What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repairing my first Pinball Machine - Time Machine (Data East)

I fitted a set of those for Robocop and fitted perfectly, they were all mangled or broke on mine.
Thanks.

That's good news, hopefully this assembly is suitable ?. I have sent Pinball Mania an email to confirm.

Thanks.

That's good news, hopefully this assembly is suitable ?. I have sent Pinball Mania an email to confirm.
He should confirm they will fit, I checked with him as I couldn’t find any data east versions except from MOP at the time.

He should confirm they will fit, I checked with him as I couldn’t find any data east versions except from MOP at the time.
Pinball Mania confirmed that Leaf Assembly "should be ok", so I will look to order this thanks.

Ordered some Coils, Transistors and Pop Bumper parts from Pinball Heaven today, hopefully I can get it back up and running soon 🤞

In the meantime decided to start polishing up the metal work.

Actually I very quickly removed the surface rust on the legs before fitting them, they look better but are not perfect the insides are shot but I'll take care of that later.

View attachment 155534View attachment 155535
View attachment 155536
Looks great, I'l have to look for that paste. Its amazing hows things come up.

I have found a drimmel with Autosol metal polish and a combination of polishing heads and drimmel powder very affective. Useful on smaller parts.

Unless of course you have a tumbler.

Worth testing the the pre driver to check or just replace if you have one. Also worth checking the coil diode is on the right way round if you changed the coil, I believe the band should be next to the power in lug
Diode are my albatross

Replacement parts arrived today from Pinball Heaven, excellent service and assistance :)

Purchased some Coils, Bumper Main Body Plastics and Skirts, Transistors, Pre-Drive Transistors and some Fuses.

Removed and fitted new Q11 Top Left Bumper Drive Transistor (TIP102)

New Solenoid Coil 23-800 fitted for Top Left Bumper, and new Bumper Body Plastic and Skirt installed.

New Fuse (3A) fitted to F5 on the PSU Board.

Powered up the Machine and no blown Fuses, (this is good at least). All Sling Shots and Pop Bumpers work apart from the original Top Left one that caused the issue. All other Pop Bumpers and Slingshots work fine.

The Pop Bumper Leaf Switch appears to be fine. I have not replaced the Pre-Driver for Pop Bumper, only changed the Drive Transistor Q11 ( I actually forgot to change it tbh).

If anyone can help point me in the right direction that would grateful, is it likely the Pre-Driver Transistor needs changed out ? Wiring to the new Coil is correct, voltage measured at the Coil approx 40V.

Thanks
Pinball Heaven are great!

Thanks for the feedback and info folks. I have been busy, you know what like at this time of year. Plus the wife going nuts I am spending a lot of time on this machine 😂

I think I have found the problem on the leaf switch,

The contact on the Spoon does make not contact with the Solenoid Switch Contact. Actually it looks to be to short, it must have broken,. The Spoon only makes contact with the back Solenoid Switch Contact (and it lifts from the one in front of it)

I will look to order a new Leaf Switch Assembly. I can't seem to find one for Data East Machine but have only did a quick search, but I think something like this is required,

Unless contacts can be bought and I can make up the assembly ? I haven't had time to further inspect them yet.

On the upside the Machine is working but without the single pop bumper, so kids can enjoy the now also.

I need to look at the Kickback Plunger also as that's broke, but should be a simple fix.
Marco pinball will probably have them :)

Welcome to the iritation of a minor part only being avaiable in the US, had this multiple times with LOTR.

If Marco do have them just let pinballl heaven know and they will pick it up for you in one of there many regular orders

Marco pinball will probably have them :)

Welcome to the iritation of a minor part only being avaiable in the US, had this multiple times with LOTR.

If Marco do have them just let pinballl heaven know and they will pick it up for you in one of there many regular orders
Although I see further down Pinball mania have an alternative :)

Re. the kick-back plunger; if the machine has a knocker, does it use the same part? With Williams games, it wasn't unknown for the knocker to be regarded as a source of spares for the outlane kickback.

That's if the "works, dunnit?" grade of operator/technician could be bothered about repairing a kickback

Last edited:
Re. the kick-back plunger; if the machine has a knocker, does it use the same part? With Williams games, it wasn't unknown for the knocker to be regarded as a source of spares for the outlane kickback.

Ah yes the Machine had a knocker, not sure if it's the same part. Thanks for the heads up I'll check to see if they are the same part.

I looked at the manual online, where it seems to called a 'klacker', but there wasn't a drawing of the kickback.

In your comparison pictures of the bumper switches, your bumper switch blades seem really mangled. Is it being used with them apparently touching like that? Unless the picture shows it with the footplate pushed down, of course.
And the other picture, which I think shows a Williams unit, doesn't tally with my recollection regarding the scoring switch - the longer blade fits above the linkages, so that they hold the blades apart with the bumper off. As the bumper operates, the longer blade is freed to travel and contact the shorter blade; in the picture they're badly skewed to keep them apart until the linkages push the longer one.

Last edited:
I looked at the manual online, where it seems to called a 'klacker', but there wasn't a drawing of the kickback.

In your comparison pictures of the bumper switches, your bumper switch blades seem really mangled. Is it being used with them apparently touching like that? Unless the picture shows it with the footplate pushed down, of course.
And the other picture, which I think shows a Williams unit, doesn't tally with my recollection regarding the scoring switch - the longer blade fits above the linkages, so that they hold the blades apart with the bumper off. As the bumper operates, the longer blade is freed to travel and contact the shorter blade; in the picture they're badly skewed to keep them apart until the linkages push the longer one.
Here is the current Kickback Plunger,
IMG_20211228_115300794.jpgIMG_20211228_115238267.jpgIMG_20211224_111845903.jpg

I have ordered the following from Pinball Mania along with a Leaf Switch to fix my Pop Bumper (fingers crossed)

Here is the current Kickback Plunger,
View attachment 156011View attachment 156012View attachment 156013

I have ordered the following from Pinball Mania along with a Leaf Switch to fix my Pop Bumper (fingers crossed)

If the plunger doesn't work you may need the data East one 515-5000-02. The earlier ones were same number but ending 00 and 01. The 02 version supercedes according to marco.

Ah yes the Machine had a knocker, not sure if it's the same part. Thanks for the heads up I'll check to see if they are the same part.
Data East did generally use the same assembly for their kickback (laser kick) and the knocker (klacker) but they sometimes had different coil strength.

New Kickback Plunger and Pop Bumper Leaf Switch arrived today.

IMG_20220105_121607004.jpg

Kickback Plunger replaced and works perfectly, nice and smooth and consistent with the new spring.

Pop Bumper Leaf Switch fitted today also, the dodgy pop bumper (red, top left) works great and is now all good.

View attachment Pop.mov

Thanks to all who assisted with me fault finding and offering advice, it's very much appreciated.

For now, everything is all good :D

Back
Top Bottom