What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Night Moves

ronsplooter

Site Supporter
Alias
Chris
Night Moves arrived today and it looks like it should clean up very nicely :D It's a completely original, untouched game from what I understand so it'll need the ground mods doing plus anything else to improve it's reliability. At the moment it turns ons and lights up, display looks to be in great shape but it won't play a game. The flippers and pop bumpers don't seem to work and the ball doesn't get kicked into the shooter lane when you start a game. Some of the solenoids work in the test mode but not all of them so I need to figure out what's going on before I start tearing it apart :)

IMG_4408.JPG

IMG_4410.JPG

IMG_4413.JPG

IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4418.JPG

IMG_4419.JPG

IMG_4420.JPG

IMG_4421.JPG

IMG_4422.JPG

That actually looks in very good condition! No obvious insert wear, and the display cover has minimal wear, so a low play count on this one I guess.

Good to see that the cpu board and display are both working :thumbs:

Should be an easy fix. Probably a bad connection between the cpu and driver board, and or maybe a few transistors out with any luck :)

Cheers gents :thumbs: I'll take some pics of the insides tonight so you can see what it looks like :)

I'll start with checkign all the fuses and then inspecting and re-seating all of the connectors and see what happens. @lukewells is there anything specific to this game or this boardset I should be looking for? This is my first Gottlieb :D

Nice looking machine.

Where does the ball drain ? It looks like if it falls through the flippers it just sits in a V where the two bits of perspex meet. Maybe Im missing something but I cant see an exit for the ball

It's entirely a Gottlieb 80b, so just follow the 80b guides for improving reliability.

Definately ground all the boards, also I recommend jumping +5v directly from the power supply to the CPU board as the power connector gets corroded due to the orientation of the board. I added an inline connector on my +5v jumper so that I can still remove the board with ease.

Make sure to remove any on-board battery and cleanup any corrosion as best you can.

Clean all edge connectors.

Replace the capacitors on the little Audio amplifier/power board, it improved the bass on mine significantly.

Night Moves has a normally open (proper) slam switch, whereas most other 80b games have a normally closed switch, so do not perform the slam switch modification that is normally advised for 80b games.

The game will completely fail to start if the balls are not in the correct place in the trough. If there is a ball in the shooter lane at power on, the game will appear to be faulty

The optos on the trough will most likely need reflowing (you need to remove the plastic apron cover)

Good luck :)

Where does the ball drain ? It looks like if it falls through the flippers it just sits in a V where the two bits of perspex meet. Maybe IM missing something but I cant see an exit for the ball

There's a hole down there for the ball to enter the trough :D

Cheers @lukewells I'll get started on this tonight. Already re-flowed the trough optos :thumbs:

I'm trying to UNHEAR what music this thing is going to play.

Seriously , it's certainly unusual, there are good pictures of the innards on ipdb and it looks pretty tight inside. I'm interested to follow this log.

Optos on the outhole trough, eh?. Another instance of how Gottlieb were ahead of the other manufacturers. I always thought the Gottlieb switch matrix numbering scheme (using the Row & Column numbers) was good sense; Williams didn't take it up until they brought in the Wpc system, along with the timed-out return to the Attract Mode if the machine was left in test or bookeeping.

Last edited:
that made me smile :) according to the reviews I've read the music turns down when the ball drains.

A question for @lukewells ....is this normal and if so what's it all about?

I'm not Luke but it's totally normal and is part of the "machine left of for a long time if it get's upset it needs reseting circuit".

Most pressing is getting that battery off the MPU and seeing how bad the acid damage is... It's probably the main reason why you could start a game...

I have new cpu boards, pop bumper drivers and aux lamp driver boards for the good old night moves! Interestingly, i've sold quite a few new cpu boards to owners of this game. You can't beat the music. I love my gold wings sound track :)

....is this normal and if so what's it all about?

View attachment 13977

View attachment 13978

That's the test connector on the cpu which they use to connect up the reset board. The reset board resets the game if there's a lockup not uncommon on the original cpu, but kind of pointless for home use and is often a cause of reset issues itself nowadays. Leave disconnected!! Usually battery acid has wrecked most of the board and 1 or more riot chips are dead.

I've continued the tear down on Night Moves and discovered that the cabinet breaks down into 2 pieces :) The plan is to give the cab a good clean, tumble the metal and paint all of the black parts. I'm also going to go over each of the boards while they're out of the game.

IMG_4539.JPG

IMG_4544.JPG

IMG_4545.JPG

IMG_4562.jpg

Back
Top Bottom