What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RFM Updates

Thoughts on better ways to award Hypno Beam? Currently the logic is at the 3rd sol award 'force' the hypnobeam award on the player!!! Not very random or a stroke of luck!

Surely a RNG "match" would be better as with any award?

New feature added! Yes from scratch and integrated into exiting game logic.

'Quick-Shot' Hurry up.

Shoot the drop target to collect a countdown score. Progressive score levels for each successful shot completed. Still a few bugs to solve in the graphics, but damn this was a lot of work to do. Takes blooming ages to develop this stuff and is extremely annoying at times, but quite a sense of achievement when you get it nailed!

IMG_2878.JPG

New feature added! Yes from scratch and integrated into exiting game logic.

'Quick-Shot' Hurry up.

Shoot the drop target to collect a countdown score. Progressive score levels for each successful shot completed. Still a few bugs to solve in the graphics, but damn this was a lot of work to do. Takes blooming ages to develop this stuff and is extremely annoying at times, but quite a sense of achievement when you get it nailed!

View attachment 74464

amazing :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Update notes now stand as:

V2.0 RFM Update

Quick-Shot - Hurry up feature created - Shoot drop target to collect countdown score
Quick-Shot - Graphics animations (Mothership used from martian aerobics), text and boxes created.
Quick-Shot - Progressive scoring, Each successful award increases start value
Secret Weapon - altered the amount of speech in the mode when shots made
Secret Weapon - added ROUND X FIGHT speech with adj option to mode start
Secret Weapon - added stooge fight move to ramp shots
Secret Weapon - decreased punch and kick move effectiveness for easy centre shots
Secret Weapon - Added language translations for name and settings using google translate
Secret Weapon - Saucer light now requires completing all robot-lincoln moves
Secret Weapon - Martian now rejuvenates if Abe is idle for too long
Circle Shots - Missile Champ Added
Circle Shots - Missile awards now offer Martian bombs at certain thresholds
Circle Shots - Missile awards now offer Ball Save restart at certain thresholds
Circle Shots - Missile points awards are bigger and easier to get, plus there more of them
Circle Shots - Missiles total now awards a champ entry if beaten
Hypnobeam - Beams destroyed now awards a champ entry if beaten
Attract - Missile Champ Screen Added
Attract - Hypnobeam Champ Added
Attract - added more speech call options to flipper button presses
Attract - Removed Dillon Tribute to gain more ram space
Scene - Now can start from the saucer modes in the centre
Ball Save - Balls are now autolaunched form shooter lane at correct time
Service Mode - updated video test alignment image to save ram, 200k freed
Service Mode - cleaned up brightness/contrast levels on video test alignment image
Stroke of Luck - Added ball save award
Stroke of Luck - Added collect bonus award
Stroke of Luck - Added 2 million award
Stroke of Luck - Removed saucer light award

XINA 1.23 Update
Video test alignment graphics optimised and cleaned up to free valuable flash memory
Test system info menu updated with more colours for versions
Test system info now states 'custom build' - lets not upset anyone! ;)
Ball Saver class changes for better game autolaunch in RFM build

Ya know... people's computers get hacked all of the time. Information, data and software gets stolen, and then gets distributed online. I guess those dummies who complain would just have to suck it up if that ever happened.

All that aside, good work Jim. The update looks fantastic.

promo-rfm-v2-splash.jpg

V2.0 RFM Update

Quick-Shot - Hurry up feature created - Shoot drop target to collect countdown score
Quick-Shot - Graphics animations (Mothership used from martian aerobics), text and boxes created.
Quick-Shot - Progressive scoring, Each successful award increases start value
Secret Weapon - altered the amount of speech in the mode when shots made
Secret Weapon - added ROUND X FIGHT speech with adj option to mode start
Secret Weapon - added stooge fight move to ramp shots
Secret Weapon - decreased punch and kick move effectiveness for easy centre shots
Secret Weapon - Added language translations for name and settings
Secret Weapon - Saucer light now requires completing all robot-lincoln moves
Secret Weapon - Martian now rejuvenates if Abe is idle for too long
Circle Shots - Missile Champ Added
Circle Shots - Missile awards now offer Martian bombs at certain thresholds
Circle Shots - Missile awards now offer Ball Save restart at certain thresholds
Circle Shots - Missile awards now offer Quick-Shot at certain thresholds
Circle Shots - Missile points awards are bigger and easier to get, plus there more of them
Circle Shots - Missiles total now awards a champ entry if beaten
Hypnobeam - Beams destroyed now awards a champ entry if beaten
Attract - Added new lamp show effect - searchlight
Attract - Added new lamp show effect - sweep up and down
Attract - Updated the regular playfield lamp strobing effect
Attract - Missile Champ Screen Added
Attract - Hypnobeam Champ Added
Attract - added more speech call options to flipper button presses
Attract - Removed Dillon Tribute to gain more ram space
Scene - Now can start from the saucer modes in the centre
Ball Save - Balls are now autolaunched form shooter lane at correct time
Service Mode - updated video test alignment image to save ram, 200k freed
Service Mode - cleaned up brightness/contrast levels on video test alignment image
Stroke of Luck - Added ball save award
Stroke of Luck - Added collect bonus award
Stroke of Luck - Added 2 million award
Stroke of Luck - Removed saucer light award

XINA 1.30 Update
Video test alignment graphics optimised and cleaned up to free valuable flash memory
Test system info menu updated with more colours for versions
Test system info now states 'custom build' - lets not upset anyone! ;)
Ball Saver class changes for better game autolaunch in RFM build

*Will run on pinbox and original hardware
*8Mb ram still needed if running original hardware, based on my own tests, as set from v1.8 onwards

Last edited:
*8Mb ram still needed if running original hardware, based on my own tests, as set from v1.8 onwards

****, how do I find out how much RAM I currently have? I am on original hardware running 1.91. So I must already have 8mb right?!

Downloaded to PC and uploaded to RFM this morning, much appreciated Jim, made a donation via your site.

Merry Christmas to all.

Now back to it....

Chris.

985C8966-5EAC-4ACB-AF28-455F02BF726B.jpeg
E679F0EA-2750-439F-A831-2C940AECFF79.jpeg

How do you put it in nucore/pin box Jim?

Excellent work ! :)

I’ll create some instructions for updating pinbox on my site when I get some time, not sure yet when as on hols over Christmas, though it’s pretty simple. You just update the rfm15 update folder with the new files from the extracted update zip

Original games update in the same way as originally as shown above

Notes for updating pinbox systems (I will update these notes and add to my site as time allows. Please read carefully)
  1. On a computer of your choice extract the files within the update exe (This is a basic zip file)
    • There are 6 files:
      • pin2000_50070_0200_bootdata.rom
      • pin2000_50070_0200_game.rom
      • pin2000_50070_0200_im_flsh0.rom
      • pin2000_50070_0200_pubboot.rom
      • pin2000_50070_0200_sf.rom
      • pin2000_50070_0200_symbols.rom
  2. Copy the files to a spare usb drive
  3. On your rfm pinbox computer, Navigate to folder /root/pinbox/update/rfm_15/ (either by logging into lxdm, or from command line, or using ssh/sftp etc)
  4. Delete or move ALL the existing files within this folder
  5. Copy the new files to this folder. Only the files, no additional folders.
  6. Make sure the update.bin file from the original installation of pinbox is deleted/moved. This will be recreated from the new update files
  7. Move/delete rfm_15.nvram* files from /root/pinbox/roms/savedata/ These files store the settings and high score data but may stop the update if not deleted/moved first.
  8. Reboot the rfm computer
  9. Enjoy v2.0 game code on pinbox

4..... (either by logging into lxdm, or from command line, or using ssh/sftp etc)

Can someone expand on that please? I can't be the only one those options mean little to.

How do you even stop the pc booting straight into RFM to do any of those things?

Can someone expand on that please? I can't be the only one those options mean little to.

How do you even stop the pc booting straight into RFM to do any of those things?

You don't have to Kev, just ssh into the box as long as its connected to your network via Putty whilst its running.

https://www.putty.org/

Thanks Sean, so start by connecting it to my network with an ethernet? Then run that putty program and it will find pinbox?

lol, bear i mind pinbox was never designed to have game updates really. Its just an emulator. Worth getting to know this update process as i'll be doing more updates next year....

To get to the terminal and or desktop of the system from a running game (and not wanting to use ssh,sftp) add these steps first:

1) Press F1
2) Log in from the command prompt ( if its a system i setup contact me via pm for the details). Use your own details if not
3) for gui desktop type sudo lxdm , or use the terminal

Back
Top Bottom