What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NERG 2015 - Back to the NERG!

Oh no Carl, it was serious ****, was also my final game on what was my Spiderman before @replicas bought it back off me, went out on a high, didnt even have to play my last ball :)

Not that it will happen again anytime soon though

that looks like an interesting venue. the dude that runs it put some videos on the about-us page of his website. he clearly has big plans so i wish him well with his geek cafe idea where 'the squares form a circle'. excellent news for Durham. i played this BTTF and it's a beauty, made my old one look very shabby in comparison.

i just got home from the Geordie shores. thanks for organising a great event @Big Phil and all the NLP boys for keeping everything running smoothly, and all the folks who provided games for us to play on. good to put some faces to some forum names - nice to meet @newdos and @Steve C and @DRD and Eric my roommate who is a wrestler and also operates 45 games as Paisley Pinball (wowser, impressive, is he on here?). lots of fun games to play including some new ones for me like Raven and Wheel of Fortune, plenty of the usual boozing and acting the goat, and i enjoyed watching @ronsplooter put the GC score up on @JMP's Robowar and was pleased to get my initials on a few games myself as well (SM, MM, BTDK).

i did another video of just the pins:

Just got back from NERG, amazing event, great atmosphere and great selection of pins and video games. Massive thanks to Big Phil for making this happen

'As it do happens' (as they say) - I'm due to be spending tomorrow in Durham, busy day planned, but hoping to wangle enough time to pop in the cafe, have a few games & a drink before heading back down to sunny Exeter.

The raffle winners!
Pin ball machine - Dark Matter - claimed at NERG
Back to the future bundle - Simon Hook - online ticket, to post out
Play station bundle - Jim Cain, online ticket, to post out
Retro Gaming Bundle - Mark Blenkinsopp, voicemail left, to post out
Back to the Future hat 1 - Liam - claimed at NERG
Back to the future hat 2 - Simon - informed winner, to post out
Back to the future trading cards - Mike Morris - online ticket, to post out
Back to the future blu Ray - Jim Cain - online ticket, to post out
£25 retro game shop voucher - Chris Hutchinson - claimed at NERG
£20 voucher & mug - Stacey Richardson - informed winner, to post out
Mug & cinema tickets - Rob Laverick - claimed at NERG
Captain America poster - Mick - informed winner, to post out
Marty McFly toy & t-shirt - Jon - informed winner, to post out
Game boy Advance - Eric Barwell - online ticket, to post out
Gameboy colour - Kris Boag - claimed at Nerg
Dr Emmett Brown toy - Robert Laverick - claimed at NERG

Huge thanks as always to you guys for your support. Without it, this event wouldn't happen. You tirelessly work your socks off before, during and after the event. All for the love of the game......and what do I give you in return? A pint glass......

You all know I wear my heart on my sleeve and I honestly thought this was going to be the last NERG. But on speaking to my family, friends and you guys.....plus receiving all the amazing feedback, it looks like it's going to happen again next year.

I can't thank you all enough. I know it's hard work but it's always an amazing weekend.

Supporters.JPG

Great event Phil and glad to be a part of it - look forward to next year now!!!

Cheers Kev

First post, Just wanted to say a big thankyou to all organisers and helpers, took my 13 year old son to his first pinball event, we had a fantastic time (apart from him enjoying Lord of the Rings the best).
Thanks Gav

Massive thanks to @Big Phil and everyone else involved for organising such a great weekend. Top quality event and the sights of Newcastle city centre of a weekend including the kebab house that sold beer and cake....Poi's order of "Pepperoni and Strongbow" was genius :D

IMG_6134.JPG

IMG_6142.JPG

IMG_6140.JPG

IMG_6144.JPG

IMG_6149.JPG

IMG_6147.JPG

IMG_6143.JPG

IMG_6138.JPG

IMG_6153.JPG

IMG_6151.JPG

IMG_6148.JPG

Well guys after a long weekend at NERG and my WH20 sound card playing up - i am amazed it was still working last night when I got it home - but today its not so good but I think you can easily see why - a few cappys and resistors to replace and she will be up and running again. I fixed the VUK the shaft was 6mm too long now its perfect, but just as I was about to get the 'bell end' award for breaking Marks WH20 and then Paul Garner stole it from me (but we wont go into that lol!!) it looks like it may go to my mate Chris, who was about to put a probe from his meter onto an earth screw right next to connector J108 of the power board when there was an almighty arc !!! It turns out that the connector states all pins are N/C but in fact the pin nearest the earth screw has 72V DC on it no wonder there was a flash!!!! looks like you caught that pin Chris and grounded it to the screw - Oops!!! Anyway all is working now and we learn a lesson every day lol!!! Here is a close up of said soundcard before I repair it !!!

@replicas @TYHO

IMG_0361.JPG

Ahhhhh it was late, I was tired, and there may have been some confusion over what was the correct order when packing a pin.

Turns out you apply ratchet strap, THEN lift the pin up. Thank god NERG has nice soft rubber floor :oops:

Ahhhhh it was late, I was tired, and there may have been some confusion over what was the correct order when packing a pin.

Turns out you apply ratchet strap, THEN lift the pin up. Thank god NERG has nice soft rubber floor :oops:
HAHA!!!! like it Paul but see my post on the WH20 - think Poi stole your award anyway!!!

Cheers Kev

For fatigue induced idiocy, I could the winner here.

Got home absolutely shattered on Sunday evening after a 2.5 h drive. Needed to remove pinball from the camper so I could go away in it for the wife's bday yesterday. It needed bits returning to it and packing on Sunday night

I normally take the backbox off, as I need to do so to get it in my house. But for ease, and an overnight stay in the workshop I left it on. This, I learnt, totally altered the balance on my sack truck as the vector head is extremely heavy as it has two backglasses. Was too lazy to strap the game to the truck as I normally do. Was too lazy to move the van to safety. Was too lazy to go further up the drive to make it a smoother transition from drive to lawn

So as I was reversing the barrow, the game toppled slightly where drive meets lawn. Without a strap I could not halt the tip. So I had to make the best of it and rapidly lower the sack truck to create an impact point closer to the ground, minimise damage to game and van. It then hit the camper at low speed damaging the side panel. It looks like dent only not paint, but will doubtless be a 200 quid job.
image.jpg

Vector was unscathed, the true nightmare of broken back glasses did not happen, as the panel slowed it down. But a very expensive way to end nerg

Last edited:
Oh wow, sorry to hear that man! I got all my machines back unscathed. Think I was relaxing with a beer about 10pm.

Huge thanks again to you guys. It just works seamlessly! One less thing I have to worry about.

Oh, and a big thanks to Chris(Poi) for going though pinball basics with Dan(Dark Mater Cafe), the winner of the BTTF machine. He had it setup in the cafe on Monday morning for people to play. One more pin released back into the wild :)

Great to see NERG getting more popular, the hall felt packed out with stuff and far less roaming space than previous years although I have to say I was really disappointed with the pin line up this time around and so I only came for a few hours on Saturday instead of doing 2 full days like I usually do. Felt like there were a lot less than last year, and no new Stern machines or JJP's etc. What happened there?

Back
Top Bottom