What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball is a game of SKILL

yellowreggae

Registered
Alias
Tim Thornton
I'm sick of some of my friends and work colleagues insisting that pinball is just random. Is there a good short youtube video that shows a quick overview of all or some of the skills that top players deploy?

Basically I'm sick of having to explain verbally and it's actually quite difficult without having a machine in front of you so sending them a link to a video would be so much easier.

I'm sick of some of my friends and work colleagues insisting that pinball is just random. Is there a good short youtube video that shows a quick overview of all or some of the skills that top players deploy?

Papa how to play videos maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You need to get your mates to play against the top uk players.
That should convince them its more than just luck and randomness.

I'd love to make a video myself describing and illustrating the elements that make pinball a game of skill. As usual I can't be ****d and don't really know how to edit video though. I'm sure there's some good ones out there already. If you know any link us up here!

Actually my brother is really good at editing...

I'd love to make a video myself describing and illustrating the elements that make pinball a game of skill. As usual I can't be ****d and don't really know how to edit video though. I'm sure there's some good ones out there already. If you know any link us up here!

Actually my brother is really good at editing...

Dood come round to the World Famous Domino Arcade and let’s do a video!

Tough one to explain, I have this all the time as most of the people I work with are early 20s and have never seen a pinball.

Find somewhere local that has a machine, get them to play it. Then find a tutorial video on YouTube for said machine and relish in the look on their faces as they realise how bad they were at it.

Basically I'm sick of having to explain verbally and it's actually quite difficult without having a machine in front of you so sending them a link to a video would be so much easier.
If you have your own pins why not take one into work and arrange a wee charity comp, winner get a small percentage and charity gets the rest! Everyone is a winner.

I'd be up for that Neil.

I think there are a few key points I want to make and the video would have to be very short and to the point because otherwise theyre not going to watch it. I reckon it could be done in 3 minutes.

Cheers Chef! I was looking at some of Jack's vids. He's good at explaining to noobs.

Tough one to explain, I have this all the time as most of the people I work with are early 20s and have never seen a pinball.

Find somewhere local that has a machine, get them to play it. Then find a tutorial video on YouTube for said machine and relish in the look on their faces as they realise how bad they were at it.

Show them how good you are at it too! Videos only get you so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@yellowreggae Tim, best way is to ask them to pay against you for 10 games. If they win more than 5 you give them £500 if they don't, they give you £100.

Easy money. Tell them it's just down to luck afterall so they're getting good odds.

Skill is involved but so is a element of luck.
Ive seen top players crash out when luck is against them. But when a skilful player plays well and luck is in your favor then thats when the magic is creatated.
I watched Andy Foster at This year's Play expo Manchester on the high score mchine, Creature from the Black Lagoon score 5 billion plus . With a super jackpot of 1.2 billion followed by another super jp of 1.6 billion . It was magic to watch.

There's very little luck in it.

Skilled players having a 'bad' run of games and crashing out are due to sports psychology - you can be in the snake pit just as much as in the zone - and because there are so many situations to be in, it's impossible to be familiar with all of them and be prepared for all of them.

The most significant major variable - machine condition - is usually controlled for by having long periods of familiarisation prior to important games. And of course, equalised by all players using the same machine.

Come on, to say there is ‘very little luck’ is incorrect. We have all had those games (well at least I hope it isn’t just me), where the ball drains without any player input. There is a degree of luck and fortune in everything, and pinball is no exception!

However, skilled players ride this out and, again like most games and sports, it’s ultimately a game if skill.

'Dood come round to the World Famous Domino Arcade and let’s do a video"

Hey Neil, wheres my invite?

You’re a freaking card carrying member mate!!! :)

Come on, to say there is ‘very little luck’ is incorrect. We have all had those games (well at least I hope it isn’t just me), where the ball drains without any player input. There is a degree of luck and fortune in everything, and pinball is no exception!

However, skilled players ride this out and, again like most games and sports, it’s ultimately a game if skill.

If you watch some of the videos of the papa or Pinburgh finals you’ll see that luck is only an element if you hit a shot that’s marginal or at ball launch time. I have no doubt that if you are precise with your shots luck is a tiny influence in it. We all benefit and loose from luck because we are imprecise.

If you watch some of the videos of the papa or Pinburgh finals you’ll see that luck is only an element if you hit a shot that’s marginal or at ball launch time. I have no doubt that if you are precise with your shots luck is a tiny influence in it. We all benefit and loose from luck because we are imprecise.

That's basically what I said, that in most sports or games, the better players are influenced or impacted less by luck. An example would be playing Rory at golf, I could hit a hole in one on Hole 1 and be ahead (that would be luckily if you have seen me play), however over 18 holes, he would wipe the floor with me.

The original post asked if pinball was all luck, which I agree it's not, but there are also a fair element of luck / fortune (whatever you want to call it).

Pinball is a great tool to sharpen your reactions and improve hand and eye coordination. However it offers so much more. Top players know the rules, study the actual pin, anticipate the bounce. As each machine is physical they all have slight variances.

You disagree but you come around to agree with me in the end - if a skilled player can play around a factor then it wasn't truly a luck-based factor. Just a more chaotic, dynamic factor that required a greater level of skill to account for during play.

I stand by saying there's very little luck - what is true and that I can agree with, is that the skill ceiling in pinball is stratospheric. With games of any kind with such a high skill ceiling - video games included, one I would suggest and have personally attempted to play at top level is Rainbow Six: Siege, another more common, famous example is something such as DOTA2; and of course any physical sport people know and love - when lower-skill players partake, the dynamic factors don't just disappear, they become unaccounted for, uncontrolled - and this is referred to (fairly) as luck.

@yellowreggae Tim, best way is to ask them to pay against you for 10 games. If they win more than 5 you give them £500 if they don't, they give you £100.

Easy money. Tell them it's just down to luck afterall so they're getting good odds.

Better still send them to flip out on a Thursday night to compete in the league with no prior training! Us regulars will have the upper hand! Www.flipoutlondon.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom