What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mr Dutton - World champion news clip from Oct 1986

Used to use these when I worked on the post office counter in the eighties, I hated balancing. Still can’t believe I was doing that at 16!
As you can see not used for a while☺️
A08EA95C-4D02-4267-8DC3-B1BC1CC38D76.jpeg

Wonderful story. So cool the guy just fixing them up in his shed.

As you've just read in the Andy thread, like you, I too bought 50% of a pinball machine, just more recently. Haha

The pinballinfo members have been brilliant in helping me get it sorted. Brilliant people these pinball people..
Yes indeed. I'm so glad you got it sorted in the end.

When I started buying games there was no Internet and you had to work everything out for yourself.

The friendly advice and support now available here and from the wider worldwide pinball community now is an amazing benefit.

Ha!
It was more a trick of clever marketing.
The Pinball Owners Association ran an annual tournament for the title of Pinball Wizard, which I'd already won a couple of times.
That year some bright spark realised there wasn't actually a World Pinball Championship so the POA one became it!
It was still the same basic event with a few machines in a church hall with possibly a few international players (Marie included!)
I think that year the final was on Indy Jones and we had to leave in a great hurry immediately after playing in the final to avoid missing a ferry to France - If I recall right there were other players after me, so I didn't even know I'd won until later!!
If you look in the attached photo who came second it is either testament to the quality of Marie's playing at the time, or the general standard of the competition (I wouldn't dare say which ;-) )
However, it provided great publicity for me and the hobby - not only was I on local TV but also in several newspapers and radio, including a trip to London to take part in "Midweek" on Radio 4
I also got a tiny souvenir cup which says "World Pinball Wizard" on it, which I cherish more than any of our other glass and silverware!

My actual pinball "finest hour" was 5 years later in Arizona where I beat reigning View attachment 100501View attachment 100502world champion Rick Stetta to bring home a Bride of Pinbot
Video shows Rick, and a 7 month pregnant Marie, looking on; and Steve Kordek formally presenting the game
David I still have the pin you won it is a 2.0 now but got all the original parts and delivery paperwork from 91 and the price sticker that was on the front of the pin with the picture. What a piece of pinball history. Was good th see the video with you and the pin. Great to have a pin with this amazing history.2B6B6615-7770-4093-81FF-0B41071A0FA3.jpeg425E4744-EFFB-4941-A340-C18681A0753B.jpegF6A8F08D-DF69-42DD-9D70-59569808891D.jpeg2A43AB49-0CAA-4395-8BA9-F095ED18C497.jpegED96BFDC-ACE8-4F23-9D9B-A6B15BEE206A.jpeg4DA2276E-36AC-4C81-8922-79487C9643CD.jpeg

David I still have the pin you won it is a 2.0 now but got all the original parts and delivery paperwork from 91 and the price sticker that was on the front of the pin with the picture. What a piece of pinball history. Was good th see the video with you and the pin. Great to have a pin with this amazing history.View attachment 100633View attachment 100635View attachment 100636View attachment 100637View attachment 100638View attachment 100639
That's awesome.. truly truly brilliant. Be cool to have DAD sign it no?

This was won and owned by David, then a gentleman in Cambridge, then Judge Dredds, then Replay, then I purchased it October 2016.

Back
Top Bottom