What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Party / UK Open Poll

Phil Dixon' date=' post: 1678471 said:
I think it's competitions gone mad, way too many.

There's only 1 major event per day (and the team event is just for fun), plus the League finals. I'm not sure that's "way too many". ;-)

We build it, and they come!

3) Only put machines in the open that are duplicated out on the floor

Several machines only get brought to the show if they're used in tournaments. The owners don't want them on general use. Getting hold of machines in the first place for tournaments, let alone duplicates, is hard enough.

5) Ditch the stupid "buy your finals place" Classic and make it a proper compo

It's a good point, the Classics grew out of the old Hi-Score competition, which in itself was superceeded by a "proper compo" i.e. the Open. I know what you mean about buying your way into the finals, which is what happens in many of the "Open" tournaments in the USA. I don't like that. Trouble is, a proper compo would have all the same players in the final as the Open anyway, I don't think that happens in the Classics the way it is now, so there are advantages. However, it's good to hear people's views either way.

Oh, whilst we are at it, the league final should be of the games: 2EM, 2SS, 2DM. They should be drawn at random from the available pool of machines.

I'd buy that for a dollar. If you said that to some of the Europeans, they'd look at you as if you'd gone mad. Some of them think it should be dot-matrix only, which I think is a real shame. Trouble is, though, getting tournament-reliable EMs is not that easy.

I'd buy that for a dollar. If you said that to some of the Europeans, they'd look at you as if you'd gone mad. Some of them think it should be dot-matrix only, which I think is a real shame. Trouble is, though, getting tournament-reliable EMs is not that easy.

The EPC at Le Treport this year certainly had a mix of EM SS and DM.

Thats one of the good things about the U.K. comp machines, all are in great condition.
smile-1.png
:)
smile-1.png
:) A credit to the owners.
biggrin-1.png

Actually the EPC comp machines (a mix of EM, SS and DM) were all in excellent shape (although a couple were flagging after 2 to 3 days of continuous use), only the public play areas were in the usual poor state. I have my suspicions that is more to do with private machines being used for comps and that many of the ropey ones in the public area are operator supplied (pull straight from site at a guess)! :eek:

nah mate, o the machines I played ,all had something wrong with them. TSPP garage door was fooked and STtNG kept on re-setting. I had to fix it before I could play it..:confused:

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of the TSPP problem and now you mention it I do remember the STtNG being looked at. However that is no different to machines being looked at/replaced for the UK comp. I came a cropper to a faulty HS2 supercharger, not once or twice but three times in the UK comp....

I think it's competitions gone mad, way too many.

1) Ditch the team tourny Friday night as it's too much to set up all of the show and then have a tourny.

2) Hold the league final Friday night if we have to, or better still, remove it and hold it at Swavesey on the Saturday (move league finish date to suit)

3) Only put machines in the open that are duplicated out on the floor

4) turn them round (as Andy says) so people can see what's going on and they can be involved better as spectators

5) Ditch the stupid "buy your finals place" Classic and make it a proper compo

Oh, whilst we are at it, the league final should be of the games: 2EM, 2SS, 2DM. They should be drawn at random from the available pool of machines.

I think competitions are important and add value, but agree with Phil that there were too many. It's notable also how much of the pinballnews coverage of UKPP was competition results. I was deeply frustrated at not being able to play some key machines because they were tournament only, and saw a small number of people basically hogging machines IMO. I think a balance needs to be restored so ordinary folks like me can, well, have a go too.

Jo.

bartron' date=' post: 1678568 said:
yes and they were all in pretty poor repair:mad:

That's not fair, I saw at least one Frenchman with an oily rag giving the playfield a good wipe over.

If it is kept the way it is now I would say ditch it

If it is changed slightly-mainly what Phil said,would be better IMHO

Back
Top Bottom