What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JJP GNR Pinball

Doesn’t seem to be much talk of game play on here. The Pinside thread is still going strong.. but it seems to be more of what needs to be done before you play your first game to stop things falling apart!

Although the pinside top 100 can be a fickle place and I personally never agree on it anyways GnR is currently sitting at No2 so it’s still hot.

I do think it has been a game changer in a lot of ways but only time will tell if it hangs onto or even stays in the top 20!

Either way it’s all good for JJP and things seem to be on the up backed up by there recent expansion and hiring.
This also bodes well for their next outing as we need some stern competition! pun intended.

Although the pinside top 100 can be a fickle place and I personally never agree on it anyways GnR is currently sitting at No2 so it’s still hot.

I do think it has been a game changer in a lot of ways but only time will tell if it hangs onto or even stays in the top 20!

Either way it’s all good for JJP and things seem to be on the up backed up by there recent expansion and hiring.
This also bodes well for their next outing as we need some stern competition! pun intended.
Yeah - I think you are spot on.
Defo a game changer.
Think this will be in production for a while....

I don't think its a game changer, not in gameplay at least. Take the side lights out of the game and you'd never look twice at it. (the LZ ones work better too!)

its different, but its super linear, and very repetitive. I get why the JJP folks went the way they went, which was to get as much of the songs to play for as long as possible but I don't think its needed, I get to the end of a song on IMDN and LZ as much as GNR. I play it a couple of times every day but I never play it for hours on end like I do with LZ and AIQ. Its not a bad game and probably JJP's second best game after Dialed in. I doubt I'll keep mine long.

It will be in production for some time to fulfill all the orders all jjp games are in production for a long time as they don’t have the sheer scale of people to keep pumping out games like stern
I do feel the same as neil with thought with jjp games when I have them it’s always a toil to actually turn them on and play them
I sometimes wonder why stern keep pumping new titles out when they can’t meet the demand for current titles I know lz has been a hugh flop for them but there are still many sold out titles ehoh being one that is in demand

Yeah, I don’t get how it works....
Look at Met, it was in production for 5 years.
I don’t think we will see many vaults now.
Stern seem to have there only little teams working on different titles.
Mando looks like the B team 😜

I don’t quite get the super linear and quite repetitive quote!
Tell me a game that’s come out in the last 5 years that isn’t mode based, and has on end gold that requires certain tasks to be completed?
I own JP2, which most people were saying, and some still are, is the best game of the modern era. That too is linear and repetitive. Paddock, control room mode, T Rex modes. Do these well enough, visitors centre and Escape Nublar.
I generally go the same strategy on JP2 every time, same on my other machine GOTG. Same modes in the same order.
You don’t have to play these games in this way, but you usually do. The exact same goes for GnR. If you want to score big then you need to lock as many balls as possible and get as many mini booster multi ball jackets as possible before starting a song. You don’t have to though, just collect the band members and start a song.
Sometimes people fixate on the GC being the only aim of a game, whereas progression in the game can be just as rewarding.
To answer your question @Dave Bishop I still love the game, but I’m back playing JP2 and GOTG just as must as I am GnR.

Last edited:
I don’t quite get the super linear and quite repetitive quote!
Tell me a game that’s come out in the last 5 years that isn’t mode based, and has on end gold that requires certain tasks to be completed?
I own JP2, which most people were saying, and some still are, is the best game of the modern era. That too is linear and repetitive. Paddock, control room mode, T Rex modes. Do these well enough, visitors centre and Escape Nublar.
I generally go the same strategy on JP2 every time, same on my other machine GOTG. Same modes in the same order.
You don’t have to play these games in this way, but you usually do. The exact same goes for GnR. If you want to score big then you need to lock as many balls as possible and get as many mini booster multi ball jackets as possible before starting a song. You don’t have to though, just collect the band members and start a song.
Sometimes people fixate on the GC being the only aim of a game, whereas progression in the game can be just as rewarding.
To answer your question @Dave Bishop I still love the game, but I’m back playing JP2 and GOTG just as must as I am GnR.

fair challenge, from my POV:

plunge - watch the plunge go straight down the middle two or three times,
finally get the ball on flipper,
Do the sub-multiballs x4
lock the ball in the head
activate the band (which you mostly do by accident doing the other things)
start a song
follow the song instructions
keep going and adding a ball
repeat repeat repeat

and for the songs it just feels like there is little variation and it feels like you are woodchopping a lot, luckily I like most of the songs.

I'm not saying its a terrible game I'm just saying its good but not great. I think the album modes and the tour functions need more, they are working on it still, but I think the flashing lights have made this feel better than it really is.

Without a lot of changes its probably not a tournament game although this week I'm going to have a go at some tournament settings to see if I can make it work.

With LZ there is variety in the tour modes, you've got the icarus multiplier the platinum record achievement and three maybe four different ways to approach the game. Anyone who isa tournament player is going to LOVE LZ.

Neil.

fair challenge, from my POV:

plunge - watch the plunge go straight down the middle two or three times,
finally get the ball on flipper,
Do the sub-multiballs x4
lock the ball in the head
activate the band (which you mostly do by accident doing the other things)
start a song
follow the song instructions
keep going and adding a ball
repeat repeat repeat

and for the songs it just feels like there is little variation and it feels like you are woodchopping a lot, luckily I like most of the songs.

I'm not saying its a terrible game I'm just saying its good but not great. I think the album modes and the tour functions need more, they are working on it still, but I think the flashing lights have made this feel better than it really is.

Without a lot of changes its probably not a tournament game although this week I'm going to have a go at some tournament settings to see if I can make it work.

With LZ there is variety in the tour modes, you've got the icarus multiplier the platinum record achievement and three maybe four different ways to approach the game. Anyone who isa tournament player is going to LOVE LZ.

Neil.
Would I be right in thinking it’s built round the premise of getting the music on for as long as possible ? Takeaway the music and it doesn’t stand up so well ? I felt the original DE was quite a good balance, although I think I’m doing well when Paradise city plays. Never heard November rain - I think that’s indicative of my skill rather than space in a sound ROM.

Last edited:
Any word on JJP adding the alternate time based game play mode, similar to Safecracker, unlimited balls for n minutes? Eric mentioned it on one of the podcasts.

Would I be right in thinking it’s built round the premise of getting the music on for as long as possible ? Takeaway the music and it doesn’t stand up so well ? I felt the original DE was quite a good balance, although I think I’m doing well when Paradise city plays. Never heard November rain - I think that’s indicative of my skill rather than space in a sound ROM.

its about have a great performance during the music by hitting the right shots at the right time but when you have 6 balls of multi ball and you can't cradle it becomes a bit of brick central.

Neil.

its about have a great performance during the music by hitting the right shots at the right time but when you have 6 balls of multi ball and you can't cradle it becomes a bit of brick central.

Neil.
I think the best way to play the songs is to either lock a few balls on the guitar neck or just let some drain. Then try and pick off your shots. Nothing stops you trapping up as long as you continue to hit enough shots. If you can hit the shots you won't get booed off.
I'm not good enough to do that, but any good players should be able to.

Some of the songs give you lots of shots to aim for and others only a couple. Some songs have the shots strobing across the playfield, so quite a bit of variation in the songs.
I'd defy anyone to not get sweaty palms when you're on 60-70 million jackpot and you need to hit that scoop sooo bad!!

My take @Neil McRae is it's just a different game completely to anything else. Played in a different way.
Is it better than JP2? No, it's just different.

Anyone have issues with flipper fade? I’ve just ordered Pin Monk fans for G&R, along with set of Cliffy’s (4week delay).

im thinking about the Pinwoofer set up.. anyone have this already?

yes and I just got three sets of cliffys for me Julian and Stag.

something needs doing with the sound but I think the cab design makes it hard.

@Dave Bishop any chance I could jump in with a set too? Let me know and I can pp you and we can sort out any postage/import costs when they land

Back
Top Bottom