What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powder Coating

Mark

Registered
10 Years
Hi all, I am thinking of getting some pinball legs powder coated, but know nothing about it.

I've looked online and found a company reasonably locally who do this. I asked them what they charge and they said it would be £40 for the powdercoating the legs and an additional £20 if they need stripping. I guess for black legs, they would need stripping first, is this right?

Also, do those prices sound about right?

Is there anything else I need to check or ask them first? I was thinking I would need to put a bolt in the leg leveller hold to stop it getting blocked. I'm wondering about getting the side rails and lockdown bar done at the same time - is there anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks again,

Mark

Sounds expensive. I've not had any done for a while, but I used to do a cash deal at my local place and it was between £1.50 - £5 per item depending on the size of the items and the position of the moon in relation to the planet.

Black should be the cheapest (as most of their work is black, they can usually throw your stuff in with other orders)

Colours cost more and chromium silver is the most expensive.

Stripping (or acid dipping as my place did) is essential for a nice finish on highly rusted parts

Thanks Luke, very useful - I will have another chat with them and see what I can negotiate!

Hi Paul, no problem - I'm home now and the details are on my desk at work, but will let you know who I spoke to tomorrow :)

Cheers,

Mark

Powder coating has become popular over the last couple of years with Stern bringing out their Luxury editions. IMHO it cheapens the appearance of the pin with some of them lookn like they have been attacked with a sparse brush full of gaudy Hammerite.. At times chipped n dodgy requiring immediate replacement. If your components are corroded ........ Save n buy new. Personal thing which to me just looks craaaap.

Hi Mark i pay £20 for all four leg non metalic or £30 for metalic one thing i always do is screw the levelers right down so you dont coat any threads or they are a nightmare to get out mail me off group if you want more info

Save n buy new. Personal thing which to me just looks craaaap.

Other than a couple of the modern standard sizes, most legs shape, styles and sizes are no longer available (remember so many EM's and SS's have specific leg requirements) so the only option is to rescue the originals.

Also it would cost me £1610 to replace all the legs on all my pins ;)

i recently got some stuff done in black gloss; total cost £60.

Coin door (frame and door)
VUK for AFM
4x legs (also needed sand blasting - didn't do the feet/levellers)
2x rails
1x lock down bar
2x back box hinges.

Close Engineering, about 10miles from me. They seemed quite surprised by the cheapness.

It all looks really nice.

I'm getting 4 more legs done soon, but that's it for the foreseeable future.

i recently got some stuff done in black gloss; total cost £60.

Coin door (frame and door)
VUK for AFM
4x legs (also needed sand blasting - didn't do the feet/levellers)
2x rails
1x lock down bar
2x back box hinges.

Close Engineering, about 10miles from me. They seemed quite surprised by the cheapness.

It all looks really nice.

I'm getting 4 more legs done soon, but that's it for the foreseeable future.
Do you think the VUK will stand up to the punishment it gets ? Power coating is great stuff and looks really good but it's downfall is it chips real easy.
You will have to keep up up dated on that on Paul.

You will have to keep up up dated on that on Paul.

Agreed, I'm not entirely sure so treading carefully on that - but it's something others have already done in various AFM refurbs...

e.g.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/to...restoration-the-beginning/page/2#post-1547079

...and i managed to find another VUK in case i **** this one up - which i could spray with a black gloss instead, or leave it as is.

As i was doing the other stuff anyway i just thought why the hell not.

Flare in warrington charge £30 for 4 legs. Theres a place opened where i live so will be checking them out soon. £20 sounds a steal tho

Hi Paul, the company I have been speaking to are http://www.protechcoatings.co.uk/ near Wolverhampton.

From the other posts here, it looks like they are not the cheapest, but they are quite local so will probably give them a go at some point. They said it usually takes no more than 5 days form dropping them off, and they have a range of colours and shades they can show me when I call round.

Cheers, Mark

I'll ask the platers (if i ever get there!! :( Sorry Rudi!) if they know of anywhere decent when i get there....!!

Just the thing I was going to ask. got a spare Capcom set that I was toying with powder coating for BBB. What do you reckon this colour would look like for BBB trim
image.jpg

It will be... As soon as the car make it out of the garage (it's still there, and i'm still baulking over the minimum £600 bill I'm gonna get) :(

Indeed... they did say "minimum" £600, and that wasn't guaranteed to cure the problem... could be more (up to a grand) if they cant get the injectors out of the head... :(

FFS :(

Lots of powder coaters out there. Make sure they blast or dip before application. Certain colours require two coats so are more expensive. I am getting 4 legs, 1 lock down bar, 2 side rails, 2 hinges, 4 metal habitrails, 1 coin door and frame, power box and line cord box, playfield arm rest and miscellaneous bolts coated in dormant blue for £100 from a place in Castleford. http://www.midastouchgb.co.uk/ Roll on my Apollo 13 refurb - all pimped in blue!

Lots of powder coaters out there. Make sure they blast or dip before application. Certain colours require two coats so are more expensive. I am getting 4 legs, 1 lock down bar, 2 side rails, 2 hinges, 4 metal habitrails, 1 coin door and frame, power box and line cord box, playfield arm rest and miscellaneous bolts coated in dormant blue for £100 from a place in Castleford. http://www.midastouchgb.co.uk/ Roll on my Apollo 13 refurb - all pimped in blue!
Blue ?

To match the apron and habitrails. Dormant blue is a pearlescent colour - really pops. Trust me ;)

...and if it looks cr@p - it's only Apollo 13!

I use Worcester powder coating for all my stuff ( sign frames, car parts etc) good bunch of guys and will coat almost anything .... They have shot blasting, soda blasters, glass blasters all seperate so no contamination of media, also have dipping tanks to strip chemically,

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Company in Hartlepool quoted £40 for four legs stripped , blasted and coated. Not a bad price I thought

Sounds like a good price Kev, I've only contacted companies by email so far so I will try giving them a call at some point and see if I can haggle them down a bit :) Cheers, Mark

Certainly would look good on the rfm in red or black

Cheers kev

I enquiries at a company not 5 minutes away from where I live called Aurora Powder Coating: http://www.aurorapowdercoating.co.uk/

They quoted £40 to do 8 legs (2 sets) in gloss black. I need to confirm that includes shot blasting as their reply wasn't clear, but I think it does. Hopefully going to pop in tomorrow lunch time and see some samples.

Hi guys,

Looks like I am getting closer to getting this poweder coating done, and I am wondering whether to also get the lock down and side rails done at the same time.

Does anyone know what preparation I would need to do (they are blasting them), or do I just hand them over as they are?

With the lockdown and side rails done, are the edges smooth? Do they do both the inside and outside?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Back
Top Bottom