What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Lord of the rings full restoration

Hi, all, after a bit of a break I'm back - here's a nice new shiny playfield clear coated by Bill Davis and mailed over from the USA:

DSC05186.JPG

It's difficult to show the quality of the finish in a photo, here's another image with the light fitting in the room reflecting off the playfield:

DSC05189.JPG

I fitted a new plastic set - notice how the new set is slightly darker than the original ones - it seems they changed the shade of the plastics (just as they did the playfield) over time!

DSC05199.JPG

With the loom fitted to the new playfield, it was time to use the fish paper I bought off the group buy (thanks again @Nedreud ) - the very same fish paper I purchased for no reason but thought it would come in handy one day!
DSC05203.JPG

Coming together nicely now - new pop bumpers in place, new plastics going on and a set of cliffy's coloured post sleeves to complement the premium white rubber kit!

DSC05219.JPG

Ramp flaps polished to a mirror finish:

DSC05223.JPG

I polished the spinner too - nice and shiny!

DSC05226.JPG

Attachments

• DSC05224.JPG
    DSC05224.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 8
I had a slight issue with the plastic set, plastic number 51 was damaged and I could not find another plastic set anywhere so I had to make my own replacement. Here's the brand new broken plastic on the right with my newly cut version on the left (still with the protective film over the clear plastic hence the reason it is white!

DSC05241.JPG

Next up I spent far too long on the PC achieving the correct shade and printed tests on photo paper (as it seems to give the best representation prior to using the expensive decal paper). When I was happy with the result I inverted the image and printed it on the decal paper:

DSC05242.JPG

Here's a clear image to show the print is inverted:
DSC05243.JPG

Next up I applied the decal to the underside of my home made plastic - being applied to the underside means the image is now the correct orientation when viewed from above. Finally I sprayed 2 coats of white primer to the underside, the result is (in my biased opinion!) a very good match!

DSC05246.JPG

After that hurdle, the rest was straight forward - simply re-populating the rest of the playfield, I have hundreds of images if anyone ever needs some advice / visual clues when refurbishing their LOTR so feel free to mail me if you get stuck!

Here's the end result:

DSC05250.JPG

DSC05251.JPG

DSC05252.JPG

DSC05253.JPG

DSC05254.JPG

Where did you get the figures for what looks like Aragorn and Boromir on the sword plastics and how did you affix them?

Thanks

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
Beautiful machine made even more beautiful.

@windoesnot - figures came from ebay - they are official LOTR figures - same scale as the originals. I have attached them using clear silicone - it is very easy to remove from plastics so is easily reversible.

Time to fit the old playfield on the rotisserie (thanks for the loan @Nedreud!) and strip the underside:
View attachment 16957
Hi Kev,

Recognise that rotisserie design - it's a Newdos one, that Pete built after seeing mine haha!!! About time you made your own and further improved the design ;-)

Cracking job as ever mate - wish I had the space and the spare cash and this would be mine!!!!

Cheers

Kev

Back
Top Bottom