Pinburgh gone :(

Pick Holder

Beta Tester
Jul 18, 2016
Bournville, Birmingham.
The problem with these 'big event' dreams are always the same - if it was so easy then go ahead and run one. Make it happen.

You quickly learn why it wasn't done before.
Let me take you back to the mid-naughties.... The days of Nick, Nik, Mr Squires, Stan the transport man, Poibug, and countless others who organised pinfests back then - so I think I am more than qualified to pass comment on this.

Straight 'pinball shows' only have so much pull, I never liked the show when it was done by Heighway. I walked out of it in about 20 minutes. Since then I have only attended Swavesey as it is a lot of the old gang.

I do not have the time to organise a show like this - but I have already offered my help in the music aspect to a show if you scroll up a little.

In no way have I knocked Big Phil's running of pinfest. I was trying to point out that shows that offer more things would be better for families and getting more people into the hobby.

PBrookfield

Resident Uneconomical Repair Representative
Mar 23, 2017
Wolverhampton, UK
Alias
Paul
I'm not talking about a pinball show, as you say I'm talking about something bigger and better.

The Retro Revival events and Play Expo events already cover that kind of a wide mix of 'everything plus pinball.' In fact it was a Retro Revival that basically brought me back into the hobby. (I believe it would have been your fault, @steve brum !)

They have decent attendance for what they do, in my opinion.

Going bigger than them is where it gets hard, and I'm saying it's easier to talk about going bigger and better, when we've had shows that are the size they are for a reason - and it's especially easier to think of, off the back of an emotive event like the loss of Pinburgh.

As Neil has said - it's a totally different league to hit the size of an American event, on the shores of the UK.

Benleigh250

Registered
Apr 21, 2019
London
I'm not talking about a pinball show, as you say I'm talking about something bigger and better.

The Retro Revival events and Play Expo events already cover that kind of a wide mix of 'everything plus pinball.' In fact it was a Retro Revival that basically brought me back into the hobby. (I believe it would have been your fault, @steve brum !)

They have decent attendance for what they do, in my opinion.

Going bigger than them is where it gets hard, and I'm saying it's easier to talk about it when we've had shows that are the size they are for a reason - and especially off the back of an emotive event (the loss of Pinburgh.)

As Neil has said - it's a totally different league to hit the size of an American event, on the shores of the UK.

Play expo do a great job which will hopefully return next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Phil

Site Supporter
Nov 24, 2011
County Durham
Alias
OTWBigPhil
NERG, Play Expo and Revival cover the whole gaming spectrum @pick

UKPinfest is purely pinball and is meant to be. It always has been in the past, hasn’t it?

Reactions: Paul

JMP

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2011
Lancashire
I've always got the impression it gets tougher each year for Phil and NLP, despite more and more pins coming into people's homes.

• Sad
Reactions: Fubar

johnwhitfield

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2011
new cross
Alias
John Whitfield
It’s getting a bigger ask for people to donate games as prices go up. Letting the general public bash away on a 2k game unsupervised is fine. Would anyone be willing to let their GnR CE be used?

Hats off to the organisers and everyone involved who make these things work.

PUP

Site Supporter
May 13, 2015
Southport
Reading it again im guessing no PAPA world championships anymore either 😥. Only IFPA ones are going to be left, I hope they survive!

Reactions: Neil McRae
OP
Neil McRae

Neil McRae

Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Surrey
playpinball.uk
Alias
Neil McRae
Its not on 2021 but will be 2022 assuming the virus is under control. I spoke to Karl about it this well. I'm definitely going to be there.

James

Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2017
Norwich
Alias
James
That’s not true James - spilling beer is never a problem because they can handle their beer ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wasn't it because the floor was wet too? I suppose in the USA though the floors would be wetter though.

I will never get to experience this and that is a disappointment.

RuyLopez

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2015
wiltshire
agree with the general sentiment expressed here ....it's very sad 😭 for Pinball that the Replay Foundation is finishing ... never made it to Pinburgh , However ,I am grateful to have made it to the PAPA HQ in Carnegie,Pittsburgh for 2 PAPAs 😀 , big gratitude to Kevin Martin (one of the most uncelebrated heroes of Pinball in my opinion) , Doug Polka , Pete Hendricks & all Replay & PAPA crew , memories that I will cherish forever ! ps , Iron Maiden playfield just fell on my head & I'm nursing a bleeding & cut head FFS :rolleyes:

Last edited: