What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Longer Available PIN2DMD - 3rd round Group Buy Due Sept 5th 2020

Really thick question but can anyone advise which is the 12 and which is the ground on the blue and grey wires.

I put the clip on the Pin2dmd board to check as it is quite clear on what is negative and positive. Then took the positive wire colour and connected that to the positive on the machine.
I doubled checked and found I had messed it up and re-pinned the molex. The key is to double check :)

Thanks guys, everything is wired up correctly to J116 connector and guess what - no power to the DMD!! Banzaipinball has been really helpful trying to assist a technophobe get it sorted but still no joy!

Check the wiring and then check the 12v fuse on the power driver board. I can confess to not double checking on one machine and blowing the fuse.

All is sorted. It seems I blew F116 fuse, replaced it and it powered up - and the display on the Roadshow looks fantastic even though its a wip Beta version.

HI
I keep buying these off people as I think they are great but the latest one has a lot of noise when I put it in my Whitewater.
It seems to show it's boot up fine and I have reseated the data cable from the video board. Any other thoughts on what it could be?
There is no colour map on this.

IMG_0245.JPG

Looks like a ribbon cable issue to me, have you tried swapping the cable with a different machine?

Not yet. I can get easily into WH2O with my dodgy leg so I had a cheeky go but the other are full of stuff. Let me plan this better.

OK, I swapped the cable over, no difference, I then swapped the display over and it glitches in the other machine.
I also used a known good power cable so I have eliminated the display and power cables
What can I check on the actual display?

IMG_5337.JPG

@Calimori there are two displays on each Pin2DMD. The first one plugs directly into the board, the second one is connected to the first via a ribbon cable. I'd be checking these two connection points next.

The displays will be fixed to the evo board via screws, I think @MadNat used star/torx screws so time to dig out that tool from the bottom of the box!

Armed with the knowledge that @stumblor is a technical wizard and I have a suitable star/torx screw driver, I took it apart.
One side is indeed held in by only the screws, you can see a data cable piggy backing off one into the other and a power cable from the main board. Once taken apart, it is clear both screens are identical and have two data ports, one to feed and one to piggy back to the other one.
The main screen data input is a hard output from the main board and it comes off with a even tug.
I swapped over the two screens in case there was an issue with one and put the secondary screen in the primary place. Then connected up the piggy back data cable and the power cables and screwed it all back up.

IMG_9577.JPG

Awesome, no lines in one screen. Erm, nothing in the secondary.
Reseated the cable from the back and voila.
IMG_2314.JPG

Nice, now to buy a colour file.
Thanks @stumblor for making me do it.

Just to say - FishTales has had a new version released by NetzZwerg

I dare say you go to the original place you grabbed it from to get the update - or contact him directly.
Thanks Phil - will update mine today... dare say there are loads of scenes on here I've never seen... basically because I'm crap!

Quick update for PIN2DMD owners... Lucky released V3.18 of the firmware yesterday.

You can download the binary here:

Download the version for your display (standard and skinny = EVO128x16_EVO128x32 or XL = EVO192x64)
Remove the SD card from your display
Copy the downloaded PIN2DMD.upd file to your SD card
Pop the SD card back into your display
Power up your display
You should see “UPDATE” display briefly.
That’s it

It’s not a mandatory update... so if it ain’t broke - no need to fix it.

Can anyone advise where to take power from on a Stern Whitestar, and which connectors to use on the Pin2DMD board please?

I am guessing that it's the "Sam" connector on the top (Gnd, Gnd, 5v,5v).... however not sure where the best place to take this is from?? Does it come from the whitestar board, or elsewhere??

Thanks for any pointers!!

I would just go from those 12v points into the wpc 12v input on the pin2dmd. 12v is 12v right, it's only the amperage that needs to be high enough.

They can power up on the bench in the same way.

Unless I'm missing something.

Okay - the displays which take the current run on 5v as does most the electronics.

The first thing it goes into when you use 12v is a 12v - 5v regulator.

On a WPC using the 5v is not advised due to the current these LED panels use. You will probably have rebooting issues.

On a lot of WPC games I just run in a new PSU for the pin2dmd as the boardset is not really made to take up to 5a at either 12v or 5v

These ones to be exact:

Okay - the displays which take the current run on 5v as does most the electronics.

The first thing it goes into when you use 12v is a 12v - 5v regulator.

On a WPC using the 5v is not advised due to the current these LED panels use. You will probably have rebooting issues.

On a lot of WPC games I just run in a new PSU for the pin2dmd as the boardset is not really made to take up to 5a at either 12v or 5v

These ones to be exact:

[/URL][/URL]

Thanks mate - Another Amazon order made ;) :rofl:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom