What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mr Dutton - World champion news clip from Oct 1986

Monkeyboypaul

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul G
@DAD (we've spoken and he's cool with this going online)

Courtesy of BBC Look North in Leeds, early Oct 1986.

Sue CRABTREE reps from Leeds where she met Dave DUTTON (World Pinball Wizard) who has filled his home with the machines.

@2.06 - "£25 a machine"! No wonder he's bought so many...

Last edited:
That video was broadcast on a Friday.
On the Monday I started a new job.

I'd been interviewed by, and was to work with, a rather old fashioned and staid very senior accountant with a volatile and unpredictable boss.
Pinball had never come up in our interview, and I think he was wondering what the hell he'd let himself in for!

I still have 3 games from that video, including the Alien Poker which gets used at most league meets here.

Amazing video and fantastic to see David.

Would love to hear your full story of when you won, who did you play, where was it, how many players, what were the games etc....

Always enjoy playing David's "pinball through the ages" machines at the Northern pinball meets. Quality!

@DAD (we've spoken and he's cool with this going online)

Courtesy of BBC Look North in Leeds, early Oct 1986.

Sue CRABTREE reps from Leeds where she met Dave DUTTON (World Pinball Wizard) who has filled his home with the machines.

@2.06 - "£25 a machine"! No wonder he's bought so many...

See - TV's @Will , pah!!!
NLP were doing that waaay before you mate!! : )

£25 a machine :p

Also, how has no-one commented on that calculator. What a beast!

Still that means the very cheapest have moved what - 5 times above inflation?

What a great video.

Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 16.32.19.png

£25 a machine [emoji14]

Also, how has no-one commented on that calculator. What a beast!
Loved a good calculator in the 80s [emoji3]
I had several including a very cool Commodore one.... checking eBay now!

55378008. ...... then turn it upside down. Endless schoolboy fun

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Hard to imagine now but when solid state came in , this would have led to a massive surplus of EM games. So many must have been junked. Before the internet this stuff just got landfilled.

Amazing video and fantastic to see David.

Would love to hear your full story of when you won, who did you play, where was it, how many players, what were the games etc....
Ha!
It was more a trick of clever marketing.
The Pinball Owners Association ran an annual tournament for the title of Pinball Wizard, which I'd already won a couple of times.
That year some bright spark realised there wasn't actually a World Pinball Championship so the POA one became it!
It was still the same basic event with a few machines in a church hall with possibly a few international players (Marie included!)
I think that year the final was on Indy Jones and we had to leave in a great hurry immediately after playing in the final to avoid missing a ferry to France - If I recall right there were other players after me, so I didn't even know I'd won until later!!
If you look in the attached photo who came second it is either testament to the quality of Marie's playing at the time, or the general standard of the competition (I wouldn't dare say which ;-) )
However, it provided great publicity for me and the hobby - not only was I on local TV but also in several newspapers and radio, including a trip to London to take part in "Midweek" on Radio 4
I also got a tiny souvenir cup which says "World Pinball Wizard" on it, which I cherish more than any of our other glass and silverware!

My actual pinball "finest hour" was 5 years later in Arizona where I beat reigning POA_1986_Convention.jpgPOA_1986_Convention2.jpgworld champion Rick Stetta to bring home a Bride of Pinbot
Video shows Rick, and a 7 month pregnant Marie, looking on; and Steve Kordek formally presenting the game

That's fantastic David, that video of you taking down Rick Stetta on Gilligans and winning that absolutely beautiful BOP is an incredible record to have. Thank you for sharing

i notice 9th was one “andy backhouse”. i wonder if it’s the same andy backhouse who was recently banned from this forum. the one who sold the fully restored (not) pin to @biglouieuk ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it will be. Is that thread still available on the forum Alan? I'd like to read it. What is the title? I've had big issues with him too.

That's fantastic David, that video of you taking down Rick Stetta on Gilligans and winning that absolutely beautiful BOP is an incredible record to have. Thank you for sharing
Thanks Craig, I'm lucky that a friend I was staying with videoed it.

Warren McCulloch has contacted me to say the finals machine in the POA tournament was Road Kings. Makes sense since I'm leaning on one in the picture! Indy must have been a different year

Never under estimate your accountant... This is such an awesome story. How did you get into it David? Summer holidays by the sea?

Never under estimate your accountant... This is such an awesome story. How did you get into it David? Summer holidays by the sea?
All started when I was 5.
The guy next door had a small business renting pins out, and he repaired them in a shed in his back yard.
I became his official tester.

From that I started spending all my pocket money playing pins in local cafes etc.
They were just everywhere at that time (mid/late 60's)
I was still at Primary school - parents wouldn't even let their kids out on their own at that age these days!

Bought my first game in my first year at Uni in 1978.
Actually it was 50% of the game, but I bought out the other owner at the end of the year!

Bought my first game in my first year at Uni in 1978.
Actually it was 50% of the game, but I bought out the other owner at the end of the year!

Wonderful story. So cool the guy just fixing them up in his shed.

As you've just read in the Andy thread, like you, I too bought 50% of a pinball machine, just more recently. Haha

The pinballinfo members have been brilliant in helping me get it sorted. Brilliant people these pinball people..

Back
Top Bottom