What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Tamiya Goodness

Jealous... however i fear it would just be another thing i bought, just about found the time to build, and never got to play with :(

You need a servo, esc speed controller and radio gear. You can get all separate, or buy a bundle. I usually go for seperate. Servos are pretty much std items and same as ones used in pinball

I use these esc speed controllers
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-TBLE-02S-Brushed-Brushless-ESC-Replace-TEU-101-104-105BK-Speed-Controller/402254115400
So far all the models I've done have come with the esc. But some don't of course.

As Jim says you'll need the radio gear, a battery and a charger (which you can buy as a set - I've gone for the Carson sets)

You also need the paint for the model.

I've opted to buy the metal bearings for mine rather than use the plastic ones in the kits.

So you're looking at the cost of the kit + 80 or so quid for the radio gear and paint

more pics of assembly . This df03 dark impact kit is very impressive as it comes with proper ball races and some aluminium parts. On Tamiya you normally have to get these seperate in what’s known as ‘hop-up’ options. As with Pinball you can mod them with upgrades for ever!!

37ABE16B-0AB8-4EAF-A981-15E3687A7927.jpegC87EDB07-7E83-4C79-A8AB-31690850C5D3.jpeg31DB4CD8-ACC1-44F4-BDC8-D5BD3E53C775.jpeg

These are the folks I buy from. They’re on eBay too but direct shows you all they have. They do the bundles too.
https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com...vLnVrIiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiV243YnZ3In0=
Once you have the batteries and charger, future bundles won’t need those. Batteries have come on massively, I use to have packs that would do a series of racing and then drop inside the 5 minute race time so I had to buy more. These modern ones last longer than my kid has interest and we bought two packs.
ESC and receiver are needed for each car, you could then have one controller that is shared between a collection. But then what do your mates play with when they come over?
I still use old crystal sets but finally got use to a steering wheel and do not use a stick.

Sadly @carl lawrence old tamiya's went up in blaze in a house fire all competition prepared 15 years ago that I would have had , remember him saying he had a monster beetle but the falcon was running dynatechs and full metal bearing rather than nylon.

Only thing left is a transmitter remote and an empty dynatech box :( those aren't cheap about £100 a pop on ebay

I'd love to sink my teeth in a kit one day

Wow, I haven't thought of RC in years. Here's my contribution, not Tamiya, but I think it's still counts. I had a Team Associated RC10GT about 20+ years ago. At the time, I didn't have the income to even keep it fuelled let alone to repair it every time I broke an axle. It was a blast while it lasted though!

1.jpg

These are the folks I buy from. They’re on eBay too but direct shows you all they have. They do the bundles too.
https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/radio-control?search_query=&page=1&limit=80&sort=bestselling&brand=37&category=32&is_category_page=1&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJlYmF5QGNhbGltb3JpLmNvLnVrIiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiV243YnZ3In0=
Once you have the batteries and charger, future bundles won’t need those. Batteries have come on massively, I use to have packs that would do a series of racing and then drop inside the 5 minute race time so I had to buy more. These modern ones last longer than my kid has interest and we bought two packs.
ESC and receiver are needed for each car, you could then have one controller that is shared between a collection. But then what do your mates play with when they come over?
I still use old crystal sets but finally got use to a steering wheel and do not use a stick.
I had almost forgotten about the 5 min run time , it was a pain in the bum that was . In the end I bought 4 batteries and a quick charger that I plug into the car for a fast 15 min change , come to think of it I may still have that charger it was in a yellow box !
Jim do Tanya still use the Molybdenum grease for the bearings etc etc ?

Attachments

• IMG_20210102_104436080.jpg
    IMG_20210102_104436080.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 8
Bought my first Tamiya a few days ago, and enjoying putting it together. Bought the lot as a kit for convenience. Adding a few easy mods along the way as I see them on youtube. Wish I'd got into these years ago.
IMG_5920.jpg

I had almost forgotten about the 5 min run time , it was a pain in the bum that was . In the end I bought 4 batteries and a quick charger that I plug into the car for a fast 15 min change , come to think of it I may still have that charger it was in a yellow box !
Jim do Tanya still use the Molybdenum grease for the bearings etc etc ?
Yep, I remember the discussions at weekend meets about what grease was best!!

ceramic grease is mentioned here
F499AA49-3EE1-42DE-AF0A-0305F9E4CE53.jpeg

My folks would drop me off for the day and I had a set up of leisure batteries. I had a whole discharge and recharge rig but sold the lot to fund RC airplanes. Regret that now, I fancy another Javelin too.

Well this pretty much wraps it up for me now
Back in the office tomorrow to access the orders waiting for Tuesday start and back to Pinball electronics :)

One of the best kits I’ve put together so far. Really great quality and I thoroughly recommend it, so if you fancy a top end kit look no further then the df03 chassis - dark impact/avante mk2.

E734CF1A-B28A-4CB1-9CBC-8A6C1FC0A8D6.jpegD534917F-AD19-4F71-BEBB-2B415D5B6DD7.jpeg3ED50400-5318-4085-AFDD-0B6FFB778503.jpegF87BEF44-4A38-4F67-846C-8DC6BCA8C604.jpeg2D4F475D-6D81-4684-BC35-74E6AE72646B.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a couple, a lunch box black edition and this thread has made me dig an Optima Mid Custom out of the loft for a rebuild.
I had forgotten about them until now, and it looks like the Optima is quite collectable albeit in need of some TLC

Post some picks of the optima mod custom. Did that have a metal ladder frame and not the carbon fibre mine had? Still LWB?

Just got these for my kids as they wanted some monster trucks, will be there first rc car so hopefully won’t go through to many spares! Want to eventually get them onto Nitro :D

Attachments

• E64EABD3-87CE-45CC-9762-1BAB6FA9C5FF.jpeg
    E64EABD3-87CE-45CC-9762-1BAB6FA9C5FF.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 11
Yeah they was £130 each so certainly not high end but wouldn't say super low end either but maybe good entry rc car into the hobby for my sons, Its there birthday end of April/start of May so will get to see what they can do then :)

Done on the work front for another year now until January.

This is this years relaxation build, was my first tamiya kit way back when, just re-released this year :)

96982D06-846B-453D-A14F-0FDA02AB434E.png

Back
Top Bottom