What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete "Move your Snackbar" - a lighting mod for swinks cftbl snackbar - sending!

Here's my quick review. If anyone has any questions about how I did my install or if something isn't clear please feel free to message me. For reference, I am installing the Move Your Snackbar mod in Swink's Snackbar Version 5..

PACKAGING
Everything was well packed and protected. The circuit board was in an anti-static bag. The LED strips were in clear parts bags, the cardboard shipping box was lined in protective foam. Nothing was damaged. Colour instructions were provided.

INSTALLATION
I completed the installation about a week ago. Like @BigIan mentioned earlier, it's a bit fiddly getting the LED strip lined up behind the snack bar sign, but it's worth the time and patience you put into it. Don't rush this install. Make sure you take your time. I had a few questions regarding the placement of the LED strips, but Davey responded immediately and cleared things up for me.

I chose to mount my PCB vertically so that I would have easier access to the DIP switches. I screwed it directly into the playfield, which @stumblor should take as a HUGE compliment. I like things factory original, and normally the thought of screwing anything into a playfield gives me shivers, but this little circuit board looked so nice I didn't mind at all.

I only used 3 of the 4 provided mounting screws, but all 4 standoffs. The top left corner is the one I chose not to screw down. It was too close to the cable management bracket. On my pin, the bracket is flipped the other way at least when compared to the photo shown in the manual. That made it a little tighter fit for me so I did without the fourth screw. It's solid enough. I wouldn't recommend using less than 3 screws.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Here is what the underside of my Swink's Snackbar looks like with the LED strip mounted.

4.jpg 5.jpg

For the snack bar sign (below), the wiring tucks right behind the 11 LED strip and the whole thing fits snuggly into place. Once screwed back down to the roof of Swink's mod it look like this.

6.jpg

When I went to install everything back into my pin I noticed the wires were swapped on my LED Matrix component. I spoke to Davey about this briefly and he told me this wasn't an issue.

7.jpg

Feeding the new wiring through the vacant playfield hole was easy enough, again just take your time. I connected all the wiring to the newly mounted circuit board under the playfield. The connectors are small, just be careful and use a delicate touch.

POWER ON
I just have to say right away, that I am really impressed with this mod. The Move Your Snackbar looks great. Actually, it looks incredible! I'm really impressed with how it functions. I tried a bunch of different neon colours, and sign patterns for fun, but I'm a sucker for the ice blue neon and pink sign so I put the DIPS back to the default settings. I showed my son and he couldn't tell I had done anything. To me, this shouts perfect mod! One that blends in. It is the perfect compliment to the Swink's Snackbar Mod. Two wonderful mods that no one will ever notice (except maybe my bank account) Ha ha!

IN DEPTH
I was seeing white light pulse through the neon. It was coming from the cool white LED inside the snackbar. Most people probably wouldn't even notice, but it bothered me so I decided to swap it out for a bulbless version.

8.jpg

I am getting a bit of light bleed under the Snack Bar sign. Again, most people won't even notice, but my OCD does. In the image below you can see the thin line of light coming out from under the Snack Bar signage. I have the strip pushed in as far as it can go. The screw placement on the Snack Bar sign really only locks the back in place allowing the front to float a bit. Not a big deal. I'll probably get some black double-sided adhesive, or maybe even just sneak a drop of hot glue in there before securing it. Definitely not a deal breaker.

9.jpg

I noticed the pink from my Snack Bar also bleeding through into the neon. Below, you can see the pink from the 11 LED strip bleeding into the 20 LED strip neon (currently red) at the very tip of the Snackbar mod. I'll probably add some sort of baffle inside to block the light from doing this. Black felt will probably do the trick.

10.jpg

I think I'm going to relocate my 20 LED strip as well. I want to see more light towards the front of the Snack Bar mod near the tip. I have it back too far now and the front isn't getting as much light as I would like. If you have a V5 from Swinks I would suggest installing the 20 LED strip more towards the tip/front.

11.jpg

I am really nitpicking here and I don't consider any of these issues flaws in the product. I consider them flaws in my personality! This pinball machine means a lot to me and I try to give it as much inanimate love as I can. Ha!

CONCLUSION
This is a brilliant mod that I have only positive vibes for. It is a professional build and you can tell that great care was taken in designing it. It really brings Swink's Snack Bar to life! If you have a Swink's Snack Bar, then you are doing yourself an injustice if you do not have the Move Your Snackbar to accompany it. Hitting all 4 of the snack standup targets and watching the lights to the Snack Bar blink on in time to the callout will have you smiling from ear to ear!

Thank you to @stumblor (Davey) soooooo much for taking the time to create this, and to market it to smucks like me that do nothing but have opinions. Huge pat on the back to you! If we ever meet, and I hope we do, first pint is on me. Maybe even the second pint!

Last edited:
Great writeup, thanks a lot Tim! Really pleased you're enjoying the mod. 😊
You are welcome. It is well deserved. Let me know if you'd like me to repost this on PInside or if you'll just direct people here. Either way, I don't mind. Thanks again.

Looking forward to getting that Chase Echo in the mail. I'll contact you about that shortly. Let me know when your Black Friday sale starts. ;)

I edited my post with clickable full size images. I don't know what originally happened. I must have just cut n' pasted them in instead of inserting them correctly.

Any way, enjoy the full size images now everyone!

Back
Top Bottom