several times and Lyman getting the SLE names done at the same time.

tempImageH6TGmw.png

Really sad news, and by the sounds of it, completely out of the blue.

Neil mentioned that he was 55. Looking at the game history that Poibug posted, that means he was coding his first game at 26. He worked on 5 more over the next 2 years, before doing Attack from Mars, at 28.

What an unbelievable, incredible talent.
indeed :( Pin2K would have been a total flop without his hard effort and focus too.

Not been on the forum too much lately so only just seen this and wow. Just gutted. One of the first pinball superstars that I admired. Early days. 'Afro' like hair, American style and an amazing player.

Was hoping to meet one of my heros one day but alas, will not.

Real legend and truely sad news. As they say , gone but never forgotten.

RIP Lyman

Back
Top Bottom