What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northern Flip Frenzy 2019

Just over a week to go now. If anyone here isn't sure of the address then please let me know. If you have the opportunity to car share, that would be appreciated due to the limited parking space.

Last edited:
Will use field for parking if dry enough, otherwise some may have to park on the straight part of Clay Gap Lane (before junction) and walk up to the house. Should be able to direct people anyway on arrival.

Looking forward to this weekend..

Coming from Haslingden area if anybody on route needs a lift...Just pm me and we can sort something out.

Cheers

Am still looking for a lift, now just a lift back home.
Hopefully someone can help!

Weather looking dry for Sunday :) but may rain today.... if so, the field may not be suitable for parking and cars will be parked on drive and central area instead, blocked in to maximise. If you need to leave early, you may be best parking on the straight section of Clay Gap Lane before the junction with Knitting Row Lane (presuming most will arrive via Hambleton village). Look out for pinball sign in hedge.

Anyone need the address PM me, see you Sunday. Cheers.

Couple of spots have opened up if any last minute interest? Send a pm for the address details if so, thanks.

Thanks everyone involved for an awesome day.

Thanks to @JMP for hosting. Brilliant selection of games. Me and the girls are now fully in the gottlieb appreciation society, I think I'm going to have to get an alien star and an excalibur at some point.

Thanks also to @Wizcat for running the comp. I'm not sure I could give up a day of playing pinball to sit in front of the laptop all day, but it all went really well, so hats off to you.

Cant wait for our next northern comp now!

Make sure your passport is still in date for the next one ;)

You’ll feel far better for the northern air

Yes, a fantastic day - thanks to John for hosting & Paul for arranging the comp (and fighting the tech to keep the thing on track). A great selection of machines - I'm gonna have to go back contracting 'cos I've got pinshed envy

Thank you to everyone at the pinball frenzy for making it such fun especially Paul for the organisation and John and Sharon for hosting and providing good food and refreshments [emoji3]. Colin and I have just arrived home and had a blast playing all the different machines .
0728ae513fc5d1a84d4d5807a86be4d9.jpg
98ef0bea9161eb8b565ae91249030b5d.jpg
7840eed5a012ae3ddbfba47caac757f0.jpg
498a00b6c61828e1e1b304dd2007bd63.jpg
87a09ae1e62a5975ab483dfd50fdb212.jpg
4eafc0a94cc07f06e72c6915bf11d7bc.jpg
7d6d4f07c25a5e45f4ab61bc5a607392.jpg
cadab0eb290aa7c24f7f4e9afda6cde4.jpg
8ad97e182a169f248603d78ed4f1d309.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great to see all our friends from near and a far, massive thanks to John + Sharron for hosting and Paul for organising everything and also sitting out playing in the comp to run everything so smoothly.

Thanks for organising it. Most of the machines I'd never seen or played before, so as predicted I was almost last. Great fun.

Brilliant comp again, big thanks to John for hosting, Sharon for the tasty food, Paul for running and everyone else who contributed. Great to see some new people taking part too!

Thanks to everyone that came, John and Sharon for their extremely generous hosting, and the many people that helped over the weekend with setup and repairs. Huge congrats to Tom as well for a really well deserved win. I'll get the website updated with the results and everything submitted to IFPA later today.

Seemed to have a nice bit of positive feedback, but if anyone has constructive comments about improving these events then I'm all ears. Another flip frenzy event possibly in the pipeline for next year.. but maybe we'll get winter out of the way first :)

I'll enjoy pouring over the statistics of who played who and so on later, but the most important stat is that £215 has been added to our fundraising pot, so again - thanks to everyone that made it along, and hope to see you at the next one! :)

Seemed to have a nice bit of positive feedback, but if anyone has constructive comments about improving these events then I'm all ears.

The software worked well for allocating games you hadn't played before. I played 25 matches, and this was split over 18 different machines. With 7 machines played twice, and non played 3 times. Not sure how other people compared with this, but I'm going to take a look anyway.

It didn't do as well with pairing against people you hadn't played against before, maybe it could be developed to pick a person from the queue you hadn't played before?

It might also help if more than one person could record the results, it would certainly help speed things up a bit, and help cut down on errors.

Overall a great day of pinball all round.

It didn't do as well with pairing against people you hadn't played against before, maybe it could be developed to pick a person from the queue you hadn't played before?
It didn't try to do that. You always play against the person at the front of the queue. It wouldn't be fair to pick from anywhere in the queue or the person at the front might end up waiting ages for someone they haven't played before to come through.

It didn't try to do that. You always play against the person at the front of the queue. It wouldn't be fair to pick from anywhere in the queue or the person at the front might end up waiting ages for someone they haven't played before to come through.
I know it didn't try and do that. That's why I suggested maybe it could be developed and built in.

It would sort itself out through the course of the competition and match people who hadn't played each other as many times, it may also help with the number of games people play being closer to each other.

Something like:
Once the queue reaches a length of 5 (or whatever)
Pair the player waiting longest with another person in the queue they've played the least - if 2 people fit the same criteria choose the person who has been waiting longest to pair with. It should be easily enough to program that as a rule.

If we're going to use a computer generated program, we may as well try and use the best logic available.

I've just started looking at the figures and Nick played Phoebe 5 times and Wayne Russell 4 times, he played less than half the people who were there. (I've only used Nick as an example as I'm working down the list in order of qualifying)

Yeah I've also been pulling the data into a spreadsheet, and comparing the opponent and game balancing. In summary I agree with you Wayne - I think the game balancing worked super well (and bear in mind that TOM and Victory were not used at all, and that Monte Carlo and Hollywood Heat (I think?) were only activated in the second round of qualifying)

Would be nice to have a better solution for balancing players more fairly too.

Last edited:
Without being judgemental about it, there is quite a difference between the opponents (as an example) that Garry faced (fairly strong on average) vs Wayne's opponents (weaker on average)

I was going to look at that as well, however it's possibly self-fulfilling as I played Garry 3 times and won all 3. Therefore by definition I had an easier opponent on 3 occasions because I finished higher at the end of qualification, but I only finished higher because I beat Garry 3 times.

I don't think that there will be a way to pair opponents based on current qualifying position, even if there was it would work to closing the bunch up by making guaranteeing a win to one of the 2 lowest ranked players, and also guaranteeing a loss to one of the top 2 ranked players.

An ideal scenario would be with the 25 players we had yesterday as an example, all 25 player played each of the other 24 players once. By using the rule I suggested above, I think that this is possible to getting very close to.

I was going to look at that as well, however it's possibly self-fulfilling as I played Garry 3 times and won all 3. Therefore by definition I had an easier opponent on 3 occasions because I finished higher at the end of qualification, but I only finished higher because I beat Garry 3 times.

It was nice to play you twice and win both ;)

As i was saying to Paul on the day in order to play people of (nearly) equal ranking, you would have to use the IFPA rank as the weighting, the players rank in the queue which is closest to the player just finished is paired.

It was nice to play you twice and win both ;)

As i was saying to Paul on the day in order to play people of (nearly) equal ranking, you would have to use the IFPA rank as the weighting, the players rank in the queue which is closest to the player just finished is paired.

Some people don't have an IFPA ranking. Regardless, I think so long as players are matched up to try and more evenly balance the *spread* of opponents, it should work nicely. Andreas (who develops the MatchPlay software) has a forum for handling user suggestions, so once we've formed some thoughts about how the balancing should work then we can add the suggestion there and vote on it.

My early thoughts are exactly as Wayne said - when pulling an opponent from the queue, pick from the least played opponent, and the person waiting longest in the queue as a second sort. Would be worth trialling (maybe with a monte carlo simulator) to see how it plays out. In some unusual circumstances it could mean a person is in the queue for a long time, and so detrimentally affect their number of games played.

Back
Top Bottom