What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacing board connectors

cr5000462

Registered
Alias
CR
Ive seen it done a few ways, but is there a "prefered" option? im talking about the female connectors that go onto the board pins,
as you can see from the photos below, the old and new are different, Which way would you recommend?

Screenshot 2020-05-24 at 12.30.18.png

I always do it the old way and punch the wires in the new connectors. Same as original. Never had a problem.

Trifurcon molex is a better connection than IDC but tbh both are fine. It depends more on the tools you have or want to buy (crimp tool or IDC pusher) 👍 if I didn't have either tool then I'd buy a crimper first.

If you’re repinning a whole connector - do it properly and go Molex.

If you’re just redoing a wire or two - use whatever is already there.

IDC was done for cost and speed reasons, not reliability. Molex is better in every way except cost and speed (on an industrial scale at least)

Thanks,
What's the correct size idc tool? Also the technical name/size for the connectors that fit on our machines?

It's shopping time :confused:

Oh - and a good solder sucker! Clean board with IPA to get all the crud off.

Is 0.156 a standard size for pinball machines? So in theory a whole machine could be redone with different size (in terms of number of pins) connectors

Is 0.156 a standard size for pinball machines? So in theory a whole machine could be redone with different size (in terms of number of pins) connectors

You tend to find both "large" 0.156" and "small" 0.1" (10/inch), if you go the crimp route (my preference) this tool does both (and also in-line wire to wire plugs);

It is very rare you have to use the smaller ones in my experience. On most machines I have to get out the 0.156 tool....

Those crimpers of Andy's seem to be out of stock as well. I do need to get some as the 0.1 pitch for some other non pinball projects so will use crimps in keeping with the original wiring.

Ebay to the rescue.

Thank you,
I think I will go for the original method

So it's just buy the 0.156 tool.
Buy connectors to suit. Either 0.156 or the smaller 0.1 pitch connectors.
Punch the wires into the new connector,
Bobs your uncle it's done.

And to clarify on the new route, it's crimp the connector using the crimping tool, insert into the plastic housing, plug in and away we go.

I'm trying to keep this simple until I get the hang of it

That would be for the new way?
Ideally, you use a polarising pin for both approaches (and sizes) it's what aligns the connector housing with the missing pin on the header to avoid plugging into the wrong place. :thumbs:

You can always take the one polarising pin out of the old connector if you use the same type.

Personally I prefer to swap like for like. IDC on pinballs and molex crimps on arcade/jukeboxes.

Either way works fine, it is all about having the right tools and consumables.

I prefer Molex, but do recognise that the inferior idc connectors have worked quite happily for decades

I find molex a bit more robust. IDC easier and quicker to replace but you MUST have a very good tool to do it properly

I only have a cheap plasticky IDC tool

Am I being a girl here or are the idc connectors super hard to push in, really hurt my hands doing them, often slipping and nearly stabbing myself :rofl:

Might change to crimped

I’ve got an old British Telecom IDC tool from the eighties and its a piece of cake😁

Here you go

Attachments

• FEB3D13E-C31D-4156-87EF-80C635800C67.jpeg
    FEB3D13E-C31D-4156-87EF-80C635800C67.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 494A63E8-004B-46FD-B87D-F259D0C7052D.jpeg
    494A63E8-004B-46FD-B87D-F259D0C7052D.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 38
Am I being a girl here or are the idc connectors super hard to push in, really hurt my hands doing them, often slipping and nearly stabbing myself :rofl:

Might change to crimped

I’m having the same issue, it’s 18 gauge wire and just seems to thick, already written off my plastic idc tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can crimp, can IDC.

Have a decent IDC tool (not as good as @M4carp 's) but there are times when even that is of no use and I have had to resort to the small watch mending screwdrivers...

Back
Top Bottom