What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noob advice on first pinball

I have seen 2 leathal weapon 3 s on eBay recently and I believe they were between £1000 & 1300 is the supranos pin any good seen that on eBay for £1700 from Germany

Did they sell?

I've never played Sopranos but I think a lot of people like it. £1700 sounds OK to me if it's in good nick.

Thanks for the info I have made up my mind I'm definitely buying one off here the lads seem a lot more trustworthy than ebay

Very sensible. I recently bought a pin off ebay, "great example, fully working, blah blah" and it was just OK. The seller was obviously not an enthusiast and probably genuinely believed that his pinball was in great condition.

Just to give an example of just how badly people can mislead on eBay here is a good example. A fellow forum member was sold this TOM which I believe was described as 'one of the best examples i've seen' by the seller. It took Luke a fair bit of work to get it even to a safe working state.

Lukes videos are well worth watching if you have some time. It's a great way to learn some cool and useful information. :)

Very sensible. I recently bought a pin off ebay, "great example, fully working, blah blah" and it was just OK. The seller was obviously not an enthusiast and probably genuinely believed that his pinball was in great condition.
Indeed. This is so often the case, if it lights up and you can flap a ball about then casual owners consider the game all good.

"You won't find a better one" is the biggest alarm bell ringer for me.

Fortunately, I haven't had that one yet. Yes, it might just trump it.

I had a case once where the guy couldn't power the machine up. So we had no clue what state the DMD was in, nor any of the other workings of the machine. He couldn't power it up because someone had chopped the power cable at the rear of the cab.

We left and 5 minutes later he rang us to tell us he'd got it powered up and it was all fine, but when we asked if we could come back to see it running he just made excuses about how he didn't want to mess around and just wanted to agree a sale.

The whole thing smelt really suspect but I heard since that someone did pick up the machine and is now working on it as a project. In my view the £800 he wanted for a non-runner was over-priced.

Just watched the Tom video and it has just made me realise I need to buy off a honest genuine person because at this point other than switching on and playing I have got a hell of a lot to learn.I just hope I meet some people locally that could give me some help if needed ( Rotherham area ) s yorks

Just ask lots of questions on here and people will help you out.

I got my first Pin off eBay but only after posting a few questions about it here - turned out that it had previously been owned by a fellow forum member anyway and everyone vouched that the seller was legit and above board. As it happens I got a bit of a bargain and i've been hooked ever since.

Edit: Oh, and that video I linked was just Part 1. The other 4 parts are on Lukes youtube channel and well worth a watch, in fact all his videos are really interesting. (Search ArcadeUK on YouTube).

Will have a look thanks .Luke seems to really know his way around a pin.Do you know if the Popeye pin is any good because I really like the look of it and also brings back child hood memories also I think you can pick them up for around £800

Grizz will be along to say yes shortly and will then get ridiculed for doing so.

But it's a matter of opinion - one mans Theater of Magic is another mans kindling..... ;-)

Is it local enough for you to go along and take a look? Keep in mind that nothing is permanent - if you get one and find you don't get along with it then you can always move it on and look for something else instead.

Mick

There is an in joke on here about Popeye that I don't understand, but I'm sure someone will attend to that comment shortly.

I'm pretty new to this too and find these resources useful
http://ipdb.org/search.pl - contains ratings/comments on each machine also place to get pdf manuals
https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100 - another forum site with a top 200 and user comments on each machine

It's great when the first machine pitches up to your house and you have a real pinball!

Not actually seen one for sale was going to ask on here.The truble is I havent played enough machines to know what I want other than onMy pc :)

That's probaly the best idea although I'm fighting myself now really getting ready to buy I can't wait for it to roll up the drive don't think I can go without much longer

Will have a look thanks .Luke seems to really know his way around a pin.Do you know if the Popeye pin is any good because I really like the look of it and also brings back child hood memories also I think you can pick them up for around £800

Popeye or poopeye as its commonly known is slagged off by most. But it's actually not to bad. One of the last if not the last bally williams wide body's. What lets it down is the mini playfield because it blocks the view of the end of the playfield so you can't see what's going on and the call outs and lights don't really tell you what to do

Popeye gets a lot of love from 2 people on this site and a lot of hate from others.

Like all games it's got somethings going for it but it's a hard machine to love. Best to play it before buying one. Feel that way about Last Action Hero and other machines as well. A mention of Theatre of Magic will also polarise opinion pretty quickly

The shadow for sale on here is one I have been looking at would that be a good choice for my first pin lol Poopeye Luv it

The shadow for sale on here is one I have been looking at would that be a good choice for my first pin lol Poopeye Luv it
Shadow is a tough game, not always picked by the casual player, but it'll teach you how to aim for stuff and not just flip wildly. Carl's a known forum member and I'm sure his Shadow is in great shape, so it would be a good 1st pin. Then you can decide what to do next; keep, trade, sell, or multiply.

Note - I have a Shadow and it's great, but I prefer to play Twilight Zone or Spiderman as they're more fun for me, but they're both nearly double your budget. So I would definetly get over to a show or a meet to play the field. You may want to save up a little more.

I'll have a Flintstones up for sale soon. Fun game, if not all that deep.

Agreed, Flintstones is ace, outside of Tron is probably the game I would go to first when at JMPs

Back
Top Bottom