What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Longer Available Maybe TAF Agggghhhhhh

Spandangler

Site Supporter
Hi gang

Can’t quite believe I’m typing this. Anyone who has been following will know I’ve spent hundreds and hundreds of hours since March bringing back to life a sorry TAF.
Bought from Chris B in February for £3.5k, I got more than I bargained for when I took on the job. The bills added up to waaaaaaay more than the asking price but looking for £5950 obo.

In short it has a remarkably good original screen printed cab. Very little damage or scrapes on the cab and some grazes on the backbox which have been touched in. A couple of smal drill holes filled on the front next to the coindoor.

Read the shop log here for the full rundown.

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/taf.39315/page-5#post-276593

It’s had a Chris Platt restored playfield installed
New main ramp
All 4 flippers rebuilt
Pops rebuilt including bodies, skirts etc..
Loads of new switches etc..
New dmd (colourised pinball sp)
Acid damage led cpu repaired
Driver board repaired and 5v rebuilt for bulletproofing
Sound board will be repaired before sale (currently missing the click clicks in the theme tune!! ?)
All done by @myPinballs a few hundred pounds spent I can tell ya.
Sideblades, thing box, ramp decals, backboard decal and bookcase decal installed
Comet leds throughout
Nice shiney legs
Every target replaced,
Every opto replaced
Titan glow in the dark runners installed
Lots more I can’t remember right now. Best off giving me a ring for the full run down and any questions. Pm me for details.

The biggest let down is the translite which has some spillage on the rear which shows through a bit. But it’s liveable and I’m sure the new owner will source a better one.

Now this TAF is.not a mint restoration. It’s also no players machine. It certainly sits closer to the mint resto than the player.
I’d like to cover most of my costs and have enough to purchase a TOTAN.

Reason for sale. I saw Chris b’s TOTAN and I can’t stop thinking about it. TAF was a grail for me but having played the hell out of it for the last couple of weeks, I’m comparing it a lot in rules and gameplay to Funhouse, which I already own. I’d rather have a TAF than a FH but the sale of the FH won’t fund a TOTAN.

Here’s a couple of pics but can send loads on request.
Machine can be played and viewed in Ipswich. Machine. Would need to be collected and paid for in cash ideally.

I know @Vimtoman man was looking for one and I have sent him a message regarding this so he has first refusal until I hear from him (within reason 24hrs)

Shoot me a pm for details.

6F347345-ED70-4C10-ABE2-B14659A8C150.jpeg
73144FD1-A16C-4870-86F4-65E9B38E768C.jpeg
03A2BB76-C285-4AD4-8371-538999C5C128.jpeg
A7B32DC7-29AD-4DB2-A1EE-648517CF304B.jpeg
6C5DADC2-3551-4A4B-87EF-3B2DFCD6C5A1.jpeg
26ABC6DB-6B06-4EFF-8F3F-CFC738D7DBFA.jpeg
A7250E0D-6686-4914-90F4-72190C5064A4.jpeg
461B0745-8C13-4D35-A856-D567E3E05289.jpeg
6AC4C9AA-B640-4143-8A8A-BCC6156E50AF.jpeg

Wow! Maybe take a step back and think about this mate. You only just finished it and you put the soul into it! The journey sometimes takes sone time to get over, before you can really enjoy the game :)

In my view Addams is a better long term collection game than the other 2 you mention. Just my view though

Wow! Maybe take a step back and think about this mate. You only just finished it and you put the soul into it! The journey sometimes takes sone time to get over, before you can really enjoy the game :)

In my view Addams is a better long term collection game than the other 2 you mention. Just my view though

I know Jim. I appreciate the voice of reason. The deal would have to be right. It’s not a decision I’ve taken lightly. I’ve been thinking about it for a few days. But once the seed is planted.....

There is a guy I know rewriting the totan software and adding stuff inc the important auto launcher so the software is getting looked at. Remember the original is jpop rules and very easy...

??? Alright alright. I get it. So I should keep it. Don’t get me wrong I love it. It’s the I don’t want to sell it price anyway so I probably will.

I think you'd regret this decision. You've had a few annoying problems that have no doubt taken the shine off a bit, but it sounds as if you're past that now.

You've got a machine you know intimately (ooer) that can't really have any more surprises for you at this point. There is peace of mind in that I feel that you perhaps can't appreciate right now.

If you wanted to get another TAF down the line I could easily see you spending close to what you're selling this for, with less done to it and to a poorer standard, and have to deal with an unknown quantity all over again. Or you'd have to spend quite a bit more for another restored one. Ratty unknown ones on eBay are going for £4.5k+ all day long and none of the ones I've seen on eBay including the ~£5.5k+ ones have had new cleared playfields in them.

The fact that you're talking about it as being somewhere between a players pin and mint resto is telling as regards your feelings about it right now in my opinion... on what planet is that close to a players pin?? :) Because of some mild translite bleed that I wouldn't have even seen (and can't see now) if you hadn't said anything? There's nothing players pin about it from what I can see.

In short - you're cheesed off about it right now, that much is obvious. Don't make bad decisions based on short term feelings. Also it's too cheap for what it is and what the TAF market is.

Last edited:
Been there, done that and like many others I’m on my 3rd...

Also;
Tz 2nd
Lotr 3rd
Twd 2nd
Tom 3rd (got 2, 1 project)

TOTAN will come down in price, just wait for one. Look at what has happened to AFM prices.

These late, Plastic speaker panel wpc95 games, have been the rich collectors' choice of pinball machine for about 20 years. Even the rich collectors run out of space and have to sell their lesser titles. The rich collectors want NIB TV screen games right now. The number of TV screen games is growing. Hence why there are so many wpc95 games on the market going unsold.

Ok. So apart from me and Huggers, I’m getting a theme ???. I’ll give it until
After Xmas and reassess then ?

Totan is indeed pretty, I had a beauty. It is relatively easy but it does not have the magic of taf. That said, plenty about so get another later.

TOTAN will come down in price, just wait for one. Look at what has happened to AFM prices.

These late, Plastic speaker panel wpc95 games, have been the rich collectors' choice of pinball machine for about 20 years. Even the rich collectors run out of space and have to sell their lesser titles. The rich collectors want NIB TV screen games right now. The number of TV screen games is growing. Hence why there are so many wpc95 games on the market going unsold.
The games getting hit the hardest are the ones that have been re-made. MM, AFM, MB.
So, if TAF, TOTAN, TOM, etc get re-made, prices of those games will trend downwards.
And lets face it, market is going to be crazy saturated in 2019 with maybe a dozen NIB games:oops:

Good point regarding saturation, almost an endless list of new, good machines that for the most part been well received especially with stern upping their game somewhat. The fringe games will struggle to find an audience though, how many of 12 games are high on desirability ? Minsters, MBr, what else? Not that I’m fussed there’s loads at the moment, with a few getting my attention.

You'd imagine the market for cheaper titles will still remain relatively strong. Games around the 2k mark give people a less intimidating investment. Higher end stuff tends to be sticking around a little longer than a few months back

Yeah no surprises and the difference between mid price and a good list of new games isn’t that great.

Ok. So apart from me and Huggers, I’m getting a theme ???. I’ll give it until
After Xmas and reassess then ?

I do think you are mental ...however, if you have scratched the itch and are not feeling the love then yeah ...there is a very strong argument for life is short etc etc. If you are thinking this now ... then you probably have already decided. They are just big toys, and once they are gone and something else is there it's nowhere near as painful as you think.

I should listen to myself really as I'm at a bit of a 'keeper' impasse right now. Something has to give :rofl::rofl:

I agree with the lifes too short angle.. BUT.. I do think - if you pardon my saying so - you're in the wrong state of mind to sell it, if that makes sense. To my mind it would make no difference at all whether you sell it now or try and sell it again after Xmas in terms of the market for it.

The attention you've given this is clearly there for all to see, even down to customised post rubbers, etc. I don't think you would find another comparable TAF without spending a lot more than you are looking to sell this for. I spent a long period of time trying to find a decent TAF, as some know, and ones that I believe would've been comparable to this had asking prices in the £7k+ area. Of course now that I've got one I'm very slightly biased.

EDIT: The above all said - if you have simply fallen out of love with TAF and have turned that corner so to speak, then waiting might not change your mind.

You'd imagine the market for cheaper titles will still remain relatively strong. Games around the 2k mark give people a less intimidating investment. Higher end stuff tends to be sticking around a little longer than a few months back

I said that higher priced games were coming down and was called a mad man...

A MAD MAN!

040204.jpg

Back
Top Bottom