What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noob advice on first pinball

Mick1976

Site Supporter
Hi all my name is Mick and I am a total noob to pinball.I live near Rotherham and have a budget of around £1500 for a pin.I have been offerd a road show for this money in what I have been told is in mint condition any advice would be great thanks for reading .

Roadshow is a good game but condition is going to have to be amazing for it to be 1500.

I guess the question is, how technical are you? Just incase things break, you'll need to be able to fix a few them..

Road Show is ace, love it! £1500 is at the upper end of their value so it'll need to be as mint as they claim. Is it on eBay?

Am sure other RS owners can chip in on what to check for on them.

Roadshow is a good game but condition is going to have to be amazing for it to be 1500.

I guess the question is, how technical are you? Just incase things break, you'll need to be able to fix a few them..

My first pin so I'm going to have to rely on such as you guys for help if things go wrong or get my wallet ready.Im hoping to drop on someone in my area I can pay to service while I learn the basics of maintainance

Welcome Mick.

I've love a Road Show. Nice game and if it's in decent nick then certainly worth the £1500 asking price, but as always a value of the machine will always depend on how desirable it is to you. If you can trust the person selling it and it's a really nice example then i'd say go for it, but beware of people selling Pins on eBay as often they'll say they're 'mint' when in fact they're anything but. Also be wary of people saying 'it might just be a fuse'.

Other than that - go nuts and ask questions on here. People are amazingly helpful and there isn't much you can't fix so long as you're willing to get your hands dirty. And when stuff really goes south you can always pay for some assistance by one of the many professionals on here.

I've been a member of this forum 2 years now and i've been blown away by the amount of help given by the folks on here and the general support by all involved. It's a great place. I think I might have some dust in my eye...... ;-)

Roadshow:p

You may love it (others may hate it). Pins all come down to personal taste. For me the plastic heads wind me up too much. Felt similar about Terminator 3.

It's easy to pay over the odds on your first machine. If you're not familiar with the game try to find one to check out first to see if it's for you. There's lots of good folk on this forum that live near you who I'm certain would let you play their games to see what you like.

Roadshow isn't a rare game. If this one slips though your fingers there will be others that come along.

Worst case scenario, you buy a game and don't like it then they are relatively easy to sell on provided you haven't paid through the nose for it,

£1500 would allow you to buy a lot of good tables.

Thanks for your helpful replies I'm like a big kid when it comes to new toys but with this purchase im trying to get it right first time.

Might be worth downloading the Pinball Arcade on your iPad/PC/Android (or whatever) as there's a few [virtual] games on that to whet your appetite a little.

Will it be worth posting a wanted ad or just keep checking pins for sale until I found this site been checking eBay every day and my heads melted.I have made up my mind I would much rather buy one off here as for some of the posts I have read people do not suffer fools gladly lol

Yep, it's always worth putting a wanted ad up and seeing if something comes from there.

There's plenty of good titles available for the £1500 region. Biased I know but I would recommend Carl Spibys Shadow in that price range which is up for sale on the forum currently. Obviously depends on if you like the game or not.

maybe worth seeing what game you want, or creating a shortlist, then posting a wanted ad - no harm in doing that.

sounds to me like you have £1500 and someone has a Roadshow available for that amount - does that mean you want Roadshow, or is it currently the only option available? Fishtails, Congo, Judge Dread, Shadow all on or under that amount.

Not set on road show was going off the reviews for each pinball I have seen for sale the only pinball I have ever played is iron man and leathal weapon oh and by the way I suck but hopefully will improve with my own machine

Iron Man? Geez talk about a tough start to playing pinball! :)

You can't not get better once you have your own, I know I have (others opinions may vary) :)

Play a game a few times before committing to it if you can. I'm sure we've all bought games that we regretted. Pinball pricing never ceases to confuse me, I would have thought that a mint Roadshow was easily worth £1500. Is it so much worse than something like Indy?

Also, if you are technically competent, you can install Visual Pinball on your PC and try out a load of games to see what you like.

Already got virtual pinball love it also had to laugh because my wife's 8 months pregnant and its cost me a baby to get my fist pinball hope I don't end up with 8 kids.

I love the Elvis one but I believe they are crazy money.To be honest I love the 80s and quite like leathal weapon 3 . Could be a daft question but is a the jaws one a real pin because I have never seen it.

Home brew pin I think for Jaws so a one off. Don't think there's many Elvis's around

Not seen an Elvis for a while but as it's a relatively modern Stern i'd say it's probably nearer to the £2k price than the £1500, and possibly a bit more than that.

I have seen 2 leathal weapon 3 s on eBay recently and I believe they were between £1000 & 1300 is the supranos pin any good seen that on eBay for £1700 from Germany

LW3 is easily a sub 1k game. £900 would be a top price to pay for one. They tend to come up a lot. DE games can tend to feel a bit "clunky" compared to WMS games

Elvis maybe around 2k

Sopranos is a good game but quite hard to source

Back
Top Bottom