What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Project Apollo - Games/Gym Room Build

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Neil

If you are putting in for planning, it means that you might as well add a bit to the height to give yourself plenty of clearance for toppers. All these shed folk instinctively go for dimensions that fall within permitted development - but once you are out of that regime you can tailor it to your requirements

Neighbours complaining is pretty irrlevant really. Planning is supposed to be an objective assessment based on facts. It is only if your neighbours highlight relevant facts that your council was unaware of that it might become a problem.

yup thats exactly what I've done. Now I'm going planning I can have a pitched roof also which will help with height massively. my only concern now is building regs. trying to get local council building officer down to have a chat, the only thing I'm concerned with is the base, the insulation requirements I'm already planning to exceed regs spec.

Neil.

@Neil McRae

Consider getting an independent Building Control officer.

These guys are usually Ex local authority. I am with an independent one. She looks to solve problems rather than simply cause them. I am working with the head of the little firm as it was obvious over the phone that she was a good 'un. And I wanted her on my build. They develop reputations with local builders. If they are obstinate, officious, awkward .. Word gets out and none of the builders will work with them.

My local authority wanted me to get structural engineer's reports and detailed materials listings put together by someone at my cost. The local authority then wanted to check that these were correct. It also advised me not to build the thing at all, to reduce its size and keep it out of building regs as they would be so awkward about it.

My independent one just tells me what to use in the first place. What thickness osb. What thickness insulation. What thickness concrete. What wooden lintels. She is incredibly responsive. Not remotely like the local authority.

DRD thanks I'll take a look at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would recommend her without hesitation, but the distance is too great. These guys want to do multiple visits in a morning. She does not hang about

+1 for Independent Building Control Officer from my experiences.

Generally speaking they're motivated and paid to get things done properly and efficiently, helping to solve problems, rather than apparently bring motivated to find problems and reasons not to do things (whilst not operating very quickly).

One word of caution though - if you've engaged/applied for Building Regs via the local Council, you can't then swap to an independent after the process has formally started

here is a quick picture top down from the cabin builder:

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 12.32.39.png

no :) but cheaper than me ballsing it up for sure LOL

all in its looking around the 35K mark. but Ive gone conservative on a couple of costs so maybe 3K less. The most expensive quote I've had puts it in the 55K mark.

What the... :eek: Looks nice, but where are you sourcing this from?

This cost me £4,500 including delivery and erection. 30 sqm in size. Did the decking and treatment myself (still to finish) and internal insulating/cladding still to do. Some DG UPVC doors and windows when got the £.

s26.postimg.org_ranggbtm1_20170731_123545.jpg

Last edited:
Keops. Not the cheapest for the whole thing but for sure the most clueful the guys Julian used where almost 15K more! I've seen that same size for the same money but when you go beyond 30sqm the price does steps up considerably. But I'm also adding a few things to price it even higher such as dual skin.

5 quotes put the cabin all pretty much at the 12-13K mark with dual skin and about a grand for erection. It includes double glazed doors (high end aluminium) and windows.

Insulation costs for building regs is coming in at almost the same again! but again quotes on this are all roughly in the same ballpark - to be honest this is the area I'm less convinced about value for money! And am still discussing.

Concrete base cheapest I've found is 9K so far andnother wuotes 10K+!

Electrics I'm assuming 4K plus 2K for A/C assuming I can't reuse my existing A/C

Cheers,
Neil

Makes more sense, I was costing these to about £12-£14K with or without erection. That PUR insulated double-skin log cabin type is expensive but should be spot on for warmth/cooling in summer.

You should be fine with a concrete raft base, no need to make deep foundations. £9K seems well OTT.

Anyway, should be cool as when finished. :thumbs:

As far as log cabins go, these guys near me came up with the best options/cost IMO for anyone else looking at these type of outbuildings:

http://latvianlogcabins.co.uk/

For those considering Pinball sheds I think THE key decision is wood floor v concrete floor

I went for concrete but you open the door to a world of chaos

Digging
Losing the soil
Weather dependency on pouring the foundation
Time for it to dry
Time for the screed to dry

Whatever you go for is a personal choice. Had I gone for wood my shed would have been cheaper and I would be in it now. As opposed to weighing up what type of screed to go for.

bloody council has a planning backlog. Planning in and going so freaking slow...

Yeah Kev. I think I have p1ssed away about the price of a good wpc game on it

Horrible to order
Toxic to cut
Inherent design flaw
120 to get it delivered as it is so cumbersome
My builders hate it
The supplier got my quantities wrong
Even the sodding paint they supply says it cannot be used on areas greater than 6mm across
Mentally this stuff is coming down within a few years

Do not buy this rubbish

I’ll be honest when i looked it up I thought it looked a bit ropey but I’m no builder so didn’t want to say!

My experience couldn't be further than yours David. Easy to cut and fit and looks the dogs danglies and you never have to treat or paint it ever again.

Sounds like it was more issues with your supplier than the actual product?

@newdos how did you get on with it?

image.jpg

My experience couldn't be further than yours David. Easy to cut and fit and looks the dogs danglies and you never have to treat or paint it ever again.

Sounds like it was more issues with your supplier than the actual product?

@newdos how did you get on with it?

View attachment 51770
I got on with it fab looks lovely totally weatherproof and last for ever and a doddle to fit - I have been on hols the last 2 weeks so not cuaght up yet what has @DRD problem been with it ?

Cheers

Kev

Ok planning folks came round looks all good but until I’ve got the paperwork I ain’t celebrating too much a he said I’d have it end of the month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

planning came back yesterday, they want "full arboricultural information", Which is a report by a tree hugging hippy thats going to cost me 800quid!

Ouchhhh, are you taking down any trees or very near to ?

How about you chop the trees down, then you won't be building near any and won't need to get the 'full arboricultural report" as there will be no trees to report on?;):thumbs:

To be honest that was my first thought and I signaled that to the planning officer. The response was i’d still need the report - once they’ve requested this they won’t proceed until they get it! What’s annoying is that they could have told me this during the site visit and I could have had it done by now.

Regards,
Neil

I had to do this when we did our extension because there is an oak tree just outside our garden. I then had to protect the roots during the build, and the tree bloke at the council said the plan my expert had come up with was barely suitable for pedestrian traffic, and we couldn't take any plant or heavy materials over the area the roots are in. :cuckoo:

As this was pretty much all of the side of the house where we had to bring everything it sort of scuppered the plans. We just agreed that we wouldn't do anything naughty to get planning and then we did whatever we needed to and the tree bloke from the council was none the wiser. The oak tree is still going strong so I guess we didn't hurt it's feelings too much...

The stupid thing is, the other half of the roots going away from my garden go under a main Road so have the weight of buses etc driving over them but that's not an issue. :hmm: :mad:

yup thats what I'm worried about now. and yes the existing building, swimming pool and road all have no impact on the roots! idiots.

Back
Top Bottom