What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball is a game of SKILL

Pinball is a great tool to sharpen your reactions and improve hand and eye coordination. However it offers so much more. Top players know the rules, study the actual pin, anticipate the bounce. As each machine is physical they all have slight variances.

Rules ....... more like knowing the table.... I’ve played junkyard and TOTAN loads of times but still find it difficult the rake in those top points. My high scores on those games are 7 mil junk yard 3 mil TOTAN - low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you see good pinball players playing, they often control the ball at every possible moment, compared to beginners who often flip every time the ball reaches the flippers.
As shot accuracy is usually higher from a controlled shot, it shows that skill is required.
Or you could say: The better you get, the more luck you appear to have.

Skillful timing, technique and yes some luck. For me it’s what makes it special, different each time and addictive - gives the tables a charisma and personality, sometimes even a mood.

I think you're all overestimating how much most of these people care. I'll struggle to get them to watch a 90 second video never mind get them to come to a league meet or watch a whole Bowen tutorial!

I think you're all overestimating how much most of these people care. I'll struggle to get them to watch a 90 second video never mind get them to come to a league meet or watch a whole Bowen tutorial!

Pinball isn’t for everyone though they don’t know what they are missing!! Let them be don’t waste your time with people who clearly are not interested

Well I'd just like to show these people that I'm not spending a lot of my spare time playing a game that's random. Makes me look like a crazy person!

You are not buddy! I play regularly enough to know that there is a small amount of luck Involved but there is skill involved too! Nail the basics and you’ll do well!

Tim. You are onto a loser. Non pinplayers simply don’t care. Even if the video was 10 seconds long they won’t watch it. You’re lucky they haven’t come out with “all pinballs are the same”

Tim. You are onto a loser. Non pinplayers simply don’t care. Even if the video was 10 seconds long they won’t watch it. You’re lucky they haven’t come out with “all pinballs are the same”

Hi john, agree there are some people who are not bothered and/or dis interested in the past time of pinball!

Hi john, agree there are some people who are not bothered and/or dis interested in the past time of pinball!

*Some* people?? [emoji23]...... *most*!!

Out of all the non pinheads family and friends that have been and played my collection over the years.... only a very few actually want to play pinball again on repeat visits. It's like they have seen my toys, humored me by having a game, but that's the extent of the interest.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

*Some* people?? [emoji23]...... *most*!!

Out of all the non pinheads family and friends that have been and played my collection over the years.... only a very few actually want to play pinball again on repeat visits. It's like they have seen my toys, humored me by having a game, but that's the extent of the interest.

Oh dear....... be thankful you have flip out plus your home collection, which I look forward to experiencing! What games do you have John?

Oh dear....... be thankful you have flip out plus your home collection, which I look forward to experiencing! What games do you have John?

Err... I'm not John

@johnwhitfield is John [emoji16]

I have pinhead friends who come play my games..... but pinheads are a rare breed in the general populace.

You only have to see a pinball machine being ignored in a busy pub. Most people really couldn't give a flying one about knocking a small ball around [emoji23]

Err... I'm not John

@johnwhitfield is John [emoji16]

I have pinhead friends who come play my games..... but pinheads are a rare breed in the general populace.

You only have to see a pinball machine being ignored in a busy pub. Most people really couldn't give a flying one about knocking a small ball around [emoji23]

Sorry!!! Who are you then? A lone pinball game gets zero attention! Want a good selection head for @tilt Birmingham or @cheif coffee for a decent selection.

Sorry!!! Who are you then? A lone pinball game gets zero attention! Want a good selection head for @tilt Birmingham or @cheif coffee for a decent selection.

Can’t seem to tag people

Tim. Just get some new friends and leave it, they are not worth it.

It could also be argued that there is no luck whatsoever in pinball.

IF you make every shot you aim for (which is pure skill) you could never have the ball out of control. Certain machines you even can get to MB without ever losing control of the ball (SM, SS, WPT, LOTR, I500, WH20, T3, CP, ST, DM, TAV, WCS)

If you add the skill of live catching 100% of the time (which again is pure skill) you can add almost any game (from the modern era) into the mix.

Then add in dead bounce, post transfer, nudging, slide saves, death saves etc. and IF someone was able to not only execute these every time, but more importantly know when to use which skill at what time and that's when it is purely about skill.

I'm often asked when talking to noobs "but how do you save a ball that's going straight down the middle?" Paraphrasing Bowen, when he has been asked the same question "Don't let the ball get there in the first place". Basically meaning that if you hadn't made a poor shot just prior you wouldn't be in that situation.

It was Gary Player who first said "The harder I practice the luckier I get".

Luck has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom