What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Man Overboard - A whitewater project

Doesn't look to bad that Jim - the mine kickout wear, you can get a decal for that. I put one on mine and then clearcoated over it. Colours not a perfect match but pretty close.

Yep it’s a nice honest original whitewater. Playfield is good and inserts are all nice to. Metal not corroded just usual age related stuff. Someone previously did some horrendous ramp repairs involving coffee tins but they are all going in the bin as have full new set. 😁

Yep it’s a nice honest original whitewater. Playfield is good and inserts are all nice to. Metal not corroded just usual age related stuff. Someone previously did some horrendous ramp repairs involving coffee tins but they are all going in the bin as have full new set. 😁
nice one watching with interest

Cheers

Kev

Now was all working correctly except the last lamp was off all the lamp. Lamp no 16. Logic probe out and traced this back to a dead 2n6427 darlington. These are no longer made so i've found 2 alternatives that i stock in case anyone needs some. These are

MPS -A13
and
BC517

Changed it and we were back in business

View attachment 79988
Must be a common fault same transistor was out on mine

Upper playfield cleaned and reassembly part 1. My ultrasonic cleaner really is a god send

D07750F1-C27A-4DA5-8EDF-BD84E0A1079C.jpeg3E1309DE-2891-41AC-A7CF-9BEEC6C78F66.jpegB540F996-2126-4149-97D9-C30C4626BB55.jpegBB4FB1F5-AB30-435D-BEBB-06E2DA4E59C9.jpeg1130E798-F5DC-4E08-A6EC-6E11327DEAC5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d4f.jpegfullsizeoutput_d4e.jpeg

Last edited:
Dirty, dirty dirty. Looks like Big foot is ready for his bath.
Interested to know more on your ultrasonic cleaner if it can change a minging mini playfields into a nice clean one.
Jim, I have a tip on the inserts on your mini playfields which I did on the last Whitewater I did, will let you know next time I see you.

Bigfoot opto board cleaned and burnt resistors replaced

Cleaning wise literally 30 secs in the ultrasonic cleaner! So much better than manually scrubbing everything and wrecking your hands from degergent

B8160B8F-4B9C-49F8-BBED-9742A39C1679.jpeg

Last edited:
What is this ultrasonic cleaner you speak of?

Have I woken up in the future? [emoji16]

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

nothing new. I've had it for over a year or so. Talked about it alot when first got it. I'll dig out some pics and the model number. Its basically the best thing ever for cleaning parts. Just fill with plain old h20 and add alittle degreaser solution. Throw your parts in and 1-5 mins later look like new :) If you are interested in the tech of it -> It uses very high frequency to create millions of tiny bubbles in the water which act like a very fine abrasive

Last edited:
Here's another example of easy ultrasonic cleaning of old brasss rubber points switches. Literally 5 minutes and they are shiny brass again all over. Forget the annoying tumbler!!

before

fullsizeoutput_d51.jpegfullsizeoutput_d55.jpeg

after

IMG_3563.JPG

Another one of my favourite things about the ultrasonic cleaner is cleaning of small wiring looms and opto brackets. Check the difference out here

before

fullsizeoutput_d5b.jpeg

after

IMG_3576.JPGIMG_3577.JPG

So which machine are you guys using, I will be stripping some machines in the near future and I’m up for anything that makes life easier.

Whichever one u get don’t make the mistake I did and think a 2litre one sounds like it will be pretty big.

I got the digital one from this range

I suggest getting the biggest u can afford

So just to be clear is there still some stuff thst is better tumbled, or can you throw anything in the ultrasonic and get decent results?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Some stuff u can get away with just the ultrasonic but personally I’d still use the tumbler for some

Tumbler for rust, sonic cleaner for gunk.

Corroded metal is the main thing a tumbler will still be better at, though I normally replace as much of this as possible anyway so my tumbler gets minimal use now

It’s upto each person how they want to spend their time cleaning parts. I’ve set out my camp and shown what results I get. Now back to my restoration

Back
Top Bottom