What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Pacman Aggressive - A return to an old friend

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
So i'm starting another early 80s Bally repair and restoration. This time i'm going back to a game i've had many of during my life and also has special memories because this game was the first game my Dad ever bought (and sadly he's no longer with us) so it holds a lot of memories for me in many different ways.

Without that first Pacman game back in the late 80s arriving at our house, we probably would never and started down this road!!

One we get it up and running i'll be doing a full playfield strip along with a mylar removal, not sure quite yet how far i'll go on the underside as i've got a lot of other projects on the go but we will see, then if all goes well i fancy trying a full cabinet restencil in the summer. So on with the repair!

Arrvied yesterday.

IMG_1082.JPG IMG_1083.JPG

Ahh yes, the one i was after buying..

Like what? I am just stating a fact i was in the process of buying it and again you have bought it from under me just like with Indiana Jones.

Like what? I am just stating a fact i was in the process of buying it and again you have bought it from under me just like with Indiana Jones.

I have done NO Such thing. You had a chance to buy just like me and everyone else. Please stop blaming me for buying ‘your’ games . If you have a problem speak to the seller and leave me out of it.

Last edited:
Never once did i mention it was "my" games. I said i was in the process of buying it, and all of a sudden its sold. I should have known really..

What are you talking about? If you wanted the game then why didn’t you just pay the asking price and take it????

And why are you whinging at me??

Are we supposed to check With you first before buying any game on here in case you are ‘in the process of buying it’?

Get a grip please

What are you talking about? If you wanted the game then why didn’t you just pay the asking price and take it????

And why are you whinging at me??

Are we supposed to check With you first before buying any game on here in case you are ‘in the process of buying it’?

Get a grip please

I was waiting to see the status of the boards. It would seem the first come first served basis doesn't apply to certain people. I had also said in the main thread i was in the process of buying it as you clearly stated, so you must have known this already. A simple private message to me would have gone a long way..

As always a good shop log is getting ruined by bickering
Shaun you beef is not with Jim it’s with me and best done via pm but as you seem to want to shout about it then we will do it on here

1st you had the opportunity to buy it before I even listed it but you gave me a **** poor offer of £200
2nd after seeing pics you then offered £350
3rd you then ask can I reserve it so you can look at the boards and see if you can fix them
Reserve it mean nothing to me same as dibs pm sent and I am interested
Jim rang me in the day and wanted it and paid immediately the full asking price so it was out the door
You had every opportunity to buy it at the full price so you only have your self to blame not me or Jim

Chris, if you read correctly there was no bickering just a statement. It was Jim that's thrown his toys out of the pram.

So if reserving it meant nothing to you why didn't you say so in the first instance? But you kind of contradict your doctrine here as why would you post an advert like this:

Screenshot_2018-03-06-18-03-28.png

As we can clearly see Martin Yapp has first ''dibs'.

If you remember i had asked you about this since you collected them from Newcastle, before you had actually listed a for sale thread.

The **** poor offer you received was a low ball for a machine I hadn't even seen. You honestly expect me to go in with my best offer first?

As you well know I am a serious collector and not a tyre kicker or someone that will flog on for a profit. So my concern for the boards etc was justified.

Also no one is shouting.

Last edited:
So i'm starting another early 80s Bally repair and restoration. This time i'm going back to a game i've had many of during my life and also has special memories because this game was the first game my Dad ever bought (and sadly he's no longer with us) so it holds a lot of memories for me in many different ways.

Without that first Pacman game back in the late 80s arriving at our house, we probably would never and started down this road!!

One we get it up and running i'll be doing a full playfield strip along with a mylar removal, not sure quite yet how far i'll go on the underside as i've got a lot of other projects on the go but we will see, then if all goes well i fancy trying a full cabinet restencil in the summer. So on with the repair!

Arrvied yesterday.

View attachment 60591 View attachment 60592
Jim if you are going down the stencil route let me Known as I will be getting a stencil kit for my space invaders as I could order that at the same time :thumbs:

Chris, if you read correctly there was no bickering just a statement. It was Jim that's thrown his toys out of the pram.

So if reserving it meant nothing to you why didn't you say so in the first instance? But you kind of contradict your doctrine here as why would you post an advert like this:

View attachment 60612

If you remember i had asked you about this since you collected them from Newcastle, before you had actually listed a for sale thread.

The **** poor offer you received was a low ball for a machine I hadn't even seen. You honestly expect me to go in with my best offer first?

As you well know I am a serious collector and not a tyre kicker or someone that will flog on for a profit. So my concern for the boards etc was justified.

Also no one is shouting.

Sean 70% of stuff I buy without even seeing it as I did with the four I bought from fb
For every pinball I list coming in I have loads of people want dibs and and interested but when it comes to the crunch there is always an excuse 5 people wanted dibs on the last Lotr I sold yet I didn’t sell to one of those
If you really wanted it you could have bacs me the money straight away
When I have someone wanting to pay full up and collect same day then I can’t hold on for people to make up there mind

I thought Phil bought them, but anyways that is a moot point. I'd of driven down that night to pick up as I said could repair the boards, but you had just sold it prior pickup at the weekend I believe.

View attachment 60612

Also no one is shouting.
In fairness, I had contacted Chris weeks in advance of the sale thread, well before he picked it up...

First job of the day was a good inspection all round especially of the mains cable and plug. Noted no less than 6 cuts and exposed wire in the length!! plus the plug was a non shielded old type.

Job 1 cut that out and chuck it in the bin! Then replace with some nice new fresh 13A triple core cable and new plug

Pretty much every repair and restoration i start begins in the same way.

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg IMG_1099.jpg

A new line filter will also be fitted, as the old one has had quite a life and needs a rest! I'm waiting for my next order of line filters to arrive so will update on this once they are here. Anyone else who wants one for their game or for a spare let me know.

Speaking about the cabinet restencil i managed to find an area of the cabinet with some overspray that has been covered up for all these years so its nice to see what the magenta cabinet colour should look like.

Check the edge of the circle shown in the pic

IMG_1094.JPG

Next up a full clean of all backbox and playfield wiring. I think this is the best time to do this sort of thing, as otherwise you tend to lose interest in dull cleaning jobs, plus its much nicer when fixing a game and removing boards etc not have crusty dirty and dusty wiring. Plus you can see what the colour strands are much easier

IMG_1110.jpg

Then some fixes to a few wires that appeared to be cut. Stilll can't work out why this was done, it appears to make no sense whatsoever. Some were cut 6 inches from a connector that could easier be unplugged ???

IMG_1111.jpg IMG_1112.jpg IMG_1114.jpg IMG_1117.JPG

First job of the day was a good inspection all round especially of the mains cable and plug. Noted no less than 6 cuts and exposed wire in the length!! plus the plug was a non shielded old type.

Removed transformer and rectifier panel to perform a full rebuild. No point messing with old parts. Shot change of all rectifiers and diodes plus fuse clips
View attachment 60631

Hi Jim,

A few questions for the curious among us ;)

1. What's the difference between a "non shielded old type" plug and a "new one"?
  2. Are you sticking with the single fluorescent tube in the backbox? I'm thinking of going for a full loop of warm white LEDs on a strip as the fluorescent is ghastly and pale!
  3. Why didn't you replace R1-3 power resistors and VR1 varistor along with all the diodes and bridge rectifiers on the power board?
Great work as always, really am following this with interest as I'll being planting my footsteps right behind you with my M&MPM soon!

Next up fix the cpu board. I have a pile of these in various states and conditions, so i picked the best one i had and set to fixing it. Usual repairs, barebone it, upgrade the roms, rejumper, change the status led and see if its unlocked. If so put the chips back in order of flashes 1 by 1, if not get your logic probe out and start debugging why the cpu is crashed or still in reset

IMG_1149.JPG

I also always change the mounts at this point and with this game may aswell change the lamp board ones to, as this board will be out next. Guaranteed some lamp will be stuck on or off.

IMG_1145.JPG

Booted

IMG_1156.jpg IMG_1157.jpg IMG_1158.jpg

Back
Top Bottom