What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Pacman Aggressive - A return to an old friend

Jim. It might be worth you having a word with Matt Addams. He used Pinball Pimp stencils on my Fathom. They are very sticky

So time to think about some colours for the cabinet.

I like this range of paints.

1460059282Montana_Gold_Colour_Chart copy.jpg

Satin finish. Need to experiment i think with the best blue for the base colour. I think it will be somewhere between blue magic and signal blue or possibly shock blue

Thinking of a more magenta tone for the 'pink' layer, possibly cherry blossom or maybe a more red tone with raspberry perhaps. The yellow layer is pretty straight forward.

Made some good progress on my new controller cpu board, so i'm starting a strip down of the playfield shortly. Am hoping i may get time to do the cabinet this year but not 100% sure yet. Pacman's been testing new sounds boards for a year since the last update!

IMG_4023.JPG

Made some good progress on my new controller cpu board, so i'm starting a strip down of the playfield shortly. Am hoping i may get time to do the cabinet this year but not 100% sure yet. Pacman's been testing new sounds boards for a year since the last update!

View attachment 87285

wow what is this? A complete controller? what job does the raspberry pi do? and all the other little micro controllers dotted around?

wow what is this? A complete controller? what job does the raspberry pi do? and all the other little micro controllers dotted around?

It is an update to the system i created back in 2015. This version allows new game code to be written using python and pyprocgame for bally and stern games. It is a direct replacement for the old cpu board and interfaces will all other original pcbs. You can use the original sound board for use the pygame music and sound options for modern sounds. It also unlocks a few extra options for the original driver hardware.

Still in development, but i am working on a new version of pacman, which will include multiball and other new mode features

It is an update to the system i created back in 2015. This version allows new game code to be written using python and pyprocgame for bally and stern games. It is a direct replacement for the old cpu board and interfaces will all other original pcbs. You can use the original sound board for use the pygame music and sound options for modern sounds. It also unlocks a few extra options for the original driver hardware.

Still in development, but i am working on a new version of pacman, which will include multiball and other new mode features

I see, so the game code / audio all runs from the raspberry pi and the other little micro controllers are used for the more real time features like controlling coils/lamps? maybe switch inputs? Looks very interesting :)

I see, so the game code / audio all runs from the raspberry pi and the other little micro controllers are used for the more real time features like controlling coils/lamps? maybe switch inputs? Looks very interesting :)

rPi to run game code, teensy 3.5 is i/o controller that has its own firmware which handles switch inputs and outputs to driver boards (coils, lamps, sound, displays) . Displays are driven via a nano, as ports are at a premium.

Same design theory as my new board for indy jones that i've demoed at various pinball shows the last few years. Allows the replacement of the expensive proc board as the io controller.

rPi to run game code, teensy 3.5 is i/o controller that has its own firmware which handles switch inputs and outputs to driver boards (coils, lamps, sound, displays) . Displays are driven via a nano, as ports are at a premium.

Same design theory as my new board for indy jones that i've demoed at various pinball shows the last few years. Allows the replacement of the expensive proc board as the io controller.

Very cool, Have you ever thought about using a FPGA as they have large amount of IO and are literally designed to handle these types of events ie driving/reading lots of pins at the same time very very quickly. You could get away with just the raspberry pi + one big FPGA for the whole system. Only down side would be probably a bit more expensive / learning curve on using a FPGA. Just a thought :)

Very cool, Have you ever thought about using a FPGA as they have large amount of IO and are literally designed to handle these types of events ie driving/reading lots of pins at the same time very very quickly. You could get away with just the raspberry pi + one big FPGA for the whole system. Only down side would be probably a bit more expensive / learning curve on using a FPGA. Just a thought :)

Teenys and arduinos are perfect in so many ways. Big resources, low ish cost, c++ enabled, fairly future proof. I think fpgas are cool but I’m happy with my bag

Teenys and arduinos are perfect in so many ways. Big resources, low ish cost, c++ enabled, fairly future proof. I think fpgas are cool but I’m happy with my bag

Yeah i love FPGA's but getting your head around there weird language can drive you crazy :) And they are quite expensive :(

Yeah i love FPGA's but getting your head around there weird language can drive you crazy :) And they are quite expensive :(

C++ compatibility with arduino really opens it up to me. Only Microchip's range of PICs comes close

Removed my mylar last night. Messy job, but so worth it. Taking your time is essential. Interestingly this game was mylared during its life after some playfield damage had already occurred, so it wasn't that bad to get it off. Went even better than i thought and i didn't remove any paint really at all. Only a tiny amount near where previous damage had already occurred.

Before

IMG_4310.JPG

IMG_4270.JPG

Mylar removal

IMG_4311.JPG

Glue Removal
IMG_4312.JPG
IMG_4313.JPGIMG_4314.JPG

First look and ready for polishing and some touch ups.

IMG_4315.JPGfullsizeoutput_10b4.jpegIMG_4317.JPG

Are you using flour and IPA to get rid of the glue?

Not tried that method before, the flour and IPA worked quite well when i did BK2K.

Are you using flour and IPA to get rid of the glue?
Presumably IPA is different thing to the IPA I'm thinking of - unless the desired end result of mixing it with flour is the base of a nice light beer batter for the playfield :rofl:

Some more pics of underside reassembly progress. Had to wait for some parts from mr netherwood and best of pinball

Full coloured 555 bulb love going completed now to. NO leds here please.

IMG_4361.JPGIMG_4362.JPGIMG_4363.JPGIMG_4364.JPG

Looking good Jim! Got fond memories of this game at the Kursaal in Southend when I was a kid. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it

Underside playfield reassembly complete. Fitted a new led blue display for the maze info to. Thats most of the heavy work done

IMG_4412.JPGIMG_4413.JPGIMG_4414.JPGIMG_4415.JPG

. Tomorrow i start the upper playfield reassembly :) when i want a break from board assembly.

This arrived today, which i cant wait to install

IMG_4409.JPG

Also, a small point about bally flippers. These eos switches are bloody expensive!!! but they must be changed.

IMG_4411.JPG

@myPinballs - after looking at your RPi board I find it really weird that you do not make your own 'proc' style board system.
Surely you could do this....????

PROC boards are silly money. If you could make something for less you'd be laughing!

Just make sure it takes a Latte Panda so you can run windows and visual pinball (Vpinmame). So numptys like me could work easier with coding our own games.

Back
Top Bottom