What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New EU Tariffs push pinball prices up 25%

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
as chris says, Norway not in the EU so the 25% duty plus 25% VAT - so government in Denmark get 50% BOOM!

This really doesn’t look too good 😬

Pay particular attention to this section:-

‘Britain is expected to argue that it inherited the right to impose tariffs under rules of state succession, because it suffered harm from the U.S. subsidies covered by the case.,

‘But it is also expected to face U.S. counter-arguments that the WTO ruling in its favour expires when it leaves the EU.’

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-u...rcraft-subsidy-case-uk-official-idUKKBN2802PY

Someone help me figure this all out. Essentially the EU bro's have slapped a 25% tariff on goods coming in from our colonial cousins across the pond in retaliation to The Donald's own tariffs. The UK voted to leave the EU because of border control, bananas and fishing etc and are technically allowed to negotiate our own tariff with the Yanks which we'll likely **** up or take forever to do. In the meantime we'll switch to WTO (not sure what this is exactly) rules? I guess what I'm asking is wtf is going on and more importantly when will GnR land at a slightly less bonkers price?

Someone help me figure this all out. Essentially the EU bro's have slapped a 25% tariff on goods coming in from our colonial cousins across the pond in retaliation to The Donald's own tariffs. The UK voted to leave the EU because of border control, bananas and fishing etc and are technically allowed to negotiate our own tariff with the Yanks which we'll likely **** up or take forever to do. In the meantime we'll switch to WTO (not sure what this is exactly) rules? I guess what I'm asking is wtf is going on and more importantly when will GnR land at a slightly less bonkers price?

I like the way you talk young man. I'm looking forward to an understandable paint by numbers reply. 😉

All i know is my sales for new boards & products split looks like this:

USA 50%
Europe 35%
Rest of World (mostly Canada & Australia) 13%
UK 2%

So i'd quite like to continue to be able to sell to my 2 biggest markets without a load of hassle and red tape please. Saying things like 'well the usa market is the only one thats important' for me is a total non starter and i doubt i'm the only one running a uk business that thinks like this. So yes with this in mind the uk government needs to keep both the usa and europe on side, so the airbus comment about a shared 4way partnership is valid. And yes i understand the complex nature of trade between countries. Amazing...

We just didnt need all this **** . Why it happened in the first place is beyond me, or why it couldn't have waited another 20 years until i was nicely retired... **** sake

Last edited:
All i know is my sales for new boards & products split looks like this:

USA 50%
Europe 35%
Rest of World (mostly Canada & Australia) 13%
UK 2%

So i'd quite like to continue to be able to sell to my 2 biggest markets without a load of hassle and red tape please. Saying things like 'well the usa market is the only one thats important' for me is a total non starter and i doubt i'm the only one running a uk business that thinks like this. So yes with this in mind the uk government needs to keep both the usa and europe on side, so the airbus comment about a shared 4way partnership is valid. And yes i understand the complex nature of trade between countries. Amazing...

We just didnt need all this **** . Why it happened in the first place is beyond me, or why it couldn't have waited another 20 years until i was nicely retired... **** sake
The tax is coming into the uk, will it effect you exporting?

The tax is coming into the uk, will it effect you exporting?
I was talking generally abut the 1st jan and brexit as a whole from my position, but on importing yes if the 25% still applies then the tz panels that i just finished working out how to distribute here, are going to get a price increase. totally out of my control, which is annoying. I guess they'll add the 25% before vat aswell so you'll pay twice for the 25%

I was talking generally abut the 1st jan and brexit as a whole from my position, but on importing yes if the 25% still applies then the tz panels that i just finished working out how to distribute here, are going to get a price increase. totally out of my control, which is annoying. I guess they'll add the 25% before vat aswell so you'll pay twice for the 25%
Ah yes forgot about those, also is the 25% on top of shipping? So basically cost of goods then add VAT then add 25% onto that?

I always hated how VAT gets added after shipping as can really bump the price if a large of heavy item.

Only goods of US Origin are affected on the tariffs.

Brexit - pretty sure there will be a deal - Europe needs it more than we do.

I always find this rhetoric rather funny. Not entirely sure it's true if it's 27 versus 1, and two of those 27 are larger economies than us.

What will probably happen is that things they rely on us for, they'll just buy elsewhere, with some temporary interruption in the mean time.

I always find this rhetoric rather funny. Not entirely sure it's true if it's 27 versus 1, and two of those 27 are larger economies than us.

What will probably happen is that things they rely on us for, they'll just buy elsewhere, with some temporary interruption in the mean time.

I think the point was we are net importers of goods, whilst a net exporter of services.

Dynamics change and things can be obtained elsewhere.

It will be a mix of both I would imagine.

Sent from my Atari 2600

My father in law owns a very large UK based haulage firm. He has said that his European counterparts are putting a lot of pressure on the Brussels to make a deal with us.

I was cynical until I spoke to him but he's anti Brexit and wouldn't lie. He's said that no matter how bad we think it will be for us it's worse for the Europeans.

So assuming that this tariff continues to apply after we leave the EU at the beginning of January and that there is no obvious end in sight, what happens to the R&M / GnR machines that have been paid for in full and are currently sitting in the States waiting to come over? Can we look to sell them to US buyers to recoup the costs, or are we faced with either an indefinite wait or paying 25% on top?

"We hold all the cards", "Easiest deal ever", "They need us more than we need them", "Oven ready deal" so on and so on for years now. And yet here we are, days away from crashing out and people are still saying these lines. :rofl:

Crashing out of what? Where is the crash? I’m quite happy not to have a deal with Europe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Crashing out of what? Where is the crash? I’m quite happy not to have a deal with Europe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh lord, its time for me to step away from this thread. Somebody just lock the frikin thing now please..

Comments like this are just inviting an argument.

Last edited:

this is my frustration on all of this, you have balloons in project fear going on about crashing out when there is no crash and then we have those that don't understand how the world actually works. The UK should be a net exporter, we are with _every_ other country in the world except the EU and before the EU we were an net exporter, because the EU has manufactured a single market that creates a false marketplace and poor efficiency and subsidised costs; we end up importing stuff we already have or that we could get cheaper from somewhere else - We even import freaking electricity!

Let’s leave this as a discussion on the import tax and the implications on that. News on changes and facts about how it effects us.
Opinions on either side of the BREXIT debate probably don’t help to help us all move forward.

I feel for anyone who makes their living from importing or exporting pinball parts at this time and hope these issues are short lived.

I take it this 25% increase affects colour DMD’s too ?
Depends how they declare it on the customs form, if its declared as some sort of pinball mod then probably yes? but if they declare it as just a monitor/led display probably not. I think the mod/parts suppliers could get quite creative with there descriptions to avoid this tax but a pinball machine is a pinball machine sadly cant so easily hide that one :(

Back
Top Bottom