What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

noob first nib advice

Dust2000

Registered
im looking at getting my first nib or newish 2nd hand machine in the next few months

any advice?

im looking mainly at Met pro or perm

or GB pro or premium

or poss a Aesosmith pro

maybe a star wars LE

call me indecisive!

any view on the best of those

ive played aerosmith pro and ghostbust pro which I btoh really liked but I guess metallica is my fav theme but ive not yet had a chance to have a go on it yet

also are all the sellers similar I see there's liberty, home leisure and preston pinball?

home leisure offer 6 months free then pay at end which seems like a good deal

any other advice? esp the difference between the pros and premiums on those mahcines?

thanks matt

Personally if i bought a nib I'd be using Phil at Pinball Heaven. I'm sure alot on here would say the same.

Good choice with MET too. Great game and if you decide to sell you won't lose too much on it as everyone wants one.

Phil at pinball heaven without a doubt if NIB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What the others said.
Try to choose the one you like best and get input from others who'd play it as well.

As everyone else is saying get NIB via Phil at pinballheaven. Great service, always on the end of the phone or via email if you have problems and an extended warranty (proper warranty) you would be mad to get elsewhere even if saving a few quid.

Another bit of advice would be to play the game before you buy it, lots of different opinions on different games on here but the only one that really matters is yours as you will be stuck with it or be taking a major loss if you get a machine you don't end up liking.

Put a post up asking if anyone has one that you could call and have a few games on before deciding, most people are more than happy to have visitors call and see their pride and joy (pinball machines)

thanks for the feedback like I said I have played aerosmith and ghostbusters at chief coffee and there's a place in Clapham that has a metallica pin so i'm going to try then then make my final decision.

cant wait - wish I could have all 3 but only have room for one, I will probly get one then trade it up for another every year or so I guess people do that a fair bit.

looks like phil is the place to go - I have reached out to him and he should be getting some stock in shortly so all good

Met or GB out of those choices.

AS I think whilst pretty is pretty weak still early days for it but Met has Lyman coding and GB had Dwight coding, definitely the two strongest programmers in Stern. AS has donnie who's games have never been held in high regard. And definitely buy from Phil.

if you can see if you can play spiderman - Spiderman Vault is a great first pinball. I have the original for a couple of weeks and its fantastic. The Vault edition is beautiful.

Neil.

"cant wait - wish I could have all 3 but only have room for one, I will probly get one then trade it up for another every year or so I guess people do that a fair bit."

No one does that...............:rolleyes: :popcorn:

Thanks guys.

Right now, out of your list I have in stock

Aero pro/premium
GB pro/premium

Met pro coming
Star Wars coming
1 Star Wars LE left from my allocation!

As for HLD finance..... this is why I don't and won't offer finance....

An acdc pro -6195, buy now pay nothing for 6 months then you can spread the cost!
Total Amount Payable £9,095.52
Cost of Credit£2,900.52

Pinball machines are expensive enough without paying 3k finance fees, you could get a Premium/JJP game for the difference.

Get yourself a 0% credit card instead!

Phil

Last edited:
Everything everyone else has said. If you are new to the hobby, I guess you might be concerned about the maintenance of your first machine. NIB will negate that concern.
But... you might turn out to enjoy the hobby. A big part of the hobby is learning how to fix and maintain your machine. It's been very rewarding for me and as much fun as playing machines.
This site has so much expertise and more importantly, so many helpful people too.
Don't underestimate the likelihood that you will become a pinball addict.
I made that mistake years ago and have never regretted it :)
Hope that helps you in your thinking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 Metallica. I can't see the appeal of Aerosmith as a theme at all (even though I had all their albums back in tbe 90's).

If Metallica had photoshop art of the band then there is no way I would own one no matter how good the game was, same applies to Aerosmith. The Dirty Donny artwork was a big factor in me buying one (Metallica), along with the amazing gameplay of course. Top 10 pin for a reason.

Huh ?

Aging rock band theme vs Aging rock band theme ...........just personal preference/opinion on band appeal isn't it :hmm: For me I'd take Aerosmith :D

They are appealing to the market. Ageing men who listen to ageing rock bands. AC/DC, KISS, Aerosmith, Metallica - not exactly at the forefront of music. Wouldn't buy a pin just because of the AOR rock theme.
Look forward to Coldplay and U2 themes next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you go to a finance company to buy a new Pinball you are MAD MAD MAD

IF you cannot afford a new game, do not buy one

2k gets you a good wpc game like shadow, fish tales etc. Get one of these instead.

5k gets you a top end wpc game and most modern sterns

Cut your cloth

If you go to a finance company to buy a new Pinball you are MAD MAD MAD

IF you cannot afford a new game, do not buy one

2k gets you a good wpc game like shadow, fish tales etc. Get one of these instead.

5k gets you a top end wpc game and most modern sterns

Cut your cloth

I could not agree with that more! Neither a borrower nor a lender be.

Huh ?

Aging rock band theme vs Aging rock band theme ...........just personal preference/opinion on band appeal isn't it :hmm: For me I'd take Aerosmith :D

I suppose the way I look at it is that they are basically brands more than bands at this stage. Metallica is still a fairly strong and enduring brand, even headlined Glastonbury recently. Whereas Aerosmith has always been more of a guilty pleasure. Just give me an Iron Maiden pinball machine, thats all I ask.

Would you buy a car without test driving it? I'd bet you'd try a pair of shoes on before buying them. (OK I've done both of those but you get the idea) Why would you buy a NIB before trying it? It's a huge chuck of cash if you get a game that doesn't click with you.

There's a MET pro in the Wardour Street arcade although it's in shocking condition. There's another sitting here if you want to come round to check it out, just message me to work out a time. For a premium version I can think of at least 2 forum members near to you.

Join the SE and London leagues to get a chance to play a wide variety of games so you have a clearer idea of what you want. You will get a far better feel for games if you can hear the call outs etc than you might just playing one in a pub.

If you do want a NIB then Phil is by far your best choice.

Buying a game on credit is probably a very bad idea

I've a MET LE if you want to come and play. I'm just 20 mins on the train from Marylebone.

And no, it's not for sale. ;)

thanks yes I will try Metallica then make a decision I believe theres a good one in a metal rock pub by Clapham junction station so that's quite close - if not brew dog in Shoreditch is easy enough.

yes im not getting on credit if I do it will be buy now then settle in 6 months at 0% - buy now pay in 6 months the full balance (not getting credit for that'll cost me 1000s and these things are dear enough! ) - just gives me a few more months to save that way.

I did have a mr and mrs pacman years ago great machine! cant wait to get another

I think ive narrowed it down to a met pro or a ghostbusters premium now

Home Leisure Direct's prices can be very high. It lists titles like no fear, demolition Man, Flintstones at 2800 to 3000. These are all sub 1800 games

It lists getaway at 4000. Getaway is a sub 2000 game

Have you benchmarked prices for used games ? There is a what is this worth? section on this forum where you would get decent view on prices from knowledgeable enthusiasts.

If you are new to all this take care. Plenty of folk get right royally screwed when they buy their first game.

If you want to get screwed, at least get screwed by me. Buy my getaway for 3000. A full 1000 cheaper than home Leisure direct.

Back
Top Bottom