What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinroom, raising the floor advice. - flooring type too?

How often are you moving pins in and out would be the first question i'd ask myself. If it's only a couple of times a year save all the heartache and make yourself a ramp out of wood.

A ramp won't work because when the room has pins set up you'll be rolling down into a pin. There's only just enough room for a tombstoned pin to be taken off the sack truck and turned around to go to its spot.
I think a ramp would have to be really short and steep and still wouldn't have enough room without risk of it rolling into a set up pin😔

Whether you raise the floor or not, it's not going to give you enough room to get a tombstoned pin past there or shut the door?

The room fits 7 along the back wall and until Pinfest I had 7 in there, all set up. I can get them in and out tombstoned. The issue is the drop from both doors which makes it hard without help and no offense to Claire but 9/10 when I ask her to help get one down the step by taking the weight, it ends up dropping or one wheel of the truck drops a millisecond before the other meaning the truck goes at an angle and the pin can tilt and hit the door frame.

Plus the temporary step is ugly as hell.

If it's just for in & out, how about one of those hydraulic lift tables. Have the pin on it with the front to the handle on the upper level, then tilt into the tombstone position on the lower level. Just need someone to hold the truck steady & be careful it doesn't slip too much on the way down - you aren't supporting the full weight to do that.

Got one quote....
Screenshot_20220914_101713.jpg

Let's play a game... How much do you think?
Closest guess gets free entry to our next event 😂 if you're coming....

Answer after 1700 if I remember.

Last edited:
I think our garage conversion was 12-13k all in but wasn’t the cheapest of the quotes. This seems a little less work as we did have electrics, plumbing, stud walls and knock through and support to main house, so 8-9k maybe?

You can probably save quite a bit doing the painting. My mum had a quote to paint her hallway, stairway and landing for just under £2k. When we had our garage done I think the painting took about 3 days work with all the wood too so it adds more cost than you think.

I think our garage conversion was 12-13k all in but wasn’t the cheapest of the quotes. This seems a little less work as we did have electrics, plumbing, stud walls and knock through and support to main house, so 8-9k maybe?

You can probably save quite a bit doing the painting. My mum had a quote to paint her hallway, stairway and landing for just under £2k. When we had our garage done I think the painting took about 3 days work with all the wood too so it adds more cost than you think.
I’m probably under estimating those extras probably more like 7-8k. How many guesses with 1k ranges do I get 😂

Assuming an 18m2 room and including all materials, I'm going for £9170 - or £10k if it's a fixed price bid.

@David_Vi your getting this all wrong, work on a high estimate and anything less you can :cough: invest the balance into another machine(s)! When my games room was built it came under budget by 1 Dailed In and 1 Wonka, think there then effectively free 🤔

Chris.

£4740.00 was the quote plus VAT. Were all the high guesses just to make me feel better or attempts at being realistic? As I was surprised...
Is the quote worrying low ?

@Ashbo was closest !

£4740.00 was the quote plus VAT. Were all the high guesses just to make me feel better or attempts at being realistic? As I was surprised...

@Ashbo was closest !
My guess was an attempt at realism. Does that price include the uPVC window and the floor tiles?

My guess was an attempt at realism. Does that price include the uPVC window and the floor tiles?
It reads like it does.
I'm still undecided on flooring but carpet tiles seem the best if not low pile carpet .

@Ashbo was closest !
East Anglian prices, quote assumes work will be started soon and finished at some point in the future, half payment up front ;)

Remember a couple of years ago waiting for the concrete to set in our utility room floor, after three weeks was still wet. Builder nowhere to be seen. Got a second opinion to find it was 10 parts sand, 1 part ballast, half a bad of cement. Dug it out in 20 mins and did it with my dad in a day for half the price. Never saw builder again

Get three quotes, get anything that can be taken multiple ways clarified and in writing.

Reactions: JT.
It reads like it does.
Yeah, that's what I thought, but there's a big variation in the cost of both - carpet tiles can be anywhere from say £10-£55 per square metre, and windows vary depending on individual window configuration within the overall frame, type of glass, decoration on the glass (e.g. leaded effect) and brand/quality of the actual frame itself, so I'd at a minimum be looking for some clarification on those points.

Also, is this a fixed price that they will stick to even if their material costs increase or they hit snags, or a rough estimate which might change over time? I'd expect the former to cost you at least 10% more than the latter to cover their risk, but it would give you peace of mind that the cost is fixed.

Back
Top Bottom