What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinsound - Still Worth It?

Sam C

Site Supporter
Alias
Archy
I know a few people on this forum have installed Pinsound boards in their machines, I'm looking at doing this as well for my T2, mainly to put in the re-orchestrated music version. Now at £240 this is not a cheap board (but then again, replacement boards are always expensive) and I'm a little miffed because it seems that Pinsound were sued or served some sort of injunction recently and had to remove all re-orchestrations from their website, luckily I downloaded the one I wanted months ago in case this sort of thing happened, but it is a hell of a gamble considering this still. I was also considering ordering the flipper fidelity speakers made specifically to work with this board.

Just looking for some advice from anyone who has experience with this hardware and if it is worth the upgrade! The only thing that has now put me on the fence is the fact that the re-orchastrated sounds are gone from their site, and also having emailed them asking if the board will work with profanity roms or if I have to put the original ones back in (no problem) and getting no reply, I'm wondering what their support is like. I don't want to order this board and find that there is an issue and get stuck with a £240 paperweight!

Thanks Andy, that is good to know - I may have been blind but I just couldn't see the forum link on their website anymore!

The tracks i heard from Wh2o - the remastered one - sounded amazing!

not available (and unclear if they will ever be!) :(

The tracks i heard from Wh2o - the remastered one - sounded amazing!

not available (and unclear if they will ever be!) :(

Yeah I saw that, same guy who did the T2 one. Shame PPS stepped in and told him to stop but they do hold the rights to Bally/Williams stuff. Hard to know who to root for, PPS kind of came off as the bad guys but all they are doing is protecting their IP.

I have one in my road show and love it.
If I had the $$$ i would have them in all my pins.
Plan on getting one for my Wh20 because according to the guy the remaster will come

the way i saw it, the individuals were enhancing PPS' IP, however, horses for courses i bet.

Shame, since IMO there's no huge need for a £240 board without the improved sound files...

One other thing i did note - I asked if i could pay in Euros (299) since it's cheaper(£210), however they would only accept in £ from the UK, which is £240

Profiteering comes to mind... :mad:

I might need to ask on the forum and see how long it takes for them to ban me... :rolleyes:

Shame, since IMO there's no huge need for a £240 board without the improved sound files...

Some people said the audio was crisper in some cases (e.g. they could put in uncompressed versions of the original soundtracks which sound better) but honestly I'm with you on this, £240 is a lot to spend for audio that is the same but sounds a bit better. I'd put a re-orchastration in mine which is still available.

Think I will end up taking the plunge next month and give it a go, everyone seems to say it is worth it!

Last edited:
Not quite sure how they got the 'uncompressed' versions of the OSTs. AFAIK the best they can do is use MAME to dump the sounds from the original ROM, which wouldn't give any great increase in quality, seeing that "Quality comes from the source of the stream" and all that.

Not quite sure myself, this was something I read on pinside and it was a case where the original composer of the audio had provided uploads of the full files.

Got one in my RoadShow and I love it. Great to be able to put different sound call outs in - so when you get an extra ball you can alternate between the ones from RS, TAF, TZ for example. Is that worth £240? It may or not be to you... What's nice is that, like the ColorDMD, you can move it around from machine to machine if you have more than one.

Does Pinsound come with a better onboard amp?

Just fitted an external Sub on Tron and nearly shat myself with excitement, thus my audio amplification related question.

PinSound had a few machines at the Pinball Party when I went yesterday. The standout was Terminator 2 IMO - they replaced the cheesy default music with the film score as well as some punchier gun shot samples and it simply sounds incredible.

They need to wort the price tho really... especially the differential between euro and £££

Can't wait to stick one of these in my guns and roses... Just sounds like it's gonna be so much fun adding your own tunes and even adding random crazy stuff into the game, I am hoping it's easy as I am pretty terrible at computer related stuff

Can't wait to stick one of these in my guns and roses... Just sounds like it's gonna be so much fun adding your own tunes and even adding random crazy stuff into the game, I am hoping it's easy as I am pretty terrible at computer related stuff
What ? You going to have it that long ?

Two hallowed spaces now filled dazza, only two left... It's not going anywhere :)
Same as my HS2

I wonder what's going to fill the other two spaces ???
You have had most machines so what's filling the spaces ? Something new of a old flame ?

As soon as it was announced I bagged #421 as in LV421 but after the predator **** I backed out.... I don't think this will be like that and am confident alien will get built , but now after loosing all that cash on pred will never pre order anything again.

I am hoping it's easy as I am pretty terrible at computer related stuff

Should be fairly easy - you can just download the original sounds then pop them on a USB stick or swap in new ones.

£239..... or €299... (which works out at £225 - And i have mailed and they will NOT reduce the uk price to match...)

Can you not just put 299e into your PayPal and pay what ever way you want?

Nope - as if you connect from the UK you only get the UK price - you have to go via a proxy to see the european..... hmm... saying that, why not do it that way!

Ohh thats 14 reasons more attractive :D

Back
Top Bottom