What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playfield restore vs replace

domlouis

Registered
Hello
So the playfield on my mm is ok but worn in places. I am thinking in the long term that it will need to be fixed.
Two options the way I see it:
- restore
- replace
Any views from anyone on these two options.
I see ministry of pinball sell a new playfield for 995 euros. I take it is only a repro. Is it bad to fit a repro to an original mm? I can see advantages to have a playfield on which you can transfer parts easier.
How much would a restore cost? I guess it depends on the extent of the wear. But ballpark?

Good question I think @chris platt restores them, no idea on price though like you said probably down to damage/wear?

Totally agree which is why I bought a cliffy protector for merlin hole (that's not from cliffy but you know what I mean) as this is the worst area.
I don't intend to do anything to it for a while. I live in the dream that one day my life will be so quiet and boring that I'll have time to spend doing something like this. At the moment I am at the opposite end of the spectrum.
But at the same time I have to think about the future. And if one day I have time to do a playfield replacement, I'll need the part to do it. Who is to say how much longer playfield replacement will be available? If that was the route to go I might as well buy one now and store it for that elusive day.
If however restore is what I decide to pay someone to do then I won't have that problem.

Just remember transferring 'everything' to a new playfield takes feckin ages.... I've just done it and probably won't do it again unless essential and a grail machine. I'm fussy as hell but will put with wear next time I think... or paint it back in.

Just remember transferring 'everything' to a new playfield takes feckin ages.... I've just done it and probably won't do it again unless essential and a grail machine. I'm fussy as hell but will put with wear next time I think... or paint it back in.
almost word for word what i would've said.

everyones different on keeping originality ...after post ,packing and insurance and import duty they would be nearer £1000 ..a restored would be approx. half of the new one if that helps ?

Back
Top Bottom