What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinburgh gone :(

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
ReplayFX have announced they are shutting down. the worst news for pinball ever. So thankful to have gone and so sad that it won't happen again. This ****ing virus and the idiots who make it worse are really on my **** list now.

Neil.

There is a similar company in the uk cakes repay events..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly it is affecting things for all of us.

I would imagine 99% or more of the members on this site would not go to this event (just a complete guess on the percentage).

Having watched a lot of footage online about this event it was absolutely enormous.

Maybe within the UK (in better times) something like this should happen over here. No disrespect to big Phil, I know what went into the old pinfests that happened in Villa park about 15 years ago, but some team needs to do an event like this to cover all those basses.

I have a pal who organises the UK guitar show in birmingham, I do not know if it would be worth contacting him...

PS - I am not volunteering to organise an event. But perhaps BT needs to sponsor something like this Neil ?

Event and event space is a no brainer.

Getting 400 machines harder.

Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So as I understand this, they are selling off all of the games at the PAPA facility. Meaning no PAPATV Live and essentially no assets for Pinburgh to be held with.

“While the Foundation is not dissolving, we are liquidating most of our physical assets and cancelling all of our public events. Over the coming months, the Foundation will retire all of its debts, including the refund of prepaid tickets, and will exist solely as an online resource for the foreseeable future.”

None taken, Pick. As Neil says, it's donations and attendance that have a big say in the venue needed. If we received more donations, I'd gladly look for a bigger venue. But as it is, Davntry size is currently ample enough.

You just can't help some people. There's no reason whatsoever that this should have achieved pandemic status tbh, But that's just how dumb people are, as a group.

I forgot to add, as most of you know, the events I put on are a passion. They're not run as a business so the lack of events this year hasn't affected me at all. Quite frankly, it's been more of a well deserved break even though I've sorely missed them :rofl:

I work full time and thankfully, still employed.

None taken, Pick. As Neil says, it's donations and attendance that have a big say in the venue needed. If we received more donations, I'd gladly look for a bigger venue. But as it is, Davntry size is currently ample enough.
Hello Phil,

My statement is just not to have a massive pinball competition. Families are not really interested in that.

Look what was offered:

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 19.44.16.png

Pitsburgh is not just about pinball - retro computing, computer games, arcade games, cosplay, beer.

Not once did I say 400 pinballs in a room.

May be worth opening the doors abit to the UKAV people.

If live music was asked for, I would be happy to organise that side of a show.

ReplayFX have announced they are shutting down. the worst news for pinball ever. So thankful to have gone and so sad that it won't happen again. This ****ing virus and the idiots who make it worse are really on my **** list now.

Neil.
Noooo! 😢Hopefully INDISC will prosper in the future and other big tourneys

I'm at a loss with this news. Someone on Tilt forum said they felt like someone died, and I can relate to that.

I don't want to get all 'you had to be there maaan' about it, but there were no other events like this .. in the world. It's not just about the size of the event (which for sure was huge), it was the pilgrimage. We came from all over the world for this event, and to get over 1000+ pinball nerds together for a social event like that was an amazing thing.

Gutted.

On a tangent - @Pick Holder - did you never come to the Play Expo events we ran in Manchester? That was a 'Replay FX' like event, and was running for a few years before they copied our format :p (and then made it a million times bigger and better)

On a tangent - @Pick Holder - did you never come to the Play Expo events we ran in Manchester? That was a 'Replay FX' like event, and was running for a few years before they copied our format :p (and then made it a million times bigger and better)

no disrespect but play expo was (thankfully) nothing like a replay fx event.

Neil.

In what regard Neil? It spanned pinball, arcade, retro gaming, cosplay, board games, trading stalls, talks. That's all the things Pick Holder was suggesting UK events were missing

I admit it was nowhere near the scale and expertise (and no live music in the evening), but the broad concept was entirely similar.

I was thinking about this, with all the money flowing around in this hobby. How long before a Kickstarter or similar comes into play. If it were down to the Replay FX tickets not being in place that’s how much money? What could be their overheads? They have the PAPA facility? Say there’s a years worth of that overhead? The element that worries me is the need to liquidise their assets to offset the current debts, if they had 400 games at $2,000 a pop, that’s $800,000 of debts to be paid... maybe making it unreachable.

Sorry to hear this. was planning to go in the future as Clare has relatives in Pittsburgh.

Oh well, at least we have Daventryburgh to look forward to. [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has to be the 2nd worse news iv heard all year and its been one ****e year to say the least. Im glad to have got there last year for my first and obv now last time, it was a truly magical experience. I thought they were being ambitious about trying to re plan it for 2021 but with all the talks of vaccinations etc I thought 2022 may have been possible. I have to say im anxious as to what the IFPA will do about the world championships also. The thought of getting back to shows and competitive play someday is one of very few things that keeps me going. Its heartbreaking news.

In what regard Neil? It spanned pinball, arcade, retro gaming, cosplay, board games, trading stalls, talks. That's all the things Pick Holder was suggesting UK events were missing

I admit it was nowhere near the scale and expertise (and no live music in the evening), but the broad concept was entirely similar.
But @Wizcat - things have moved on now. Pinball and retro gaming is 'trendy' and 'the in thing'. Comicon/cosplay events get massive attendance.

Most pinball shows I have been to is built around a competition event. Competitions are not for everyone, especially your average family.

A lof of people I talk to do not realise that pinball machine now is a 'home' thing - so doing an event with a wider net would get more people into the hobby.

Your average 'Joe' doesnt want to watch a talk from Mr Homepin or Jack.

If everyone is happy with Pinfest the way it is - that is absolutely 100% fine, Big Phil works hard. I would not dream on taking my knephews to Pinfest as they will be bored in an hour. Let alone take the wife!

The problem with these 'big event' dreams are always the same - if it was so easy then go ahead and run one. Make it happen.

You quickly learn why it wasn't done before.

But UKPinfest isn't a show built around a competition. The competition is built around the show. There's still 80+ pins available to play throughout the event. Only a very small percentage of those attending enter the comp. The talks are held in a separate room out of the way. Did you attend UKPinfest, @Pick Holder ? Would be interested in knowing what makes you feel that way.

Yeah I've obviously always enjoyed both Play Expo (Northern Lights) and Pinfest, but agree they cater for different audiences. I like that Pinfest is *the* pinball enthusiast show rather than a general joe public show. Similarly Play Expo is perfect for showcasing pinball to gaming nerds that might not have experienced it otherwise.

Within the pinball community we also have people that love competitions, and for them it's a key factor on whether they go to show x. If it's not your thing, that's fine too - it's really only a small part of the show.

Back
Top Bottom