What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revenge From Mars Help & Advice

Martin.D

Registered
Alias
No-Clu
Hello All,
Old player new to being an owner.
Now looking to learn how to maintain table myself. Leading to more tables later.
First table bought about 2 weeks ago Revenge From Mars. Careful as I was checking before buying table, has a few problems I hope people can help with.

Was working fine after transport home. BUT....
After replacing Bios battery and working out how to access bios without power switch (Dell no case/control panel).
Now unable to start game.

Revenge From Mars (50070) (V1.6)
Computer.
Dell 755 with SSD installed with Pinbox (1.04).

Rom check shows Mask Rom (U102,U203) Checksum bad.

Suggestions for ways to fix unable to start game? 4 balls already in table, table on Free Play & Start light flashing.
Also is safe to update Pinbox with new Nucore 2.25?

Playfield.
Run checks as best I can. One fault I can see test Right Martian go's up but not down (Drops after moving to next test). Left Martian up & down on test.
Suggestions to fix?
Lamp 88b Shooter Lane 8. This lamp bulb not red or maybe missing red cover?

Table cleaning/maintenance.
Already have Novus 1 cleaning playfield & Plastics, but is Beeswax Furniture cream suitable for pinball table?
Do any parts need oil or lubricant?
Want other parts need cleaning inside or on playfield?

Finally having checked inside cabinet and cleaning out. Oh the horror.
Can anyone tell me what these parts are (see pictures)? Think 1 is slam tilt which I can not get responce from under switch test.

CAM00126.jpgCAM00127.jpgCAM00128.jpg

The spring is for the power driver board cover

If you have checksum errors then your install is messed up as these are just files in a pinbox install, I would just reinstall pinbox then update to my v2.1 software.

Regarding the martian not jumping, but staying on during test, sounds like a bad driver transistor shorted, though normally this would blow a fuse, so may be mechanical if the mech is gummed up of getting jammed up somehow.

Regarding the game not starting, check your start button works in switch test and all ball trough switches work in switch test

Ok update after all information given. Thanks for that.
More research into Martian jump up but not come down. This seems likely dirty coil sleve, does this sound possible? Hope to strip down coil over weekend and clean to see if sorts problem.

Sadly Pinbox reinstall onto 8gb SSD did not work. Not sure version I found working correctly.
Install gets to "restart now" page, but when prompted to hit the “ENTER” key after taking the CD out of the CD-ROM. Remove the CD and press the enter key. No keyboard responce.
Rebooting does not come up with menu for 2 options for loading roms. Just give pinbox command promt.

Found (Likely old) rfmpb.zip rom set. overwrite current roms and updated Revenge From Mars Software update 2.10. (See picture system information).
Results interesting. Each time table switched on asks for price of game. But rom test ok no Checksum errors. Also reports Slam tilt open.
Need to find correct rom sets not sure current making more problems. Any locations still have available?

Still will not start game.
Switch test result enclosed. Start button tested ok. Trough switches seem ok 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 & 4.5 show ball in place (See picture). And tested 4.1 to 4.5 switch on/off.
Any more advice on what to check to get game started?

IMG_20190906_191803.jpgCAM00129.jpg

Yes set to free play. But also switched free place off and added credits using coin door. Still no start.
Odd as when got it home work ok after long travel. Turn on game boot with error messages about bios battery. I play a quick game. Turn off game. Replace battery and this is where my problems start.
Still on the plus side learning alot about inside of table :)

When you reinstall Pinbox onto a Dell you need to do some messing about in linux to get it to boot correctly.

You also need to change a couple of settings in the bios to automatically boot when power is applied, or short together the PS_ON (usually green wire) to a ground (black cable) on the ATX connector.

I know this sounds absolutely daft - sure a wire has not come off the start button or something equally as daft that has been over looked?

Can you do a switch test in the RFM menu and test the start button?

As said above start switch tested. And tested all switchs I could press. All seem ok apart from slam tilt. Currently looking into why slam tilt not working and if this stops game from starting?

It is a weird one. I am based in Birmingham if you want me to have a look at it, as I have done plenty of these pinbox conversions. Jim is up North so another 2 hours on from me. By the sound of it - I think its something daft.
What do you have the parallel port set to in the BIOS. SPP is best in my opinion.

Progess.
"Right martian not jumping" correctly. Dirty coil sleve and shaft. Fixed.
Clean and tested playfield. Replaced LEDs and found 2 more lights out but maybe sockets not LEDs.

But problem with game not start still remain.
Think not starting related to Switch 17 (see above grid) is on and slam tilt switch not responding when touched.
Would this stop game starting? Can anyone help check and test this?

From the pic above the slam switch in the cab has a screw missing ,so could have been taken apart and not fitted back properly or the wires on the back of the switch could be touching so just unplug that switch to eliminate that switch for now , you can just see the connector in the pic as well .And yes if a slam switch is on a game will not start . I assume the game is in attract mode ?
Also there is a slam switch on the coin door to ,check if that has not been knocked !!image.jpg
My computer for mine is having a health checkup with Jim at the moment ( mypinballs) so can't really help other then that sorry !!

Progess.
"Right martian not jumping" correctly. Dirty coil sleve and shaft. Fixed.
Clean and tested playfield. Replaced LEDs and found 2 more lights out but maybe sockets not LEDs.

But problem with game not start still remain.
Think not starting related to Switch 17 (see above grid) is on and slam tilt switch not responding when touched.
Would this stop game starting? Can anyone help check and test this?

switch 17 is the right return lane, thats nothing to do with it

plus if you had a slam switch stuck closed then you'd have a message stating as much like this

IMG_4875.JPG

My advice is still CHECK THE TROUGH and associated switches. This is the only way a game wont start. The software checks for a full trough before any mode select screen is presented.

Also when checking the trough you need to make sure the balls are rolling smoothly within it and not getting stuck on divots. Never test switches with your fingers either, only a ball as you wont test accurately with anything else.

Last edited:
Update.
"Pick Holder" you were right, was something simple thankfully. Make harder to find by old software.
"Carl Lawrence" thanks for picture. Did not know there are 2 parts to Slam Tilt system. Turned out door part parts touching.
"MyPinballs" thanks for suggestion of updating to 2.1. Under 1.6 this problem only shows as 17 switch closed (See switch grid picture). Under 2.1 You get error "Slam Tilt switch is stuck open", missed it first time as message disappear quickly.

Back
Top Bottom