What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expired Mirror Blades on 1 mm HIPS mirror (WPC, Spooky, Stern Spike 2) Silver or Gold

Expired Due to no activity
LOTR with metal gold blades as a comparison. The game is a lot darker than Hobbit so the overall effect is not as pronounced.

Attachments

• 20200619_184600.jpg
    20200619_184600.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200619_184626.jpg
    20200619_184626.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 20200619_184650.jpg
    20200619_184650.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 64
Fitted some gold blades on my Hobbit today and thought I'd post some pics.

Overall they look amazing instead of the black space, especially with Hobbits fancy lighting. Easy enough to fit and secure with a bit of double sided tape. I only used a strip near the flipper buttons and the hinge bolt playfield did the rest.

In comparison to the gold metal mirror blades fitted on my LOTR, they are not as good, but it's very close and they are half the price. They show slightly more distortion as they are quite flexible. Also if you look from the sides the depth of reflection is not as clear as the metal blades, they are a touch cloudier. But with both of these things you cant tell from a players position. Last thing, being really fussy, there is a thin white line visible along the top of the blade, but in reality you dont notice it.

Last point, if you are thinking of fitting these make sure you use the protectors from Pinball Center.

Cheers to Xianek for offering them and the great service!
Something is not right... Did you remove the protective film? The reflection should be perfect. Also if you use more than one strip of tape, there should not be any more distortion as with metal blades.

Something is not right... Did you remove the protective film? The reflection should be perfect. Also if you use more than one strip of tape, there should not be any more distortion as with metal blades.

Yes the protective film is removed on both blades. The reflection is very good, but not as clear as the metal blades. They are crystal clear.

Yes the protective film is removed on both blades. The reflection is very good, but not as clear as the metal blades. They are crystal clear.
Perhaps it is the gold color that is different that is throwing you off. I have metal mirror blades and HIPS mirror blades. Just a moment ago I wiped clean a metal blade and used a new HIPS blade to take these photos. It might not be visible on the photo, but the reflection is a lot better on HIPS.

Metal:
20200619_211400.jpg

HIPS:
20200619_211502.jpg

HIPS (top) and Metal (bottom):
20200619_211520.jpg

Yes sorry, the PU ones as linked above.

Perhaps it's a combination of the gold, but the depth of reflection is 9/10 whereas the mirrors are 10/10. You never play a game with your head on the side anyway.

Also Xianwek there were some minor scratches on the blades out of the box. They are going to get scratched anyway but wanted to mention this.

I agree with ‘thewool’, fitted these in Scared Stiff, they look great but the reflection is definitely slightly cloudy & distorted.

039a0e6757be256d93143bcbe9366ed0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Special offer: If you order 4 sets of Mirror Blades, I will cut any other shapes you wish out of the leftover material. The HIPS comes in 1000 x 2000 mm sheets, and it's only enough for 4 sets of blades, but there's a lot of left over space. Please contact me for details. 4 sets + many extras cost 4 x 60 + 18 = 258 EUR including shipping to UK. VAT invoice is possible.

unused.png

Special offer: If you order 4 sets of Mirror Blades, I will cut any other shapes you wish out of the leftover material. The HIPS comes in 1000 x 2000 mm sheets, and it's only enough for 4 sets of blades, but there's a lot of left over space. Please contact me for details. 4 sets + many extras cost 4 x 60 + 18 = 258 EUR including shipping to UK. VAT invoice is possible.

View attachment 111832
What about these plaque surrounds? Made on pinside but very expensive!

I'm assuming @Colywobbles could do colour but maybe mirror would match the games blades?

Screenshot_20200625-091123_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200625-091112_Chrome.jpg

Would set them off nicely?

Two very happy and blinged out pins! Gold in Guardians and silver mirror in SW. Highly recommend, really easy to install with 3M tape due to their flexibility, put the pf up to vertical and held the mirror in place with temporary electrical tape then taped the front to the cab then the back, ran a black marker along the tops once in place to cover the white edge and Bobs your uncle! Def recommended using the protectors linked earlier when lowering and raising pf. Great product and thanks @xianek for the random gifts also!

20200716_221526.jpg

New mirror blades are in stock: silver, gold, or shiny black. With every purchase you get something for free. I also have PET G side blades for a few machines - please send me a private message for a link.

How are the mirror blades fixed?

Are there any screw holes or is it double sided tape?

Thanks

How are the mirror blades fixed?

Are there any screw holes or is it double sided tape?

Thanks

It’s your choice, drill your own holes (which I did on my first set) or just a few pieces of small tape (which I did 2nd time round) - don’t need much tape as they are very light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ladies and Gentleman: I now have mirror polished and laser cut mirror blades as an alternative to HIPS. I will place a separate ad soon. This is just a heads up. Same price as HIPS: €60.

20201008_151206b.jpg

Ladies and Gentleman: I now have mirror polished and laser cut mirror blades as an alternative to HIPS. I will place a separate ad soon. This is just a heads up. Same price as HIPS: €60.

View attachment 121647
Can you cut any for a Stern STLE? Want something super shiny that I can put a black film over with holes in it to great sparkling stars, at least that’s the effect I’m after.

Can you cut any for a Stern STLE? Want something super shiny that I can put a black film over with holes in it to great sparkling stars, at least that’s the effect I’m after.
Then you need HIPS not steel.

Ok guys ive finally bit the bullet and ordered some of Xianek's Hips Blades for TZ ...i know the playfield is tight and wondered what thickness 3m tape you guys have used and if possible a link
thanks in advance
Stef

I’ve only ever used the SS polished blades from ChrisB and the best part is they don’t need any tape as they screw in via three small holes.
I have hips here it’s what I use as a backing for my signs.
FYI I actually hand cut some blades out of mirror HIPs to try on IM but they were too thick.

Even the thinner SS ones wouldn’t fit my TZ’s (I had 2 here) I don’t think there’s any pins as tight a playfield unfortunately.

My solution on tight playfield pins is maybe go art Blades I’m sure PeteB does them and will save you a lot of grief as even if you did get them on they would scrape when lifting your PF and there’s no room for those PU protectors to sit in there that’s 100% taken.

for comparison

7D08CC99-0A87-460B-A0E7-F36CD9F9E257.jpeg

Well... there's another way... You can push apart the cabinet sides by mounting a pole, or a strut. You can easily gain two or three millimeters without this being noticeable at all. Also make sure all plastics and metals don't stick out. This solution works well for tight cabinets.

Ive already re-fitted the return wireform and clear perspex on the plunger side to make some clearance ..might have to file the edge of the ramp a wee bit vut it looks like ive gained a few mm there ;-)

I'm not sure if its the done thing or not but with my Kiss, I had to remove the Playfield alignment brackets?
Without doing this the shooter rod was misaligned after fitting the blades but now its perfect.

had a close look at the playfield on TZ and i appear to have a good 5mm clearance on the lhs of the playfield ...not the case on the rhs thats probably at 1mm so your idea of moving the alignment brackets could solve my problems
Has anyone fitted felt along the wooden side rails of the playfield this might help with the scratching of the mirror blades ?

Got my golden mirrorblades today.
Top notch!👌
Good contact, fast shipping and well packed.
Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201023-221219.jpg
    Screenshot_20201023-221219.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20201023-221130.jpg
    Screenshot_20201023-221130.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 34
Well that didnt take long , moved the lockbar mech a couple of mm to the left to equal out the the way the playfield sat and bingo it allowed just about enough space to slide the blades in...pretty sure i will have to accept these blades are going to get scratched but heck they are 100% a big improvement on the original scraped up sides. Very Happy Bunny with the results thank you Xianek

Attachments

• IMG_2254.JPG
    IMG_2254.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2255.JPG
    IMG_2255.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2256.JPG
    IMG_2256.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2257.JPG
    IMG_2257.JPG