What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete My first decal job on my RFM !!

If you need a quick fix for a squeegee and have any felt pads (large) like you put under furniture to stop them marking the wood floor then use some of that with a hardish flat/ smooth bit of plastic/ wood to make a temp application tool. If not i can sell you a 130mm felt edged proper jobbie and post it out Monday if need be ...

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ok Guys here it is one side of the head done first - Scary stuff!!!!!

The decal quality is crap. When I have trimmed the edges the top black colour is flaking off!!!! I have had to touch it in with a black paint pen. Is this a common problem ???

Inevitably for my first attempt I got a couple of tiny air bubbles in it. Guess you just pop these with a pin then roller over ???

For first attempt not bad me thinks!!
P4060024.JPG

Ok Guys here it is one side of the head done first - Scary stuff!!!!!

The decal quality is crap. When I have trimmed the edges the top black colour is flaking off!!!! I have had to touch it in with a black paint pen. Is this a common problem ???

Inevitably for my first attempt I got a couple of tiny air bubbles in it. Guess you just pop these with a pin then roller over ???

For first attempt not bad me thinks!!
View attachment 6490
You normally get white edges along the decal where you trim it , it is the original vinyl colour before printing. I have not seen the black "flake"off. As for air bubbles , prick them with the finest needle you have and roller them out or I found pushing out small ones wither thumb works quite well . Looking good though Kev , there will be small imperfections , but on the scale of things you would have to go through it with a fine tooth comb to notice these when the machine is all back together

Sounds like the decal is not laminated. If its a 'cheap' screen print that also could flake off if not printed in a quality vinyl with quality ink, screen is normally more resistant to wear without lamination. Tbh the white like lee said is the original vinyl colour as most use white as not many print white let's say on a colours vinyl. Pin or scalpel the bubbles and thumb out as already mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had flaky decals before. I think it's to do with the temperature being too low and the ink loses it's flexibility?

Once the decal is installed it doesn't need to be flexible, but always warm them and lay flat before applying, and use a super-sharp scapel to trim the edges.

Don't mess with the air bubbles just yet, they often go on their own after a few days.

Thanks guys all comment appreciated and thanks to lee for lending me the tools to do the job. Top guy!!

I got the decal off the guy I bought the rfm from Marc Evans and he is a great guy. The front decal has the genuine bally Williams hologram on it so guessing they are decent ones.

Biggest problem so far has been peeling the backing off - it creased slightly and left a crease in the decal and the black paint flaked off again!! pants!!!

All a learning curve though. Still looks a hundered times better than the originals that were on!!!

P4060028.JPG

Look at the pic below - the front decal (with the bally Williams hologram on it) has the registarti9on marks actually on the decal !!!! what the bloody hell am I supposed to do now ?????

Here's front of cab with decal on and reg marks lol!!!!

Should give it a bit of a clean before I took the pic though!P4060032.JPG

I have had the RFM flakey decals, they were a bad batch from Wayne in Oz.
Pain in the area you just need to be very carefull.
Congrats on your first decal job you will be giving advice shortly job well done.

It's unique, that's pretty cool either way, can't wait to see it finished now.

Wonder how many of these missing saucer decals even exist.

What guys?? should there be saucers on the front decal ????

yeah, just looked on ipdb and blow me there are saucers!!! So are these decals really old ??? could that explain the crap quality ?

Maybe these decals were just a bit dodgy, my fish tales has a dodgy mark on the playfield, almost like the screen was blocked with a bit of masking tape.

Seen a few examples on line but never seen another like it in the flesh.

Will get some pics up if anyone is interested.

In the end, if you do a good job of the re decal, it's all good news.

:)

Just to show you guys this is what the decals are like even when I just un-roll them. make things quite a challenge!!

You can just see in the first pic the decal has a crease in it which will probably flake off as I peel the backing off and the 2nd pic shows that the black paint has flaked off just from un-rolling it !!!

Are all decals this bad ???

Cheers Kev
P4080004.JPG

P4080001.JPG

My Decals on the RFM that i got from Pinball Heaven were fine, not as good as the Fish Tales ones.

The black is never solid on these RFM re issues but cant say i have seen the print just falling off.

Can you get your money back ?

My Decals on the RFM that i got from Pinball Heaven were fine, not as good as the Fish Tales ones.

The black is never solid on these RFM re issues but cant say i have seen the print just falling off.

Can you get your money back ?
Probs not pin munchers as I bought them off the guy that I bought the pin and just assumed they would be ok - mistake and a learning curve!!!

Not all decals are as bad as that batch of RFM ones.
The set I had were the same the black just flaked off and there was nothing I could do.
I feel your pain Kevin, just do your best it's a damage limitations kind of thing and it's not going to end good. Just try your best and I wish you all the luck in your quest, it's a little unfair seeing it's you first decal job. A kick in the teeth would be less painfully. :-o

Only think you changed on a pin2000 was the playfield and translight as well as the roms to change from either swe1/RFM.
The decals stayed.

Yep the pf and translight were inter changeable and so was the rom/ prism card,the decals were eventually going to be clip on thus a total conversion.

Back
Top Bottom