What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinsound - Still Worth It?

That was what swayed me, the difference in the re-orchestration so I ended up ordering one. The T2 one is particularly good as well which is what I plan to put it in. They are out of stock now until late September I think (or some time in September) as they have run out and need to create more. They did offer me a free accessory though as a sorry for waiting, I opted for the speaker cabling upgrade. I had the opportunity to try to the headphones at the UKPP and it was super weird having just the music as the headphones cancelled out the noise of the machine.

I didn't have much interest in it until I heard the chap on pinside doing the White Water reorchastration and now it's a must purchase. If the reorchastration ever gets released that is...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2932654/MAN OVER BOARD!!!!!.mp3

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2932654/Multiball WH2O.mp3

The quality difference is insane.

I think he's doing Indy too. Shame Rick at PPS is being a knob about copyright again, nice to see someone in the Pinside thread calling him out on his BS and fighting back though.

I think he's doing Indy too. Shame Rick at PPS is being a knob about copyright again, nice to see someone in the Pinside thread calling him out on his BS and fighting back though.

Definitely one for the popcorn now that thread!

Not that I'm one for resurrecting threads but I got the board on Friday and installed it in T2 on Saturday. Aside from colour DMD displays this is probably one of the best upgrades I've bought for my machine. The game sounds amazing now and I'm seriously considering buying some flipper fidelity speakers to make the sound even crisper that it already is (but the stock factory speakers seem to do a pretty good job of blasting the sound). Just wanted to update if anyone was thinking about going for this upgrade, gets a huge thumbs up from me!

Have you tried the cinematic score sound pack somebody did? PinSound had a T2 at the Pinball Party with that pack installed and it sounded fantastic! Then again, I've never really liked the original music. :)

Have you tried the cinematic score sound pack somebody did? PinSound had a T2 at the Pinball Party with that pack installed and it sounded fantastic! Then again, I've never really liked the original music. :)

I did, and I've got to admit I found it a bit boring and dull. Might try it at some stage but I really like the beefed up version of the original soundtrack. Personal preference I guess :thumbs:

I have a pinsound board in my T2 with all 3 soundtracks on it. You just can change between them at anytime just by turning the volume down to 0 and then back up again. I like all 3, it's nice to have the choice.

I have a pinsound board in my T2 with all 3 soundtracks on it. You just can change between them at anytime just by turning the volume down to 0 and then back up again. I like all 3, it's nice to have the choice.

I didn't know that, I might look at doing that this weekend. I did wonder why when I turned to volume to 0 and back up again it went off completely until I came out the menus. Thanks for the info!

You need to use the Pinsound studio really to make it practical. The sound files are distributed as ogg files on the internet but need to be converted to wav for the sound board to play them. The studio performs this conversion.

If you copied just the one zip file to the usb and then popped it in the board then the performs the conversion but it takes forever due to lack of processing power. If you use pinsound studio then it happens very quickly. You have to copy the whole folder structure to the usb, but can have multiple root folders with different soundtracks. I found out that simply copying multiple zip files directly doesn't work, it only converts one!

Just to add to this I also received my Pinsound board the same day as @Archyta5

I've just installed it in to my GnR - What a difference!! Put in the new GnR mix now with the actual GnR music - it now rocks like it should do!

It makes the sound a lot clearer as well on the stock speakers.

Just a word of advice for anyone planning on putting in a Data East machine - I had an issue with the sound fluctuating louder then quieter at lower volume levels using the Data East Volume Potentiometer (reports on the net of similar issues with DE tables). What I did was crank this up to a level where it worked correctly (I think I woke the entire street with how loud it got) and then turn down the cabinet and backbox volume on the actual Pinsound board itself.

If you copied just the one zip file to the usb and then popped it in the board then the performs the conversion but it takes forever due to lack of processing power.

Funny you mention that, as that probably was the longest part of the process. Swapping the boards took maybe 20 minutes (a doddle, more so if I didn't drop a screw down the back of the main board and then have to fish it out). Then sitting there for maybe 30 minutes while this elavator style music played and you get an electronic female voice "10% complete.....20% complete." etc. In the future I will look at using the software.

For the technically challenged it still sounds ball achingly complicated to install. Not sure I could be bothered. Or am I misunderstanding it all?

Sent from my dark age using Tapatalk
They're pretty easy to install really, just you're best to use their software if you want to use multiple soundtracks. Even doing that isn't too bad as long as you can make a couple of folders and copy files in to them! Its really worthwhile on a game like T2, that and GnR are probably the 2 most worthy candidates for it. It all depends on the quality of the content available to play through it really, for most machines I'm not sure theres so much to gain atm.

They're pretty easy to install really, just you're best to use their software if you want to use multiple soundtracks. Even doing that isn't too bad as long as you can make a couple of folders and copy files in to them! Its really worthwhile on a game like T2, that and GnR are probably the 2 most worthy candidates for it. It all depends on the quality of the content available to play through it really, for most machines I'm not sure theres so much to gain atm.
Don't forget Tommy! I think that's a pretty worthy pin for an audio upgrade, will def be doing it to mine down the line....

Don't forget Tommy! I think that's a pretty worthy pin for an audio upgrade, will def be doing it to mine down the line....
I'm a purist when it comes to Tommy. Except for a couple of tracks, the original Who Tommy songs just sound 'dirgy' and dreary to my ears. And this comes from a Who fan. I saw/heard video of a Tommy with the original versions used and thought it sounded horrible. Sometimes changing something because you can isn't always a good idea.

I'm a purist when it comes to Tommy. Except for a couple of tracks, the original Who Tommy songs just sound 'dirgy' and dreary to my ears. And this comes from a Who fan. I saw/heard video of a Tommy with the original versions used and thought it sounded horrible. Sometimes changing something because you can isn't always a good idea.
Fair point sarge, I haven't investigated it that far yet, I'll probably do it, discover you're right and then swap the pinsound into something else, that's the cool thing that it can dance from pin to pin, the circuit board equivalent of the town bike :D

I had a few games on @Archyta5 T2 machine this evening which now has the Pinsound board fitted. I was impressed how good it sounded with better bass, even with the original speakers.

Like a ColorDMD, the board can be transferred between games and put into another machine with different software if you ever move the game on.

Yeah, i think i'll wait a while for that upgrade....lol. Unless we can get a group buy on a load?

Does it cost that much more to make these this year? I know the pound is garbage right now but come on.
I'd be in on a group buy for these if the discount was worth it.
I emailed them and asked why the price increase and then the price slash to the same price.

What gets me was i wanted to buy in Euros (when the exchange rate was more favourable) - Nope - Have to stick with their "fixed" uk price.... :(

What gets me was i wanted to buy in Euros (when the exchange rate was more favourable) - Nope - Have to stick with their "fixed" uk price.... :(
I'd say if we had enough of us they'd give us some sort of group discount. Would be alot of money to pass up

Back
Top Bottom