What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete "Move your Snackbar" - a lighting mod for swinks cftbl snackbar - sending!

Righty ho! Final revision of the boards arrived today.

1598963716079.png

First board all made up and ready.

1598981116083.png

Now the fun bit.

BETA TESTER WANTED !!!

Needs to be someone in the UK who already has a swinks snackbar. Doesn't have to on the list already.

You'll get the board for a snip (£70 £35 posted) and all you have to do is install, try it out, and then feedback your honest opinion on the overall experience. Honesty preferred - we're trying to catch any mistakes before they get sent out to the rest of the list.

First person on PM gets it.

Awesome job and another forum member shows just how clever he is and how dumb the rest of us are :D. There really should be a thread listing the clever people we have here, maybe even ranking them ( I said ranking! :rofl:).

Ahh shucks mate that's very kind of you to say. But considering we've got people on here who design and build their own homebrew pinball machines, some who design and build raspberry pi based pinball controllers, and some who can remotely diagnose board related pinball issues from memory... I'm a hack!

But I sure can make some pretty lights. 👍

@stumblor Is there an installation guide for this? Or even pics of how it installs with the Swinks Snackbar? I don't remember seeing it. I have been assuming that it fits inside the Snackbar somehow but I don't know if that is accurate. I am just curious as to what the finished look will be.

@stumblor Is there an installation guide for this? Or even pics of how it installs with the Swinks Snackbar? I don't remember seeing it. I have been assuming that it fits inside the Snackbar somehow but I don't know if that is accurate. I am just curious as to what the finished look will be.

Putting it together tonight actually, will post it here when ready 👍🏻

But yes it installs directly inside the snack bar in the same positions as the original strip lighting.

Rightio then! Got busy today doing the (perhaps final) pattern work for the mod before it gets sent out to beta testers tomorrow. Hopefully incorporating some of the suggestions put forward by people. If you think it looks wack, or have any other helpful suggestions, pipe up. Be good to hear for you.

Apologies for the video not being in situ. You'll have to use your imagination a bit! Top strip is for the neon, bottom strip is for the s-n-a-c-k-b-a-r wording.

The patterns as they currently stand are..

Neon
------
Patterns: Mutually exclusive - ie only one can be selected
Colours: 7 selectable options, mixable.

1 - Water Ripple (selectable)
2 - Linear (selectable)

Snackbar
----------
Patterns: Mutually inclusive - ie all patterns can be either on or off, and will play in sequence
Colours: 7 selectable options, one colour only.

0 - Neon lightup sequence (always on, only plays during bootup)
1 - Letters on, letters off. Now with random letter flickers to simulate broken neons. (selectable)
2 - Flash on, flash off (selectable)
3 - Fast individual letters (selectable)
4 - Slow fade (selectable)

If you notice any spelling mistakes etc shout out ;)

@swinks I used a couple of the photos from your docs, hope you don't mind.

(UPDATE MANUAL 8th Sept 2020)

Attachments

• Move Your Snackbar - Getting Started Guide.pdf
    551 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
hi @stumblor, no problems at all - this is achieving what I always wanted to do but lacked the electronic / programming know how.

I noticed a few things and will message you.

cheers

Jady

Davey, what a triumph mate, so impressive.

I don't care what everyone says about you behind your back. This is absolutely fantastic work mate

@stumblor, first of all this looks awesome. Secondly, you are an ass. I have only just met you yet you are my new favourite person on the interwebs. Why are you an ass? It's just my sarcastic way of saying thank you. Your mod has inspired me to dig out my college electronics books and remember Ohm's Law. You've inspired me to buy one of these https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009UKZV0A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I'm actually going through it now with my kids. So far we are only on project 2 but it has been fun explaining what I know to them while learning things myself. I mainly bought it to learn how to Sketch program and see if I can come up with anything cool for pinball and inspire my kids.

So, this is my long winded THANK YOU to you. Ass. ;)

^^ This makes a lot more sense when I say it with a Canadian accent in my head. 🙃

Mate if you need any help or advice with that Arduino, let me know. Great thing to teach the kids!

Okay, so not to push, but I just received my Swinks Snackbar on the weekend. I am absolutely dying to install it. However, I don't want to install it only to have to remove it again in a week to install this wicked-ass mod inside it. So... to not push again, when do you think these will be nearing completion?

Gday Tim. I'm waiting on the final batch of boards to arrive, likely that this'll be sometime next week. If you're planning on installing on the insert (like I did) so the effect turns on when the snackbar does, you would be fine with the version below, which I could make immediately (the only difference between versions is the bridge rectifier that allows it to plug into gi lighting). Up to you @Fifty ?

Hey @Fifty, go for the plug in to the GI lighting - much easier

Also install the snackbar mod now and enjoy as once it is installed the top comes off easy with the magnets, remove the GI socket and swap in @stumblor's mod and go again....

Gday Tim. I'm waiting on the final batch of boards to arrive, likely that this'll be sometime next week. If you're planning on installing on the insert (like I did) so the effect turns on when the snackbar does, you would be fine with the version below, which I could make immediately (the only difference between versions is the bridge rectifier that allows it to plug into gi lighting). Up to you @Fifty ?
Hmm... I must have missed something. There are two ways to install? The version below? Below where?

I want the snackbar to turn on when the mode is fulfilled, so this means I have to wait. Is this correct?

Hey @Fifty, go for the plug in to the GI lighting - much easier

Also install the snackbar mod now and enjoy as once it is installed the top comes off easy with the magnets, remove the GI socket and swap in @stumblor's mod and go again....
Good to know. I haven't looked at the install guide yet. I was going off my memory of the v1 install.

Sorry Tim I probably wasn't being very clear.

The version of the mod that is available now was designed to work with the power being sourced from the snackbar insert (DC). As such it will turn on when the mode does. If that is the way you want to use it, and don't plan on ever having it 'always on' then the current version of the board will be fine for your purposes. I'll be using it like this. I like that the snackbar is only open when it's opened. 🙂

Last week I realised that some people have the snackbar lighting as 'always on', ie, powered from the GI light underneath the snackbar. Since the GI is AC, I needed to add a rectifier to guard against those people plugging it into the wrong source without realising and potentially frying something. Like I said, if you don't plan on doing that, it doesn't matter. Its more of a precautionary revision.

Hope that makes a bit more sense.

Sorry Tim I probably wasn't being very clear.

The version of the mod that is available now was designed to work with the power being sourced from the snackbar insert (DC). As such it will turn on when the mode does. If that is the way you want to use it, and don't plan on ever having it 'always on' then the current version of the board will be fine for your purposes. I'll be using it like this. I like that the snackbar is only open when it's opened. 🙂

Last week I realised that some people have the snackbar lighting as 'always on', ie, powered from the GI light underneath the snackbar. Since the GI is AC, I needed to add a rectifier to guard against those people plugging it into the wrong source without realising and potentially frying something. Like I said, if you don't plan on doing that, it doesn't matter. Its more of a precautionary revision.

Hope that makes a bit more sense.
I would like to use it like you are. I am curious as to what the snackbar does in attract mode if only using DC.

I have the Arduino bootloaded to quickstart (sub 100ms) so it basically hits the first animation for about a second and then turns off again. And then repeats that. Which essentially follows what the snackbar insert does in attract mode.

That's how I would want it exactly.

What did you end up doing with the empty/leftover GI socket?

naughty boy @Fifty :) , check out the manual and enjoy now and then switch over to @stumblor mod add on. v2 through to v5 use the GI and feature lamp and your choice which to connect to. v1 was my first attempt and due to the el wire needed a loom up to the backbox which looking back was a pain - now really quick and simple install as well as @stumblor install.

The first shipment of Nanos has arrived, which means we're now ready to start fulfilling orders 🎉

I'm going to take care of the UK list first, and then follow up with everyone to make sure everything as as it should be. After that I'll then push on with the US/OS orders.

Expect a PM soon laying out the details. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry to Stumblor, I should have uploaded my review weeks ago, got busy in work and forgot all about it.

Ahyhow I got the move your snackbar mod in the post, well packaged and with clear instructions for most versions of the mod, I have a version 1 of the mod that has elwire ‘neon‘ along the roof line rather than the more common led lit one. Also this means my unit doesn’t plug into the light socket but rather has a power inverter/ driver unit. verision 1 didn’t come with a roof sign either, I ordered one from shape ways after chatting with swinks by email.
so the install was very straight forward (other than the already mentioned differences which I believe Davey has updated his instructions for) Basically you need an additional cable if you have the version 1. Like this
04C4885A-8A35-485C-9D21-8AA736881CBC.jpeg
the Pcb that come in the kit is complete with stand offs and screws for mounting on the underside of the playfield, there is no real weight to this board and it could easily be mounted with a few cable ties for those that don’t like screwing into the underside of the playfield.
close up of board screwed onto underside
B1087DBA-E0E9-4490-A7BF-BB9A3674F1A1.jpeg
image furtpheromones away showing positioning beside SLIDE vuk
EBACDAA7-F9C3-4A28-AEB0-01E09E220328.jpeg
the installation of the led strip behind the Snackbar sign is a bit fiddly but easy enough if you use a pair of tweezers or even pliers. Easy enough with your finger, just the aligning can be fiddly
E5080679-97F8-408B-9243-E47629EC2CF4.jpeg
the instructions are easy to follow and the end result is very impessive
0FBC8064-E2EB-44B6-9278-AE599F528353.jpeg
the image above is just bad camera timing it does fill the letters as can be seen below although it is mid animation with only the k and Bar lit
D34EA19C-8C86-45A5-BDD2-93212AF82006.jpeg
hard to capture on the phone but looks really well in person. Creature is on site and have already had a lot of positive comments and even some asking if it always did that (the blinking on effect) as they had never noticed it before..

all in all a amazing mod for an already amazing mod, very easy to install and really finishes off Swinks snackbar. Big thanks to both Stumblor and Swinks for 2 great mods.

i will hopefully get a video uploaded later but it will be much the same as Davey’s above anyhow
Ian

Nice one @BigIan - great write up mate thanks for taking the time, its most appreciated. Particularly enjoyed reading the feedback from the punters ☺️

agree, feedback is always good to know you are on the right path, make improvements and even update the manual if others are not understanding something you have written

plus just nice to hear what people think - makes the project more worthwhile

Back
Top Bottom